Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169723 times)

Buel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log - Day 7 - Alpha V0.1 Download
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2014, 11:31:27 am »

Well okay nevermind I was stupid. I opened up .exe you know with features like harder farming etc, but yet warlocks remain unplayable for fort mode.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:34:31 am by Buel »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2014, 11:37:30 am »

They are playable. There is a new WARLOCK_CIV entity. The old WARLOCK is still in, these are you enemies. They will be replaced in the official release, but for now you have the normal Warlocks, and the playable Warlocks. They are not in the GUI yet. Just embark, and you will see. Leave all races checked as unplayable.

Remember, its an Alpha version. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Buel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2014, 11:41:38 am »

Leave all the other races unplayable...OH MY GOD I AM SO DAMN STUPID! I SHOULD OF DONE THAT I SHOULD OF! I am terribly sorry community and Meph! LOL! I'm dumb yep I am!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #303 on: January 08, 2014, 12:58:47 pm »

I went through all the creatures in the mod and had a look at those that fit the theme. As pets and/or summons. There made the inner list:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:NIGHTMARE]
[CREATURE:BALOR_DETAILED] => balrog
[CREATURE:MANTICORE]
[CREATURE:WRAITH_VILE_PLAGUE]
[CREATURE:GARGOYLE_WINGED_BLACK_MARBLE]
[CREATURE:HELLHOUND]
[CREATURE:BIRD_CROW] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:BIRD_RAVEN] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:BIRD_VULTURE] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:BUGBAT] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:GRAVE_CAT] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:RAVEN_GHOUL] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:CROW_GHOUL] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:GARGOYLE]
[CREATURE:BONE_GOLEM]
[CREATURE:BLOOD_GOAT] => can be milked for blood
[CREATURE:BLOODBEAST]
[CREATURE:BLOOD_ELEMENTAL]
[CREATURE:NIGHTCLOAK] => evil bat thing, only wings and mouth with teeth
[CREATURE:FROZEN_SKULL]
[CREATURE:BURNING_SKULL]
[CREATURE:DEVILKIN] => classical tiny devil with horns and wings
[CREATURE:ARMORMAN] => animated armor
[CREATURE:DEEP_ONE] => innsmouth citizens lovecraftian
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_EMERALD]
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_DIAMOND]
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_RUBY]
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_SAPPHIRE]
[CREATURE:CERBERUS]
[CREATURE:BAT_GIANT_BLIGHT]
[CREATURE:SHYLVIC_TRANSPARENT] => wraith ghost
[CREATURE:MEPHIT] => goofy little elemtental pets
[CREATURE:WRAITH_VAPOROUS_BLOOD]
[CREATURE:BEAST_SHADOW]
[CREATURE:BEAST_CINDER]
[CREATURE:GOLEM_GARGANTUAN_BONE]
[CREATURE:HIEROPHANT_SINISTER] => fallen priest/healer
[CREATURE:MASTIFF_FERAL_BONE]
[CREATURE:BARGHEST]
[CREATURE:BARGHEST_HULKING_BLACK]
[CREATURE:HOLISTIC_SPAWN] => if you wont know them, you need to see syrupleaf lets play.
[CREATURE:DRYAD_BLOOD] => evil blood tree sprite
[CREATURE:DRYAD_ROTTING_DEADWOOD] => evil undead tree sprite
[CREATURE:NYAD_SICKLY_BLIGHTWATER] => evil undead water sprite
[CREATURE:NYAD_BLOOD] => evil blood water sprite
[CREATURE:GARGOYLE_BLACK_MARBLE]
[CREATURE:VINE_WORMWOOD] => carnivorous plants
[CREATURE:VINE_BLOOD] => carnivorous plants
[CREATURE:MOTH_DUSKY_SCYTHEWING]
[CREATURE:SEORDMAOR_SCALY] => scaled black panther demons
[CREATURE:WORM_GRAVE]
[CREATURE:SHADOWEAVER] => intelligent female demon
[CREATURE:HOUND_SHADOW] => shadow dog demon
[CREATURE:GHAST_ICY_BLUE] => ice demon
[CREATURE:BEAK_DOG]
[CREATURE:WOLF_BONE]
[CREATURE:GRIMELING]
[CREATURE:BLENDEC_FOUL]
[CREATURE:HARPY]
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_MAGMA]

[CREATURE:SOGGOTH] => special. Multiply unendingly.

