Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169457 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Day 16 - Beta V0.3 - You must construct additional pylons!
« Reply #630 on: January 17, 2014, 12:03:10 pm »

Can you save something like a single var in pylons and allow them to transmit it? (i have no clue about DF modding... just doing normal programming ^^)
If so, you could just give each pylon an ActiveID(=0 if inactive), and when having 2 pylons in range of each other, they both get the maximum of their ActiveID's. If a Warlock enters a pylonrange he generates a new (counting upwards) ActiveID, giving it to the pylon.
This way each pylon will be only powered once per warlock contact, they will transfer this power further but not be repowered by it.

But as i said, I don't know how similar DF modding is to normal programming :D

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 17, 2014, 12:12:08 pm »

But as i said, I don't know how similar DF modding is to normal programming :D
DF modding is very different, and much easier. It's like text Legos.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #632 on: January 17, 2014, 12:13:30 pm »

Yup, otherwise I couldnt do it. :P

Unfortunately the text legos dont allow me to build such stuff. Well, maybe, but it would be unnecessarily complex.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 17, 2014, 12:16:03 pm »

You could give warlocks an interaction that affect pylons without a certain SYN_CLASS.

That interactions hits the pylon with a syndrome that temporarily gives them the above-mentioned SYN_CLASS and the same interaction.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #634 on: January 17, 2014, 12:30:55 pm »

I already do that. The thing is: If the pylon can power the next pylon, the next pylon can power the previous pylon as well, as soon as the syn_class from the warlock fades. But if it wouldnt have that ability, it couldnt power the next pylon. They power each other constantly... I have to use CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION with an end time, which gets refreshed every now and then, because there is no CE_REMOVE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION. -.- I can only add them, but not un-add them. ^^

EDIT: After reading that text, even I didnt quite understand what I was saying. I should probably wait till I release the next test version, and see what the people say to the code. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 17, 2014, 01:48:09 pm »

I have some problem with warlock resurrection.
I can resurrect some skelaton ( 2 out of 3) butI can't resurrect my warlock.
I try put him in stockpile near alter, put him in coffin next to it, dump him next to it, I even dump him into it :P
But Mr. Warlock seem to have enough of my shit and never come back :'(
Is it because his body is already partial skelaton?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #636 on: January 17, 2014, 02:26:11 pm »

already partial skeleton?
Yep. There is a good chance that this is the case. ^^

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #637 on: January 17, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »

Dev Log - Day 17

I added new soldier graphics, but I couldnt make them show up ingame so far. Lets see what the modding help thread can come up with. Or someone here knows whats up: I want to use the LAW_ENFORCE and TAX_COLLECTOR graphic tags, to make different squads look differently. Here my post about it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The graphics look like this, but as I said, I couldnt make them work ingame.

I added a new workshop, the Inscriptor. It can engrave skills into skeletons. Take a skeleton, a gem and a soul, and raise any skill by one point. This means for 15 gems and 15 souls you can have a legendary crafter. Or you could have invested the souls for something else, like 15 new skeletons. It will only teach non-combat skills (skeletons learn these by themselves), and non-warlock skills, like herbalism, alchemy and chemistry, gemcutting/setting or writing/praying.

I added more info on the summoned pets into the manual, and updated the pylon description a bit, using the new, clearer picture.

I added NO_GENDER to skeletons, which solves that problem.

I made powered pylons blink with a cyan 'P'. :)

I upgraded soul wisps with an AoE slow attack, which reduces enemy speed by 50% for a week. I also changed the pain elementals graphics, they are a lot bigger now. They also cost more. I added a price to the black monolith, which was lacking one. Costs 1 totem and 10 blocks.

I also added personalities to the castes.

Ghouls are shy, angry, furious, untrusting cowards that like to hurt people, but have low selfconfidence.

Skeletons are super nice guys. They have strong sense of duty and friendlyness, altruism, helping others, high confidence and dont take breaks. They also have extreme love for art, nature and trust others completely. They are like curious, but naive kids. "I love nature and art, and want only to help" "Cut this tree in half" "ok, if you say so Master. :)"

Warlocks are normal humans will all ranges of personalities, but generally distrustfull bastards that dont like to help anyone and think that they are better and smarter. Supreme Egomaniacs with a liking to intellectual discussions.

Tomorrow I want to do those warlock-specific animated weapons someone mentioned, like animated scythes and pitchforks that fly around, and add more demons to the Abyss. Then clean everything up a bit, and maybe upload another test version. :) Oh, and I still need an idea for the Herbalist workshop.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:49:16 pm by Meph »

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: [WARLOCK] - Day 17 - Beta V0.3 - Inscribe them skills, y'all.
« Reply #638 on: January 17, 2014, 05:08:16 pm »

was being an idiot. Just forget this post was here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:33:17 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #639 on: January 17, 2014, 05:26:43 pm »

shadowclasper:  The problem is just that you try to suggest how to do thing, without the background knowledge to actually do so.

