Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: The Court of Colors | Renascence | Town Win  (Read 114424 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: Day 1 has begun | Act I: Prelude
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2013, 12:38:18 pm »

Thanks! And yes, you can learn from the past and from other fronts, but can't rely on them. And yes, I've read a couple games, like the recent sprint game that Persus and Tiruin were scum in.
So for an actual, in-game question: makeinu: It is MYLO, and both scum are still alive. There are 2 votes on a lurker, and the other 3 haven't voted yet, including the lurker. How do you proceed?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2013, 12:41:03 pm »

Persus13 - You were scum in the last BM sprint game, along with Tiruin. What did you think was the most important part of your strategy in not being targeted? Also, you failed to answer makeinu's question.
Appearing as town as possible, and avoiding drawing attention while making sure that no one would think I was scum.

And I fail to understand how I failed to answer Makeinu's question.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2013, 12:49:07 pm »

•Elephant Parade - You're playing in two games at once, if you have conflicting roles in the two, would a scumtell in one possibly be an indicator in the other? How well can you separate your frame of thought for them?
Hmm. I don't know what the answer would be for the first one. Maybe, I guess? For the second one, I will probably try to focus on each in separate blocks of time; i.e., only paying attention to one for one hour and the other one for the next hour. This might help me a bit, but it'll probably still be confusing. I'm tempted to ask for a replacement in one or the other.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2013, 12:53:37 pm »

And I fail to understand how I failed to answer Makeinu's question.
I just read back, and I see you did, sorry, I didn't see that the first time.
The Derail Thread

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »

So for an actual, in-game question: makeinu: It is MYLO, and both scum are still alive. There are 2 votes on a lurker, and the other 3 haven't voted yet, including the lurker. How do you proceed?

Hmm... I'm presuming from the wording that I'm one of the three not yet voting, and not one of the scum or the lurker. So, I'm going to think this one aloud, rather than just give an answer.

Highly situational dependent. Ordinarily, lynching a lurker is good policy, early in the game. They're not helping root out scum, and presumably good information is gained from their role-flip. MyLo changes that, however. Learning that your lurker was Town playing badly doesn't help when it hands the scum the win. So there's no blanket right answer to that.

It comes down to my own suspicions, evidence from vote records on days past, et cetera. How long has this lurker been lurking? Did they show evidence of good scum-hunting then go quiet? Were they questionable before, and started lurking under pressure? What about the two voters, what's their track record so far? Same for the other active non-voter?

You can only pressure a lurker so much, to be honest, before it becomes counter-productive. So, presuming that the lurker wasn't fairly obvious scum from previous behavior, I'd turn my attentions elsewhere and continue to withhold my vote. At five players, MyLo, you're in serious danger of the scum quickhammering the lynch.

For the record, I watched that exact situation develop in a game I ran once. The scum had successfully set up another player in a solid frame-job and eliminated them, then at MyLo placed one vote on a Townie that had suspicion built up against them from previous days, and waited. Once a second vote came, down came the hammer and the win.

Two votes on a target at MyLo means only one of two things: either the lurker is scum, or both the votes are scum already. If the evidence doesn't point to the former, assume the latter, and start pressuring one or both. One of them will break, because that's just a dumb situation to put yourself in.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »

Well this is a good day. I have been eagerly discussing this game with a very close friend of mine and am eager to see how this goes down. Now let’s start with a few things that are related but are not exactly necessary.

1.   It’s considered good manners to NOT intrude on another players questioning. Do you have an interesting take on the question? Good. Keep it to yourself until the intended person answers it. Otherwise you might cause them to change their answer and ruin the other player’s plan for it. There are exceptions though.
2.    Do not discuss, in detail, other on-going games. For all intents and purposes you have not read those threads. If I say “I’m scum” in one thread it has no bearing on this one. This goes for anything I could possibly say.
3.   The Luker Tracker ZU Edition is your friend. It’s been especially helpful to me. You don’t NEED to use it. But it IS helpful none-the-less.
4.   Have a personal problem with another player? Are you their best friend? Spouses? Too bad. In-game they are nothing to you. It’s sometimes hard to think of a friend trying to betray you. I’ve made this mistake in mafia. Remember though it’s a game so they might be out to get you. Try to maintain an even and fair view of everything and everyone.