[CREATURE:BROOD] => special. gives birth to new civ-members. Broodmother.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 08, 2014, 01:11:11 pm »

The Soggoth multiplying undendingly wouldn't cause an FPS loss? (and I assume the massive ammount of undead creatures roaming about would already affect it too)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2014, 02:03:35 pm »

Buel: I dont even.... You did download the alpha, unpacked the 7-zip, and then ran the Dwarf Fortress.exe ? Because thats how you do it.

If anyone checks my brower history for today, they will be very confused. Demon summoning and deomonology, as well as how to get visas for ghana and gambia. Apparently its easier to summon satan than getting a visa to Ghana. Anyway, I wanted to base some rituals on real life stuff, but so far its difficult to translate into DF. But I came up with a new building design that I like a lot:

Try reading it backwards. Or upside down. Or both. Its a text-based magic square palindrome, which was used in magic and religion a lot.

Tomorrow I will be going around to some consulates with my new passport I got today, so probably not much time for modding.

There's a better one I recall that even works diagonally... damn'd if I can remember it though.

How would brood work? Would it create Ghouls? Or new Warlocks? Perhaps it creates something that drops all the materials needed to revive a warlock when revived instead? A kind of vile flesh golem thing? After all, the entire point of the fortress is that you aren't getting any new warlocks after the first two migrant waves right?

edit: Also, the total number of warlocks should probably never exceed 10-20. You get 3-5 starting ones on average. Plus your only two migrant waves are half warlocks, half skeleton/ghouls?

Alternatively those are ALL warlocks I guess... but I think warlocks should be a super precious commodity, with magic far exceeding what the other races can pull off, and hideously hard to kill once they reach higher levels and knowledge. Hell, maybe have it so that you only start with ONE real Warlock, and the rest are 'Acolytes' or something. A transformation system as it were? Like how dwarven mages all start as the Arcane Dwarf Caste but turn into different kinds of entities by transformation? Same deal.

You could also make it so that you have 4 'rider' squads. These squads can only be filled by one of your 4 'riders' who are warlocks who undergo a special transformation into an aspect of the greater powers of the End. You can only have 1 of each type of rider, the same way you can only have one Lich, Arcane Support, etc. for Dwarves? That way having 4 squad slots that can only be filled by riders won't end up with 4 famines, or 4 deaths.

Basically, the idea is the pecking order goes (from lowest to highest)
Zombies (souless automatons)
Skeletons (souls still intact, but slaves without flesh. Presumably can be given free will but most of the time they don't have it.)
Ghouls (bodies still in tact and presumably a modicum of free will, if not entirely so, but their nature warped by torture or birth)
Acolytes? (Just climbing the ladder of power. They have some skill magically, but their chief purpose is to handle the experiments and stuff and the more dangerous work for their warlock master)
Warlocks (Technically the top of the chain, but in terms of power they sit at second best. Able to learn a massive number of spells. You gain some control over what spells they'll cast in particular through their weapon and ammo types though. Lots of their spells are probably long range constantly active auras however to boost the abilities of their minions)
Riders (The highest powered guys. They don't rule your dungeon, but they are created by warlocks undergoing specialized rituals that link them to one of the primal forces of Entropy. They are pretty much megabeasts in power level. Their very presence should cause in the living enough bad thoughts to drive them insane).

Also, I remember an idea I pitched before about different grades of minions like skeletons and stuff? I know that you can't create them out right at different skill levels? But could you have transformations that lead to different skill caps?

So you start off with 'average' skeletons. Whatever their skill of choice (whether it be in crafting, whatever) it's average. They're competent in whatever job you put them in. But that's all. A higher level transformation turns them into 'expert' skeletons (this would apply to military as well). The final level transformation turns them into 'Legendary' Skeletons.

