Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 225534 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #345 on: January 26, 2015, 09:53:59 pm »

I'm worried about two things though.
A) The balance. Do factions E and B have an unfair advantage, or does the extreme number of counters out there mean they have an unfair disadvantage? Should a kill not be used if it's blocked/protected against? Maybe each team should have two abilities, with half the players in the team (1 with 9 to kill and 1 with 11) getting one ability and the other half getting the other?
B) Flavor. Last time I ran a game in this vein, it was flavored as the various kinds of fanfic writers at a large convention, proving which kind of fanfic was the best (somebody role played as having a fanfic called "Pandora the explora"). But now I have no clue what to flavor this as.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 02, 2015, 07:11:52 pm »

Buy: Do you buy it at the price it would be for you, or the price it would be for them?
Its listed price.

Return: Does return sell it back at full price, or only if the player has flexible?  If the first, it's rather pointless.
Only if flexible.

Doesn't seem particularly useful, in my opinion, because it gives you an incomplete list, which doesn't really help you find scum.  I actually have some thoughts on this I'm going to detail below (if I remember).
Still, someone bothered with it last game.

Workout: is that immediately or at the end of the turn?
Immediately. Or, you know, when I next am around to PM the target.

Changeline: ugg.  I have a personal problem with this ability.  It's nice to see an auto that can counter it, but still... the changeling bomb strategy is still legitimately too powerful.  Also, you forgot to note the nerfing you did to it in the description (specifically the one that would prevent the innate-changeling and one-shot changeling builds).  If that nerf is reinstituted, most of my problems with it go away.
Yep, I'll update the description

Vote Steal: is this the one that temporarily steals their vote or the permanent one?  Because the permenent one is far too powerful, given that it can be made a free power to start the game.
Temporary.

Reflect: The ability I would have used to break the last CYOM... self-reflect is pretty OP, since it makes you immune to all actions targeting you.  This probably needs to be made to cost more or nerfed to only reflect one action and reduced cost.
Remember this includes beneficial actions and there's an auto that gets around it. I'll think on it.

Convert: Even with the thing you mentioned, it's still not worth it.  It basically comes down to who happens to be online when the 24 hour no-action time at the beginning of the game happens, and that's not really fair to people who live in distant timezones.
With the inclusion of two scum teams/3rd parties I think I'll scrap convert again.

Booby-trap: as much as I like the idea of booby-trapping changeling, this seems like it would break the game.  It gets around the one-kill per player rule in some cases, and can be used on fairly obvious town or scum powers to blow the crap out of them.
It's pretty expensive though... maybe if it poisoned the players? (players should probably know they're poisoned.)

Grand Swap: All this does is reset the mask situation to the beginning of the game, where you don't even know what's going on.
Ultimate troll power.

Pardon: Are pardons announced?
Not sure... should they?

An update on the professions idea. I'm considering a different but similar approach. Players get licenses. Licenses cost 1 point (first one is free) and go up a point per day (D2 they're 2xp, D3 3xp etc.). A license lets players buy the powers and autos on its list. If you don't have the license, you can't buy them. This slows down some of the more broken combos. A licence can never be lost, exchanged etc. Each license has ten points worht of stuff, so with 5 starting points and 5 points of flaws you could max out your first license at the beginning if you wanted. Alternatively, you could buy lots of different licenses while they're cheap etc. The licenses would look something like this:

Apothecary License
Powers:
2 - Cleanse (One of targets flaws is removed, starting with any -2; if the target is infected/poisoned, the infection/poison is removed instead)
5 - Poison (player is killed at the end of the following day if they are not cleansed first. Players know they are poisoned.)
Auto:
3 – Hardy (you cannot be sapped or changeling'd)

Gunsmith License
Powers:
2 - Gift (give one of your powers to your target. Free- powers remain Free-.)
6 - Kill (kills target player)
Auto:
2 - Cautious (you ignore any reflects on your target)

Priest License
Powers:
2 - Protect  (protects target against kills before the next lynch)
2 – Bless (Target gains a random 2-point auto)
Autos:
1 - Professional: gain +1 point every time you successfully protect a kill or cleanse poison or infection.
3 – Holy (cannot be cursed, blessings have a 50% chance of giving you an auto further down this list)
2 – Virtuous (you can't be gossiped about or blackmailed)

Judge License
Power
10 - Pardon: Your target cannot be lynched at the end of this day. Any votes on them will not count.

Trapsmith License
10 - Booby-trap (Pick a power: until the end of the day, players that use this power are killed.)

I'm a little bit in two minds about this direction. On the one hand, having the freedom to pick from a huge list is great. But the downside is that some things get picked way more than others. This might encourage a wider range of tactics. Well, that's the hope.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 12, 2015, 02:07:52 pm »

Meh?  I was hoping for some feedback on an Idea I was seeded with.

Caught In the Middle Mafia

General
A setup that focuses upon more than the traditional scum/town conflict by including warring factions.  The idea was born from looking over 4mask's game idea.

Spoiler: factions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: wincons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: setup (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Role stuffs (click to show/hide)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2015, 11:11:07 pm »

I could see something like that working; how would the town power-roles be divided up?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 17, 2015, 09:58:51 pm »

meh.  I'm not nearly as sold on the best way to divide those.  The goons would be revealed as such by the inquisitor.  Same with Townies.