Alright that all said I want to address everyone. Later on these become HUGE walls of text so I’m going to familiarize you guys with my way of formatting early on. Every, living, player has a spoiler which contains any thoughts and feelings regarding them. Let’s get started.

Spoiler: makeinu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mastahcheese (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Persus13 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ElephantParade (click to show/hide)

Since it’s so early in the day I don’t really have much else to say but I do have a bit of a blanket question for EVERYONE:

What is your experience with mafia? Also, which role would you most want to have and why?
[/list]
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2013, 01:02:38 pm »

I'm either going to be absent for part of the 2nd and 4th, by the way. Probably ~6 hours.

Do you not have anything to question others on? Any observations on the players who've posted so far?
Not yet, no. I got up about an hour ago, and have spent very little time on this or the other mafia game.

Yeah, I'm going to go request a replacement in the other game.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2013, 01:12:33 pm »

Wow, not only did Limerick mafia and this start on the same day, they started within three minutes of each other. Yikes.

*begins quietly chanting* compartmentalize, compartmentalize, compartmentalize...

Charming, but not really relevant. I'd like to point out to everyone that this sort've joking is fine to a point. Keep focused on the game though and make sure every post counts

No, not really relevant per se, but you'll find that's part of my style at the beginning of games, when there's nothing to go on yet.

makeinu - Thanks for ICing! What advice would you give to a new player who's never played before?

Well, in-training, but thank you!

*dons IC hat*

[[makeinu proceeds to discuss how mastahcheese has done so far and then discusses meta-gaming]]
[[IC advice]][/quote]

Noted, and appreciated.

I notice you’ve only really devoted any time towards Persus and Mastahcheese. Is there a reason you’re ignoring everyone else? Is there a reason you’re only focusing on these two?

None in particular, no. Four of the players here I've been up against previously so far, and of them only Persus has posted. I bounced his question because in two games together, he's been scum in one and town in the other, so I was curious as to what he'd say.

Of the others, only mastahcheese has posted so far, excluding, now, you.

As for ignoring everyone else, I prefer a guided rather than scattershot approach.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2013, 01:17:59 pm »

Sinlessmoon - You're a cop on day 2, the person you examined the night before was the doctor, and they're lurking. Do you try to get them to be more active to keep them alive? How would you go about doing this without starting a bandwagon on them?

Misconception there buddy. I'm sorry, but Cop sees alignment. Still I'm also interested in knowing the answer.

Ah, right, I was thinking it also showed roles. I think there is one that can also see roles, but I don't remember the name of it.

Alright, here’s my question to you: Of the players you have questioned do you have a follow up plan in mind? Asking everyone questions is really good. But how do you proceed from here?

Mostly right now I'm trying to get an idea of how people would theoretically play, as a more long term sort of tell, in case someone does/doesn't do what they say they would in those situations, and how other people would respond to it. I know that late in the game, people will look back on these hypothetical questions and start to analyze the answers to them, so they would possibly help even if I'm not there to be a help myself. Not that I'm expecting to get killed off or anything, but it could happen. I'm just going for a general idea of what people's outcomes on various positions are. Not sure yet what my next move would be, though. Still want to wait for some answers from other people I questioned.

Since it’s so early in the day I don’t really have much else to say but I do have a bit of a blanket question for EVERYONE:

What is your experience with mafia? Also, which role would you most want to have and why?
    [/list]

I've never played an actual game of Mafia before, but I've played some other games about trust/betrayal/reading into other players before, so I get the idea of them, and I've read a few games of them on this forum.
    I think the role I'd like to have the most would be the cop, since I don't like being unsure of things, I like to actually have some evidence, even if it's only on one person, I can sort it out from there.
    The Derail Thread

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: December 30, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »

*facepalm* I really must remember to preview. Broken tags bug me.

Separate question, separate answer. Two games here now, many (over a dozen, I've lost count) on another forum, and I've run several and have a new theme game in development.

Which role, and why. Honestly? Really deep down, cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die for reals?