Finally, you could have something that transformed skeletons down to basic skeletons without any specialization. This is a late game thing. You could probably get it early on in a sort of 3 for 1 deal. Requires 3 skeletons to be present for it. Kills all 3 (breaking them down for parts) and produces 1 blank slate skeleton.

The idea is that we're reinforcing that skeletons are, ultimately. Tools. They're not citizens. They don't have hopes and dreams. Any station they hold is purely by their usefulness, nothing more. They can't gain skills. They have to be 'improved' like any tool would be. When they're not needed, they're broken down for parts and then shipped off.

Also, I'd argue that all new 'building' patterns for the Warlocks should probably be gained by sending expeditions to study ruins, torturing/dissecting prisoners, or by research in the libraries (all libraries would have a chance of instead of teaching the warlock a new skill, they'd get a blueprint for a new building. Also a library section, perhaps the central one, called the 'Archive' where spells and scrolls that have been learned in one of the libraries can be copied out for speedier teaching of other warlocks would be pretty cool). Maybe raiding rival warlocks for their knowledge would be another thing. I imagine all warlocks are kinda backstabby sons of bitches. They are 'unified' but their morality would probably have treason as 'required' rather than as 'unthinkable' or the like.

Given what I know of what can be done by modding (thanks to what you've said before Melph  and what I've read is done with the other races), I think this would help give the Skeletons a much more 'tool' like feel to them. Things to be upgraded or disassembled as needed. No actual skill growth, even for military skeletons.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:59:15 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #306 on: January 08, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »

Probably ghouls, or maybe I find more castes till then.

Shoggoths: Yeah, they would kill FPS. I just sorted them out, because its lovecraft. I dont think I will use them.

Buel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2014, 03:01:18 pm »

Two random idea's for warlock tower. 1. A randomly generated race or races of adventurers attempt to raid the fort (dungeon.) When you've accumulated enough wealth. Depending on the wealth, they may bring mounts, carry bows etc. 2. (Dunno if its implemented) Creatures turned into zombies, like antmen, and other two legged creatures could possibly join the work force? Just ideas some random ideas I had!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2014, 03:25:43 pm »

1. That cant be done, but you get random demons as enemies, from failed summoning.
2. That is already done. You can capture invaders and turn them into ghouls, which work for you.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2014, 03:51:10 pm »

Two random idea's for warlock tower. 1. A randomly generated race or races of adventurers attempt to raid the fort (dungeon.) When you've accumulated enough wealth. Depending on the wealth, they may bring mounts, carry bows etc. 2. (Dunno if its implemented) Creatures turned into zombies, like antmen, and other two legged creatures could possibly join the work force? Just ideas some random ideas I had!

I think there's a good idea in 1). A neutral civ, named "adventurers" or some such, consisting of lots of different races (which can be done, right? I think?), that is a hostile ambushy seige-y race to the warlocks, and doesn't trade to the others. Would it be possible to give them small numbers but high skills and good equipment? I see them being a nice challenge for your tower to rebuff, maybe as a late-ish game thing. Just a thought.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #310 on: January 08, 2014, 03:54:05 pm »

I could possible change the dwarven legion to "mercenaries" or "adventurers". Good races could call them as backup, evil races are attacked by them. But they have no active seasons and only come when called in reactions (either on purpose or as negative side effect). I can even mix them from different races, with dwarves, elves, humans and gnomes together in one army.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2014, 04:20:32 pm »

You could also have their evil counterpart for the evil races. Not bandits or brigands but 'Raiders' or something. Or some crazy cult to the hellish dimensions. I dunno. Perhaps rather than the cult, evil civilizations have to deal with adventurer's sneaking into their fortresses and subverting them from within, while good civs have to deal with the cult.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2014, 04:49:32 pm »

Dev Log - Day 8

One new building today, a new design, a list of creatures that will most likely be added as pets, summonings and magical constructs, and background work done on Alchemy and Spells.

The new building: The Hoardmaster. A drow that buys your stuff and sells you souls. Edit: "Its an item dump, to get rid of the weapons and armors from sieges, and make something useful for you of it. The souls you can spend at the Demonic Attorney, which I will hopefully do tomorrow. The rewards will be more interesting, it wont be just items, but more in form of creatures."

