Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153577 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.
« Reply #1305 on: April 18, 2017, 06:56:13 pm »

Jungle Giants is not a good card. The quest takes a long time to complete and the reward is very slow (you need to actually draw into a minion after you play the reward, and then you get a payoff only if you're still mana limited, which is fairly unlikely after you've already played 5 large minions). Like against aggro it does nothing because it's too slow, while against control it does nothing because slamming more than 10 mana worth of minions into a boardclear isn't a good idea anyway.

e: here's one take on Mage.
https://clips.twitch.tv/ExuberantTentativeWoodpeckerKlappa
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:03:07 pm by Leafsnail »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 18, 2017, 10:04:34 pm »

not gameplay related thing. am i the only one that sees the "lore" of Hearthstone much more appealing than the actual warcraft lore?

i mean, yeah we get ridiculous stuff like patches the pirate (althought a demon dedicated to piracy is a really interesting idea).

but then we have stuff like the depictions of N'zothh and Y'shaarj which are practically absent in WoW. the whole Un'goro expansion gives much more flesh to an area in the MMORPG that is really limited in terms of size and mobs, Barnabus is a sauropod for example, a dinosaur not featured in the game, and there's also the turtles which sound like a nice addition as a minor faction (much like the wolvar or the gorlocs in Sholazar Basin).

the Gadgetzan expansion gave a 3 side war in a city that is basically a small outpost in WoW. yeah its a bit cliche the whole gangster war thing but the factions themselves would be really cool as alignable factions in the MMORPG. golem invocations, advanced gunnery, consumable potions for combat, and there are also sentient Virmen, which are but a trash mob in Pandaria.

and then there are the adventures, The Explorers League gave some interesting things around archaelogy in Azeroth, not counting characters like Raafam or the explorers which are much more flavory than plain old Harrison Jones.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 23, 2017, 06:38:19 pm »

It seems like after a full year of piddling around on a budget with a crappy collection, I'm finally almost catching up.

And I have choice paralysis.I'm at 4300 free dust, plus shitty cards (Huhuran and wrathion, a couple others) that are garbage that I can cash it for ANYthing usable.

I don't have: Kalimos, Tirion, Wickerflame, Tarim, VanCleef, Sherazin, Leeroy, Alex, Jaraxxus, N'zoth, any quests other than Warlock (hahahahah.......), dirty rats, any iceblocks, Pyros, Finja, Kazakus, Ysera, any Deathwing, the stupid-ass aggro Hydra from JUG, glimmerroot, dragonfire potions, cabalist tomes, the core Wild package (belchers, shredders, healbots, etc.), one Doomsayer, the list goes on.

I'm also planning to run out a pity timer (7 packs since last leg) for JUG packs.

But now that I can "buy in" to a class or two that's not shaman I have no idea what to even look at seriously.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: April 23, 2017, 07:33:22 pm »

You should be able to build Midrange Hunter at least. Generally the only Epic+ card it runs is Rat Pack, and that is replaceable. You can run Hydra but I think Tundra Rhino and/or Nesting Roc are just as good or maybe even a bit better.

Other than that you should be able to make at least one or two decks as long as they're not Paladin with all its class legendaries. It depends how you want to play Hearthstone.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: April 23, 2017, 08:20:44 pm »

I do have a MR hunter deck with 1 rat pack. I'm complete trash at it. Heh.

Nah, I've got:

Elemental handbuff paladin
Elemental shaman (-Kalimos +Al'akir)
Miraclemental Lyra priest
Silence priest
Shitty Warlock stuff (basically what can kinda-work without Jaraxxus. It's bad.)
Midrange huntard

and an assortment of Janky Shit like burgle rogue that I can use to complete quests.

I just have no idea what I'd really like because I've not really been able to play much before. It's maddening!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: April 24, 2017, 03:39:38 pm »

I really like Freeze Mage personally, it's such a different way to play and once you get used to it you can have an absurd winrate vs lower rank players who don't know how to play against you. Not everyone likes it though.

Obviously it's pretty expensive - 2x Ice Block, 2x Doomsayer, 2x Pyroblast (or 1x pyro+1xantonidas), 2x Primordial Glyph, Alex are all pretty essential. There are a bunch of experimental more aggressive builds of Mage that play Mana Wyrms that may be worth looking into as well.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:49:32 pm by Leafsnail »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: April 24, 2017, 04:28:04 pm »

The new face melter doesn't need nearly as much stuff. New Hemet, one pyro, two firelands, one or two iceblocks and the rest is pretty much stock cards and any cheap draw or burn you can cram in there.