Serial Killer, Ninja/Strongman, for the challenge. The most fun I ever had was playing the Godfather in a large (25 players) theme game, and being the last scum to die with only four Town left. That was a hoot!

Yes, I said hoot. Deal. :P

Though, Vanilla Townie is one of the hardest roles to play, simply because you know nothing. I like knowing things.

New players: There's Cop, which learns alignment only, but not role, and Role Cop, which learns role only, but not alignment. In larger games, that distinction becomes important.

Here's a good place to start for some in-depth reading: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Roles

Don't get lost on the wiki-walk.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
    • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: December 30, 2013, 02:29:24 pm »

MyOwnWorstEnemy - You're scum, and it's day 2. You failed to kill anyone during the night because of a doctor's interference. How would you attempt to discern who the doctor is?

Well first I'd go back and look at the previous posts and look for things that appear suspicious. Namely someone who's been lurking continuously with little or no pressure on them. I've heard that doctors,cops, etc. tend to draw as little attention to themselves as they can. After that, I would probably look at the potential doctor's relationship with the target and go from there.

I have no experience with mafia aside from reading a couple finished games and a friend explaining the basics of the game to me.

As for the role, I'd choose doctor. I just think it could be the most beneficial to town, especially if there's a really strong town member hot on the scum's trail. Players like that need to survive as long as possible.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: December 30, 2013, 04:40:58 pm »

Replacement request, since apparently this one has a replacement and the other one doesn't.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: December 30, 2013, 09:27:30 pm »

Sinlessmoon: Your profile shows you as having been last active at 03:15:59 pm today, after this game started at 10:40:09 am, and you have yet to make your first reply. Please explain yourself.

So as to make you not need to go back to find my earlier question, I'll put it here, as well.
    Sinlessmoon - You're a cop on day 2, the person you examined the night before was the doctor, and they're lurking. Do you try to get them to be more active to keep them alive? How would you go about doing this without starting a bandwagon on them?
    In addition, here is Nerjin's blanket question to all of us.

I have checked Jembot and Pufferfish as well, but they both fail to show activity after the game's start, so I can wait.
    The Derail Thread

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: December 30, 2013, 10:45:00 pm »

I have never played mafia before, but have had a pretty good read through the wiki and am in the process of reading some of the previous games here. I would most likely want to be a cop (either role or vanilla) as that role appears to be very good for town, and gives me a bit more influence on the game than merely vanilla townie, and adds more strategy to my play as well, which I like.

Jembot - You're the doctor, and after seeing someone scumhunting in a very powerful and effective way, you protect them, and nobody dies in the night. Do you now support their decisions and try to back them up? How would you go about this without it seeming like buddying?

I wouldn't believe their every word, but in most cases in which I don't know anything else about that specific person as compared to the person who they are trying to lynch, I would be inclined to believe them. If they tried to lynch someone I wouldn't just hump on the bandwagon immediately, I would make my mind up first, but all other things being equal I would be more likely to vote for who they are trying to lynch than some other lynchee. If they someone tried to lynch them, I would then try to divert attention off them, and would not vote for them unless they did something extremely scummy. I wouldn't just jump to their defense immediately, but start questioning a few other players and see if I can get focus peoples suspicions on them and not on the (most likely) town.
    You people are insane.
    Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #134 on: December 31, 2013, 12:15:35 am »

Oh goodness I saw three pages and was afraid the thread blew up :P Anywho.

Puff: Now that you've played as Scum and Town, which do you find more fun?

Both were quite fun. I enjoy both halves of the hunt, as each requires a very different approach.

Pufferfish - What do you think was your biggest mistake in the last BM sprint game, where Persus and Tiruin won as scum? If you could go back, how would you have fixed it?

Uh. That's actually a really tough question. I probably would have not lynched anyone first turn and convinced all not to. Or, of course, -not- rolecheck the dead player. :P

Persus:

I forget, are you in Limerick? Also, How about you? What's your favorite side of the field?

MastahblasterCheese:

This is your first game? What do you think you're going to like the most?

All:

Okay, exactly how many of you are playing in both games?
    Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38