Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: The Court of Colors | Renascence | Town Win  (Read 114406 times)

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIV: Day 1 has begun | Act I: Prelude
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2013, 11:55:46 pm »

makeinu: You're a cop and you know that a certain person, for whom everyone is voting, is town. Do you try to defend the person and role claim or just let it happen and stick to the shadows?

I shall let my actions speak for themselves (read down to the vote board).

Though, in retrospect, Jim was absolutely right, vote shenanigans are a bad idea. I won'tsay I wouldn't do that again however.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 01, 2014, 03:18:28 am »

Jembot: You're scum. Your partner is radiating scumminess. Do you bus him or try to frame another person to save them?
Overall, I would probably not bus, as most people would expect the scum partner to bus in that situation, so bussing doesn't make me look any more town. I would try to look for inconsistencies in anyone else's actions and try to highlight those, or attempt to find a lurker and convince people that they are scum. If their were no inconsistencies or lurkers, I would probably bus if there was already a bandwagon on him, as that isn't really what you would expect scum to do in that situation.
You people are insane.
Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 01, 2014, 07:51:48 am »

Pufferfish: It's down to three people: you, a fellow townie, and a scum. The scum has convinced your fellow townie that you are scum. What do you do?

Role claim the FUCK out of myself.

Unless the scum has. A counterclaim would look... Weird. I would be all like "but no."

In essence, everything I could to turn the vote against scummy scum. Like a townie should.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 01, 2014, 01:29:51 pm »

Superblackcat: Everyone's suddenly turning on a person you don't have a case on. What do you do?

I vote the second one to jump on the bandwagon.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 01, 2014, 02:15:26 pm »

mastahcheese: You're a cop and find out someone's scum. What's your next move?
Hmm, it depends, really.
First, I'd probably observe them to see if I can possibly pick up on who their scumbuddy is before trying to get them lynched, but try to drop a less-than-subtle hint that I'm suspicious of them in case I get NKed, and if I'm about to get lynched, just roleclaim and let everyone know.
I'd try to avoid getting myself killed, though, so I could continue to help.

Superblackcat: Everyone's suddenly turning on a person you don't have a case on. What do you do?
Shouldn't you also accuse the third person to jump on it?
I'll take a quote from earlier to state why.
So for an actual, in-game question: makeinu: It is MYLO, and both scum are still alive. There are 2 votes on a lurker, and the other 3 haven't voted yet, including the lurker. How do you proceed?

-snip-

For the record, I watched that exact situation develop in a game I ran once. The scum had successfully set up another player in a solid frame-job and eliminated them, then at MyLo placed one vote on a Townie that had suspicion built up against them from previous days, and waited. Once a second vote came, down came the hammer and the win.

It seems to me that it'd be more logical to accuse the third person to jump the wagon, as the scum team could easily just wait for a townie to take the second spot, and accuse them the very next day, under your suggestion.

Superblackcat: After a townie lynch, the first and third person to vote for them begin to place accusations on the second, what do you do?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 01, 2014, 04:22:55 pm »

You know what was nice? Not my day at work. I'm entirely drained... I won't be able to post today I'm afraid.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2014, 05:28:41 pm »

Shouldn't you also accuse the third person to jump on it?
I'll take a quote from earlier to state why.
So for an actual, in-game question: makeinu: It is MYLO, and both scum are still alive. There are 2 votes on a lurker, and the other 3 haven't voted yet, including the lurker. How do you proceed?

-snip-

For the record, I watched that exact situation develop in a game I ran once. The scum had successfully set up another player in a solid frame-job and eliminated them, then at MyLo placed one vote on a Townie that had suspicion built up against them from previous days, and waited. Once a second vote came, down came the hammer and the win.

It seems to me that it'd be more logical to accuse the third person to jump the wagon, as the scum team could easily just wait for a townie to take the second spot, and accuse them the very next day, under your suggestion.

Superblackcat: After a townie lynch, the first and third person to vote for them begin to place accusations on the second, what do you do?

