Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: The Court of Colors | Renascence | Town Win  (Read 114402 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: Day 1 has begun | Act I: Prelude
« Reply #165 on: January 02, 2014, 05:18:43 pm »

Extend

I'll be posting here in a bit but new years is a bit of a heavy time for most of you party animals so I'm wanting to hear a bit more from all of you. I'm in the middle of an important call right this second however but expect me to enlighten the hell out of you guys here once it's done.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 02, 2014, 06:24:58 pm »

Extend

I think it's unanimous of the people who've replied so far.

makeinu: First off, you failed to ask me a question, I'm not saying this is scummy, I just feel left out.
But mainly what I want to say is that I don't think voting him is really going to make a difference, but I can't make the argument that we shouldn't vote him because of, you know, the lurking bit. I don't want to see yet another day 1 town lynch due once again to a lack of participation (if he's actually scum, though, that will blow my mind, along with being a terrible scum tactic) but it's your vote, in any case.

Because scum does not like drawing attention to themselves... Voting first/last draws attention. Sheeping 2nd or 3rd usually draws way less attention, that's why I become suspicious of the 2nd or 3rd.
That's true, but sometime scum can care more about getting a townie lynched than about drawing attention.
Sort of towards Persus13 and Superblackcat, but mostly just my opinion. You also have to take into account the fact that scum might very well vote first or last just because they wouldn't normally do so. But that's just WIFOM, in general.

MyOwnWorstEnemy: It doesn't look like you have much to say at the moment. I'll ask another hypothetical.
One person was pressing very hard one another for scummy behavior, but the presser ends up getting killed in the night, and flips cop. What's your next plan of action?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2014, 06:47:35 pm »

makeinu: First off, you failed to ask me a question, I'm not saying this is scummy, I just feel left out.

I don't think you're the only one I haven't asked a question of, but I'm too lazy to double-check right now.

But mainly what I want to say is that I don't think voting him is really going to make a difference, but I can't make the argument that we shouldn't vote him because of, you know, the lurking bit. I don't want to see yet another day 1 town lynch due once again to a lack of participation (if he's actually scum, though, that will blow my mind, along with being a terrible scum tactic) but it's your vote, in any case.

There are two primary schools of thought on D1 and the lynch.

One is that a "no lynch" vote is worse than any other option, because even a mis-lynch feeds the Town information.

The other is that an uninformed lynch is just as bad, or worse, than "no lynch" because it generally kills Town.

Which view do you subscribe to?
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2014, 07:33:41 pm »

So again I’ll be teaching you how I post things. Since this has come after my first “Read-straveganza” it’ll be a little different. The top-most section will be the summary of my previous case. The center will be my reads since my last “Read-a-palooza”. The bottom will be the summary of my read over-all. Let’s get started.

Spoiler: Jembot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Makeinu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mastahcheese (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MyOwnWorstEnemy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Persus13 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pufferfish (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Superblackcat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sinlessmoon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: My Rant to EVERYONE (click to show/hide)
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2014, 08:23:09 pm »

I don't think you're the only one I haven't asked a question of, but I'm too lazy to double-check right now.
I'm not the only one, I just like having questions to answer.

There are two primary schools of thought on D1 and the lynch.
-snip-
Which view do you subscribe to?
I'd say that a mis-lynch is better than a no-lynch, so I'll have to join you on that one.

You promised questions to others Mastahcheese, what are your reads? Day is getting along a bit too far to be dallying. Who do you suspect most?
Yeah, I've been failing a good bit at the follow-up questions, I realize that now. I'll work on that.
But I'll go ahead and list my current reads.

•Superblackcat - I'm not understanding some of their reasoning behind some things, and I should really be doing better about questioning them, but I'm not getting a scum vibe from them. I think they're town.
Sinlessmoon - Hasn't said a word. I dislike the "D1 policy lurker lynch" as a general principle, but it's wasting out time. I say Lurker.
Jembot - Hasn't said a whole lot. Hasn't made much of an attempt to ask questions, either. I say slightly scum/absentee.
•Persus13 - Also not that active, but better than some, (this whole game seems to be rather... slow) I'd say town, but not sure.
•Pufferfish - I don't really have much of a read at all on pufferfish. Seems to be acting a little passive, to me. Not sure what to say.
•MyOwnWorstEnemy - Been asking questions, a bit. Although I'm rather guilty of this, myself. I'm leaning town, on this one.
•Nerjin - You're clearly doing a good job of pressuring us to try our best, most of your questions have been more-so oriented toward how we plan on playing the game, rather than the game itself, which seems to me like a very IC thing to do. You clearly are more concerned about the reason behind a BM then how well you fair in it. Leaning town, clearly IC.
•makeinu - You seem to be doing the best about follow-up questions, from what I can tell. And you're certainly trying to be a helpful IC. I think you're town.
The Derail Thread

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2014, 08:47:00 pm »

Nerjin: Sorry you're right, I do need to be more active, I've just been lazy and partly busy with RL stuff. Also, the slow pace of this game hasn't really helped, although I haven't really done anything about that, I guess I should.

Mastahcheese:
Sinlessmoon - Hasn't said a word. I dislike the "D1 policy lurker lynch" as a general principle, but it's wasting out time. I say Lurker.
Jembot - Hasn't said a whole lot. Hasn't made much of an attempt to ask questions, either. I say slightly scum/absentee.
So despite disliking lynching lurkers, you're two top scum picks are lurkers?

Jembot: Say you're the jailkeeper and you roleblocked a player. That night there's no scum kill. Next day, someone claims cop and says a third players scum. What would you do?