Edit: Toast is an evil evil man :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:36:10 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: April 24, 2017, 06:34:05 pm »

Both those suggestions would cost me 2400 dust, or more. I haven't pulled iceblocks/Alex/Hemet and banking on drawing a Hemet for a win condition seems like gambling on a fart.

However... I've got the core of Kibler's Lyra Medivh control priest, which really clicks with me so far. I'd need to craft a Mana Geode and Dragonfire potions (and Glimmerroot? is that one run in that deck?), but I've heard it really lacks any burst tools and aggro ruins it.

That or maybe Kalimos for jade elemental shaman. That's the only card I'm missing, and it seems to have fantastic comeback/closer potential. I think this one's a sleeper because people are ecstatic about getting paladin and hunter back.

I just ran out my classic pity timer... on Cenarius. So I won't be getting Tyrion or VC anytime soon for sure. Better than the Milhouse I expected, by a small margin.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: April 24, 2017, 08:28:02 pm »

crafted a more or less complete C'thun deck for mage. just need another doomcaller to complete. and have some spare cards to do other stuff (brewmasters for example and some kabal cards), also, arena is a mess right now, couldnt win a single one. at least not with druid.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:43:14 pm by xaritscin »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: April 25, 2017, 05:14:23 am »

I wouldn't craft Mana Geode, Golakka Crawler is probably better anyway. The control priest decks don't seem great, they have a lot of value but can't really win the game most of the time.

Elemental Shaman is fine. It's good against aggro and Hunter but struggles in midrange mirrors (and against Mage, I think).

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: April 25, 2017, 06:00:41 am »

I happened to get warrior's quest from a pack. So I'm enjoying that deck.
Elemental mage is sorta a cheap fun deck which works well at low-ish rank.
Really enjoyed Toast's anti-meta deck. Absolutely hilarious when you play against pirates or mages.
Also control priest is alright.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: April 25, 2017, 02:20:31 pm »

speaking of priests, what's the name for those that deck on purify? im getting a lot of people that spams "can't attack" minions and then silence them with purify. very smart move.

also, brewmasters are a really good set of cards. resummoning c'thun minions or reveal minions is incredibly efficient most of the time.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: April 25, 2017, 06:19:23 pm »

I wouldn't craft Mana Geode, Golakka Crawler is probably better anyway. The control priest decks don't seem great, they have a lot of value but can't really win the game most of the time.

Elemental Shaman is fine. It's good against aggro and Hunter but struggles in midrange mirrors (and against Mage, I think).

Looking at HSReplay and VS Data Reaper, control priest, ele shaman, and murloc paladin are all about 52-54% win rate. Those are the ones I'm leaning towards at the moment, depending on how the next few packs shake out.

If anyone has the chance to try those, I recommend them. From what I've played the core is pretty fun.

speaking of priests, what's the name for those that deck on purify? im getting a lot of people that spams "can't attack" minions and then silence them with purify. very smart move.

Silence/OTK decks. The alternatives are Miracle, Control, Dragon and Quest but quest is much more potent in Wild.

What blows my mind after a few games of silence priest is how willing people are to leave unsilenced stuff alone. Hugh Mongus will happily sit there unmolested a few turns while I gather my combo pieces, and with shadow visions it's actually pretty reliable even without Lyra.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: April 25, 2017, 07:04:16 pm »

I've recently started playing murlock paladin, it's pretty sick. You can often just run people over with the murlocks, and those you can't you still have the midrange paladin value going on which can keep you in the game if you don't win early.

I think the reason people don't trade into plant priest minions is like, it's hard to tell exactly how hard they are going in on the concept. I've seen ones running the inner fire combo, and ones that don't. But it's like, if they don't have the combo you're just making their trades for them and you've lost a lot of stuff. And if they do have the combo they still gota draw it, which is asking a lot, at least in the early game. Idk, it's not always the easiest decision to make. I don't think I've ever lost to a plant priest by just going face, demanding that they actually pull their combo quickly is often too much for them. But they are pretty rare so sample size is low there.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:08:09 pm by Criptfeind »

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: April 26, 2017, 05:59:20 am »

I don't think you should rely on those stats very much, Darkmere. You have to control for the fact that cheaper decks will be played more by very casual players and noobs and thus their win rates will appear much lower than the deck quality actually suggests.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 109