Actually, it really depends. On many games, it's the second, but I put FOSes on both the 2nd and 3rd... Just because.

Usually, the hammer-er isn't a scum, unless it's lylo/mylo.

For the second question: I start to become suspicious of all three, but more so of the third person than the second.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2014, 06:24:03 pm »

A good scum-tell is not just to look at who voted when, but why. Votes without reasons are generally scummier than votes with reasons, but be sure to look at the rationale posted behind the vote for inconsistencies as well.

Lies are easy to tell. They're very hard to tell consistently, especially under pressure.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2014, 04:08:56 am »

Note ahead, a reply:
Ah, I apologize. I missed this mail. I will attempt to keep up with what's going on. I haven't been around the forums lately, I'll try my best to view the forums with some regularity.

I do believe I should mod-extend this to Jan 6 perhaps, despite the utter lack of extend/shorten requests, given that we've only one vote so far.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2014, 08:52:59 am »

I will formally request an extension, given the low activity around New Years.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2014, 11:35:30 am »

Extend. Definitely.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2014, 03:09:14 pm »

Pufferfish

Pufferfish: It's down to three people: you, a fellow townie, and a scum. The scum has convinced your fellow townie that you are scum. What do you do?

Role claim the FUCK out of myself.

Unless the scum has. A counterclaim would look... Weird. I would be all like "but no."

In essence, everything I could to turn the vote against scummy scum. Like a townie should.

I don't understand this. I wonder why you feel that a counter-claim in the case above would not be a good idea?

My take is this: if you have a role-claim to make, then make it. Especially in the aftermath of a scum false-claim. Because, after all, they're faking it, right?

Nerjin:

You know what was nice? Not my day at work. I'm entirely drained... I won't be able to post today I'm afraid.

Hi, Nerjin. Welcome to tomorrow. I hope that your day at work was better. I know that I hate bad days at work too.

Do you have any insights that you'd like to share with us today?

MyOwnWorstEnemy asked a question of you that I'd love to hear an answer to. I have my own opinion, naturally, and I'd love to see how your thinking compares to mine.

I notice in your answer to mastahcheese's question, you say:

I don't really pay attention to meta. 

Do you mean that in general, or in this game only? Why? Do you find that meta is not helpful in scum-hunting? Why?

Superblackcat:

How do you feel about replacing in for Elephant Parade?

Do you still feel that a BM serves to teach you anything?

For the second question: I start to become suspicious of all three, but more so of the third person than the second.

Why would you be suspicious of the second person in that scenario, but not the first?

Sinlessmoon:

Hi again. Do you feel like playing today?

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2014, 04:02:49 pm »

Extend

Makeinu:

Superblackcat:

How do you feel about replacing in for Elephant Parade?

Do you still feel that a BM serves to teach you anything?

Why would you be suspicious of the second person in that scenario, but not the first?

Because scum does not like drawing attention to themselves... Voting first/last draws attention. Sheeping 2nd or 3rd usually draws way less attention, that's why I become suspicious of the 2nd or 3rd.

Replacement for Elephant:
Uhh, Well nothing has happened?

Learning from BM:

Also, I prefer Classic Mafia setup... so BM is usually pretty fun for me, even if I've played several mafia games.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »

Because scum does not like drawing attention to themselves... Voting first/last draws attention. Sheeping 2nd or 3rd usually draws way less attention, that's why I become suspicious of the 2nd or 3rd.

That's true, but sometime scum can care more about getting a townie lynched than about drawing attention. For instance, last game you were the 4th person to vote me, and I'm guessing you were trying to prevent your scumbuddy being lynched.

Makeinu: How's your Sinlessmoon vote going. Why are you voting him now given that that strategy utterly failed last game in terms of getting him to play?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2014, 04:38:25 pm »

Makeinu: How's your Sinlessmoon vote going. Why are you voting him now given that that strategy utterly failed last game in terms of getting him to play?

Like shit, obviously, in terms of getting him to play... but I lack a better target for my vote right now, and we don't have another replacement lined up. Unless Imp can join, that is. So, policy lynch at this point.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38