MOWE: What are your thoughts on No lynch D1 or a policy lurker lynch D1?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2014, 08:51:34 pm »

Nerjin: hope you don't mind if I steal your style. Walls of text are hard to read and digest, and I'm still adapting to the bbcodes available here, which greatly exceed those I'm used to. The "spoiler" tag is very nice.

Spoiler: Nerjin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jembot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Superblackcat (click to show/hide)
[/list]
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2014, 09:06:03 pm »

Mastahcheese:
So despite disliking lynching lurkers, you're two top scum picks are lurkers?
I don't dislike lynching lurkers, I dislike the fact that there seems to be a trend in the games I've read where there's always a lurker on day 1 who ends up flipping town. But you can't not lynch them on the chance that they are actually scum trying to go under the radar.
That said, it's a necessary evil, and I dislike necessary evils, particularly when you could get more out of an active player.
I don't think Sinlessmoon is scum, but that's not a chance we can afford to make.
As for Jembot, I don't think he's lurking, as he's participating, just not very much. And even with the very slow pace of the game as it is right now, I tend to find myself barely noticing them. It feels like it's just enough to not be active-lurking, not so low that it draws suspicion, but not enough to be easily remembered. I've seen no attempt from them at trying to scumhunt, even with the most basic of attempts. They've been a very reactive force, and not an active one. I just get a scum vibe from them in general.
The Derail Thread

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2014, 11:53:49 pm »

Nerjin: *bows respectfully* Yes master!

MyOwnWorstEnemy: One person was pressing very hard one another for scummy behavior, but the presser ends up getting killed in the night, and flips cop. What's your next plan of action?

Since a cop found it worthwhile to pursue this person and was promptly killed as a result, I think it's safe to say that the person is scum. I would then go back and look at this person's past to try to find some more solid evidence.

MOWE: What are your thoughts on No lynch D1 or a policy lurker lynch D1?

No lynch D1: no. Just no. All that does is give the mafia a free kill. The town gains nothing from it. Sure it's supposed to spare a townie, but the other town members gain valuable, SOLID information. They can use this knowledge along with the interactions this person had with others to root out the scum. And besides, there's always the chance that you'll lynch a scum.

Policy lynch: I don't like it, but it's necessary sometimes when the player doesn't contribute anything to the game. I think sometimes it's the only option. I really don't like it, but if I had to choose between no lynch and a policy lynch, I'd go policy.

My thoughts on everyone and my answer to Nerjin's question will come tomorrow. I'm sorry but posting on a phone is very draining. :(
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2014, 02:35:04 am »

Nerjin:
I don't want to quote your spoiler ;-;

I realized that I just created a large ass rant about scum hunting, and if anyone wants to read my take on it, and agree/disagree/bash. Go for it.

It should answer your question too Nerjin.
Spoiler: my way of scumhunting (click to show/hide)

Yay for wall of text!

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2014, 02:36:03 am »

Makeinu Why such an interest to what I think about scum hunting? Trying to improve your game? ;P

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2014, 02:50:03 am »

Argghhh Read over the last two posts... >: C

mastah, any questions, please ask!

Makeinu, So if you are scum, and given my reasoning, how do you think you will vote? How much wifom would you use off of my reasoning?

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2014, 03:28:47 am »

Makeinu Why such an interest to what I think about scum hunting? Trying to improve your game? ;P

Ha ha, no.

Makeinu, So if you are scum, and given my reasoning, how do you think you will vote? How much wifom would you use off of my reasoning?

Assume I'm scum, and I know your scum-hunting, it's the same as if I didn't. When I am posting in the forum, I'm Town.

I'm not pretending to be Town. I am Town.

What you describe is the concept of the Uncanny Valley.

Spoiler: Uncanny Valley (click to show/hide)

Turns out, people don't like robots that become too human, because they're close, but not close enough. We react the same way to physical and mental deficits, subconsciously. That's what happens when scum try to come off as Town, instead of just playing the game as they would if they were Town. They seem off because they are off.

Remember where I said earlier that lies are easy to tell, but hard to tell convincingly?

Well, they're not hard to tell convincingly when they're not lies. So, as scum, either get the Town lying to itself, or, simply, be Town, and then you're not lying.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2014, 04:31:02 am »

Argghhh Read over the last two posts... >: C
mastah, any questions, please ask!
I have questions, but I just realized I stayed up until 4:30 in the morning playing X-COM, so I'll be back!
The Derail Thread

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2014, 08:18:21 am »

The main reason that I haven't done much so far is simply lack of time, had a big new years. I've got a bit more spare time now, so I'm going to get out there and scum hunt.

Questions-
Mastahcheese- You are town and are at L-1, but haven't really done anything particularly scummy. Do you claim or do anything townish, or just hope someone else does something scummy to take attention off you?
Superblackcat- You are cop, and night 1 you get a read on a player that says scum. What do you do?
Pufferfish- What would you prefer to be, vanilla townie or vanilla scum? Why?
Makeinu- It's day one, and you have narrowed your lynching choices down to 2. One has been acting very scummy, but the other has only posted once. Do you lynch the likely scum, or policy lunch the lurker? Why?
MOWE- You are Vig, and it is night 1. You have no real reads on anybody. Do you take a shot in the dark, or kill nobody that night?
Persus- You are scum, and someone claims cop and calls you scum. What do you do?
Nerjin- As an IC, what would you say is the number one mistake made by new players, either scum or town?

As to Persus's question (can't quote my phone is fucking up)
I would probably just leave it, and wait to see what the third players reply is, and just vote how I would if I was vanilla townie. I would go back and look for prior evidence of scumminess, and decide what to do based on if he looked scummy or not.
You people are insane.
Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38