The new design: A magic square in latin. Used for magic spell in the High-Ritual part.

And the list of creatures:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:NIGHTMARE]
[CREATURE:BALOR_DETAILED] => balrog
[CREATURE:MANTICORE]
[CREATURE:WRAITH_VILE_PLAGUE]
[CREATURE:GARGOYLE_WINGED_BLACK_MARBLE]
[CREATURE:HELLHOUND]
[CREATURE:BIRD_CROW] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:BIRD_RAVEN] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:BIRD_VULTURE] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:BUGBAT] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:GRAVE_CAT] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:RAVEN_GHOUL] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:CROW_GHOUL] => possible vermin hunter
[CREATURE:GARGOYLE]
[CREATURE:BONE_GOLEM]
[CREATURE:BLOOD_GOAT] => can be milked for blood
[CREATURE:BLOODBEAST]
[CREATURE:BLOOD_ELEMENTAL]
[CREATURE:NIGHTCLOAK] => evil bat thing, only wings and mouth with teeth
[CREATURE:FROZEN_SKULL]
[CREATURE:BURNING_SKULL]
[CREATURE:DEVILKIN] => classical tiny devil with horns and wings
[CREATURE:ARMORMAN] => animated armor
[CREATURE:DEEP_ONE] => innsmouth citizens lovecraftian
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_EMERALD]
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_DIAMOND]
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_RUBY]
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_SAPPHIRE]
[CREATURE:CERBERUS]
[CREATURE:BAT_GIANT_BLIGHT]
[CREATURE:SHYLVIC_TRANSPARENT] => wraith ghost
[CREATURE:MEPHIT] => goofy little elemtental pets
[CREATURE:WRAITH_VAPOROUS_BLOOD]
[CREATURE:BEAST_SHADOW]
[CREATURE:BEAST_CINDER]
[CREATURE:GOLEM_GARGANTUAN_BONE]
[CREATURE:HIEROPHANT_SINISTER] => fallen priest/healer
[CREATURE:MASTIFF_FERAL_BONE]
[CREATURE:BARGHEST]
[CREATURE:BARGHEST_HULKING_BLACK]
[CREATURE:HOLISTIC_SPAWN] => if you wont know them, you need to see syrupleaf lets play.
[CREATURE:DRYAD_BLOOD] => evil blood tree sprite
[CREATURE:DRYAD_ROTTING_DEADWOOD] => evil undead tree sprite
[CREATURE:NYAD_SICKLY_BLIGHTWATER] => evil undead water sprite
[CREATURE:NYAD_BLOOD] => evil blood water sprite
[CREATURE:GARGOYLE_BLACK_MARBLE]
[CREATURE:VINE_WORMWOOD] => carnivorous plants
[CREATURE:VINE_BLOOD] => carnivorous plants
[CREATURE:MOTH_DUSKY_SCYTHEWING]
[CREATURE:SEORDMAOR_SCALY] => scaled black panther demons
[CREATURE:WORM_GRAVE]
[CREATURE:SHADOWEAVER] => intelligent female demon
[CREATURE:HOUND_SHADOW] => shadow dog demon
[CREATURE:GHAST_ICY_BLUE] => ice demon
[CREATURE:BEAK_DOG]
[CREATURE:WOLF_BONE]
[CREATURE:GRIMELING]
[CREATURE:BLENDEC_FOUL]
[CREATURE:HARPY]
[CREATURE:ELEMENTMAN_MAGMA]

[CREATURE:SOGGOTH] => special. Multiply unendingly. Maybe FPS death...

[CREATURE:BROOD] => special. gives birth to new civ-members. Broodmother. Might breed ghouls.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:56:42 pm by Meph »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2014, 04:50:14 pm »

Kinda meh about the Hoardmaster.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log - Day 8 - Alpha V0.1 Download
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2014, 04:54:52 pm »

Its an item dump, to get rid of the weapons and armors from sieges, and make something useful for you of it. The souls you can spend at the Demonic Attorney, which I will hopefully do tomorrow. The rewards will be more interesting, it wont be just items, but more in form of creatures.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 110