Also, um, and sorry for doing the whole 'suggesting a way of doing it' type thing.

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 17, 2014, 06:00:11 pm »

shadowclasper:  The problem is just that you try to suggest how to do thing, without the background knowledge to actually do so.

Also, um, and sorry for doing the whole 'suggesting a way of doing it' type thing.

... Kay.

So! Moving on.

Will the inscription system be the same way we get those fancy elemental skeletons you mentioned? We've already got the whole rune system for weapons and armor. Heck, since we've already got chemistry covering most reactions, we could just turn herbalism into the whole rune profession.

Oh! Can the inscription system be applied to animated armors and weapons too?

Also, for the sake of convenience, I'd say extend how long skeletons can remain autonomous outside pylon control. Say a month. Makes mining and recon/hunting through military easier, and it preserves the purpose of warlocks-die-fortress-collapse. That's just me though. Great work so far!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #641 on: January 17, 2014, 06:19:13 pm »

We've already got the whole rune system for weapons and armor. Heck, since we've already got chemistry covering most reactions, we could just turn herbalism into the whole rune profession.
Wait... we dont have any runes. I havent written anything for weapons and armor yet, and I didnt want to use runes or the SPATTER_ADD system, but itemsyndrome. And chemistry is covering only the reactions in the chemist... the acids and rust removal. Did you mean the ALCHEMY skill? (which is renamed Sorcery ingame)

Will the inscription system be the same way we get those fancy elemental skeletons you mentioned?
In so far that a skeleton walks to a workshop, does something, and the effect is applied: Yes. The skeleton worker goes to the building and runs the reaction, which triggers a script. No transformations involved.

You could even train up a ironbone skeleton to master-skill, transform him into a dreadnought skeleton, and later teach him grandmaster and legendary skill. No problem.

Oh! Can the inscription system be applied to animated armors and weapons too?
Theoratically. Not exactly the same, you would have to pasture the animated items on the workshop, and someone else does the reaction (because animals cant do the labor), but it could add skills to them, yes. I already do this in dwarf-mode with animal training in the war kennels.

Also, for the sake of convenience, I'd say extend how long skeletons can remain autonomous outside pylon control. Say a month. Makes mining and recon/hunting through military easier, and it preserves the purpose of warlocks-die-fortress-collapse. That's just me though. Great work so far!
I will first wait for feedback from people that actually played with the pylons, before I change balance again.

migshark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 17, 2014, 06:27:17 pm »

For inscribing, would it be OK to add some shortcut reactions? IE: 5 gems and 5 souls for 5 skill levels and/or 10/15/20 iterations. Otherwise it seems a bit tedious to set all those jobs for just one skeleton, especially if you want to upgrade it in multiple related skills.

I'm also somewhat worried over the gem supply. While you'll always have gems available to be mined, I normally do as little mining as possible to reduce pathing and stone clutter. Having alternative sources of essential items when playing other races is one of the best ways of avoiding FPS death IMO.

I'm in favour of LoS pylons as I really think it would be a fun and tactical flavour of difficulty to handle. As for the miners problem... would it be possible to have magic picks that let their power last longer? Miniature, mobile pylon-pets that can periodically zap worthless stone boulders to create (or really just simultaneously emit) a short-term power-pulse - or just give the ability to skeletons?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #643 on: January 17, 2014, 06:37:18 pm »

Shortcut reactions: Certainly possible, but it would add to the already long list of reactions. It would mean a lot of scrolling in the workshop menu.

Artifical gems are planned. made from glass and metal dust.

pylon-picks: Lol, yeah, just from a modding perspective that can be done. But like I said: before I balance pylon stuff, I want to see how people play with it in the first place.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #644 on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:17 pm »

what if different sets of skills had different workshops? And to produce them you needed schema or 'inscription research documents' produced at a related library? It'd slow down your ability to upgrade your skeletons certainly, but it puts emphasis back on the importance of libraries to get the inscription workshops needed to level up your guys, and further, it would re-emphasize the whole 'you get stuff done ehn mass' rather than getting stuff done with highly built up skeletons? (Potentially just start off with an inscriptionist focused on Stonework: Mining, Masonry, Engraving, and Stonecrafts? That way you have the most basic stuff going quickly, but it gives you the ability to expand and make your dungeon/tower look pretty faster at the very least.)

You'd also avoid the whole 'massive list of skills' problem.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 06:45:46 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 110