15 players (7 town)(3 wolf/vamp)(2 Inquis)
Spoiler: Mashup (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weak PR (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gossip (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: heavy (click to show/hide)

Other ideas would likely come once it was more fleshed out.  Some of them seem better than others . . . and I'm unsure about things like learning who bodyguarded whom.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:00:43 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 25, 2015, 03:45:48 pm »

So, as some of you know, I'm working on a bad reality TV mafia setup.  Link goes to the basic framework (the final setup will be somewhat different).

I'm looking for some interesting/fun/terrible challenges to force the players to do some day for money (and potentially immunity to the lynch for one day).  Ideas are very much welcome, and may end up in the game.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 25, 2015, 05:58:19 pm »

Ok....

Lier: Has to lie at least 5 times during the day.
Friend: Has to agree with everything one person says for one day.
Silent: Can only post 2 times for one day

...I cant think of any more off the top of my head, but those would mess everything up...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 25, 2015, 06:30:38 pm »

Friend: Has to agree with everything one person says for one day.
This could go wrong in so many ways.

Particularly if the person they agree with starts questioning them on agreeing with them, and having to still agree.

+1
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 25, 2015, 07:54:45 pm »

I see chaos in the near future...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 25, 2015, 08:11:45 pm »

Challenges? Hahahahah.
Paintball: Each player is given a color by PM during this challenge. Each post they make must include three or moretext colors, and no default color (Black in standard, white in darkling) (Red does not count, and is not a color in the challenge). If you post using a color given to another player, and they post right after you, they have just shot you and you can't talk until the challenge is over!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 26, 2015, 12:55:41 pm »

Nameless:  You can't use people's names, except when voting.  To prevent abuse, only one vote per post.  Abbreviations and shortenings (such as calling me Toast) are not allowed either. 

Twitter:  Maximum 140 characters per post.  Cannot double post.

Gossipy Mafia Idiot:  Mafia only.  Must include name of all living scumbuddies in every post.  (Could probably get some other good ideas from this thread.)

Anti-Plagarism:  Can only vote and/or action people who have quoted a post of yours that day.

Arbitrary:  Cannot vote in posts with other words.  Cannot double post with a vote.  (Credit to... flabort, I believe?)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 26, 2015, 06:47:35 pm »

Gossipy Mafia Idiot is something that can only really work once I think.  Pandarsenic's idea of pretending he had to provide a votecount every post was a pretty good way of handling it incidentally.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 02, 2015, 09:35:57 pm »

Spartacus: Player must make a false claim on something after another player claims it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 16, 2015, 03:14:50 pm »

I've done a little work on making a better version of the GBU game I ran awhile ago. Here's the (hopefully) improved version.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Return!

It's 1863 and the Civil War continues to rage. In the Wild West, the unlikely duo of Blondie, the Good, and Tuco, the Ugly, continue to hunt for a chest of gold buried in a cemetery, with Angel Eyes, the Bad, continuing to pursue them in his own search for the treasure. Their search brings them to another Union military camp, where once again a team of Confederate spies are sabotaging the encampment.

This game is a normal Mafia game with the exception of three players are third party players with no interest in the main portion of the game.

This game can have between 12 and 15 players. With 12 the set up is 7 Union soldiers, 2 Confederate Saboteurs, and 3 being the GBU. 15 player set up is 9 Union, 3 COnfederate, and the 3 GBU

Union Players are Town and win when all Confederates are dead. The lynch vote is the town's main weapon. The town will get two players who have secondary abilities. These players will have a random chance of being one of several roles, a General (is able to reveal as an night action and receives an extra vote, but can't be protected after he reveals), a Captain (able to inspect players roles), an Angry Private (has a one-shot vigkill) and a Guardsman (a Jailkeeper, roleblocks and protects his target)

Confederate Players are Mafia/Scum and win when all the Union players are dead. The Confederates have access to a quicktopic and have a Night Kill. The Confederates also have one player with an extra ability, either a Captain (inspects roles) or a Saboteur (roleblocker)

The Third Parties:
The Good: This player wins by keeping the Ugly alive until D4 and surviving to the end of the game. The Good knows who the Ugly is and has a one-shot Nightkill. The Good appears Confederate to inspects
The Bad: The Bad wins by keeping himself alive until the game ends or the Good and the Ugly are dead. The Bad has a Nightkill. The Bad appears Union to inspects.
The Ugly: The Ugly wins by keeping the Good alive until D4 and surviving until the game ends. The Ugly knows the identity of the Good. On the first attempt to kill the Ugly, the kill will backfire and result in the death of the one performing the kill. The Ugly also will survive the first time he is lynched, but his identity will be revealed. The Ugly comes up as Confederate to inspects.

The Bad will leave the game upon winning. If the Good or the Ugly lose (due to the other one dying) they will leave the game. Due to the nature of the Good and the Bad's win condition the game must continue until the start of D4 for the Good and the Bad to win.

Was considering having a Secret Arms Dealer (can offer a 1-shot vig kill to another player in exchange for their vote the next day), but I felt like the game didn't really need another steady source of night kills.

I'll probably want to start this in the next week, since the only game out there right now is CYOM and that hasn't had much activity recently.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:17:14 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 16, 2015, 03:20:56 pm »

All seems reasonable enough: how does this differ from the original ruleset/what was the rationale for the changes?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 62