Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 318044 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: BOSS FIGHT!
« Reply #2160 on: March 15, 2015, 08:50:35 pm »

After my class I might make a list of words I DONT have, although then the GM will be able to have Karen "read my mind" for my wordlist completion. Meta is an intriguing thing ;D

I actually don't work on that level. Because I could even get to comment on how correct the word lists are. And I prefer the players to do science without interference from my part.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: March 15, 2015, 08:57:18 pm »

I'd imagine a large part of the enjoyment is schadenfreude from player mistakes and misassumptions.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 15, 2015, 09:02:39 pm »

I'd imagine a large part of the enjoyment is schadenfreude from player mistakes and misassumptions.

To be fair, it causes me headaches, because I assume first that the mistake was my fault, and then search all my messages for the uses of the word in question, and then the turns themselves to see if I wrote the correct meaning.

Fortunately, I didn't have to correct many things until now, and most mistakes are from the players themselves.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 16, 2015, 01:43:25 am »

"I'd like to turn myself into steel while standing on this bridge!!"
Says: TARGET_SELF and FIRE_FORWARD :P

So Derm, are you making your crossbow? I'll spit out some arrows this turn anyway.
I'm going to change the bolt recipe somewhat because of the potentially volatile nature of "explode", no need to all accidentally injure ourselves before it's time!

HARDER! BETTER! FASTER! MORE LETHAL!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 16, 2015, 02:48:35 am »

I sent in my fixed version of last turn actions, tomcost.

I say, science chum who couldn't be mistaken for an Igor at all, what say we go have a look-see at whatever's making all that riotous noise?"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: March 16, 2015, 06:08:50 am »

huhwha?

Oh. I think I'm firing something at the lake at the moment.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: March 16, 2015, 06:15:18 am »

Turn change!

The following is what actually happened to Doris:

[Pot:4-1=3]
That point in the wall that you were casually staring decided to glow a little, the size of the glow being quite small. After a brief time, it flashed with light, revealing now a lion made of steel, that could rather fit a teenager of their species more than a fully developed adult. After it realized that it was alive, it stared at both Doris and TNI. Its intentions probably aren't healthy for them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: March 16, 2015, 08:21:50 am »

"This Space Magic! doesn't always do what I expect..."

Take two
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: March 16, 2015, 11:54:48 am »

I say, science chum who couldn't be mistaken for an Igor at all, what say we go have a look-see at whatever's making all that riotous noise?"
"Maybe we should deal with the steel lion you summoned first. Unless you want to be "the dinner lady" in a completely different way."
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: March 16, 2015, 12:35:43 pm »

"Maybe we should deal with the steel lion you summoned first. Unless you want to be "the dinner lady" in a completely different way."
I personally blame the mysterious young chap who handed out that spell, but I agree that that's very much a bad kitty.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: March 18, 2015, 01:00:47 pm »

(Sorry about the wait), PM
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tribulations in Magic: Too many bosses.
« Reply #2171 on: March 18, 2015, 04:01:12 pm »

Turn 107

(Sorry about the wait), PM

You need something better than that ugly, disproportionately big silver rapier. You have the feeling that this would be better:

[Pot:1+1=2]
A golden line appears and wiggles! Okay, you did that wrong this time.

Wil: 1-1
Darn it, dice.

Attempt to keep my mind clear as I pick up the boomerang.

Actually, no. I have a better idea.

You have a better idea, one which consists in trying again!

[Pot:1+1=2]
A golden line appears, and then tries to draw something, only succeeding in bending slightly.

Okay, maybe you are out of luck.

"I'd like to turn myself into steel while standing on this bridge!!"
Says: TARGET_SELF and FIRE_FORWARD :P

So Derm, are you making your crossbow? I'll spit out some arrows this turn anyway.
I'm going to change the bolt recipe somewhat because of the potentially volatile nature of "explode", no need to all accidentally injure ourselves before it's time!

HARDER! BETTER! FASTER! MORE LETHAL!

Time to make some badass weaponry:

[Pot:2+1=3]
A golden line appears, and then splits into three smaller ones. Each of them draws a crossbow bolt. With a flash on light, each of them materializes into, well, some badass looking thing. Its shaft is made from steel, but it has a crystal tip, filled with some of that green acid.

Damn, you are going to be the envy of all those murderous fuckers here.

3 steel shaft bolts with acid filled crystal tips added to inventory

"This Space Magic! doesn't always do what I expect..."

Take two

Okay, lets see if this does work:

[Pot:3]
A golden line appears and draws a small chest-piece attached to a helmet. With a flash of light, it materializes into iron. Unfortunately, it is too small for you to wear.

Okay, so there's still a thing in the lake that can give points when it dies.

Revision: Aim at the lake in general.

You have a sudden revelation, and you will make most of it. You face the lake and say your words:

[Pot:4+1=5]
[Dex:6+1+1=7]

A raging inferno, perfectly contained in a sphere, materializes in front of you and flies in the direction of the lake. It collied against the wall, spilling hot magma and and causing the fire to disperse. The vine statue over the point of impact got its legs carbonized instantly, and the dispersing fire caught the rest of it. Many droplets of magma fell into the pool of water, causing steam to come out of it.

Immediately, an arm, twice as thick as those of the Doomknight erupted from the pool and shoved a wave of water into it, and the fire was extinguished. Shortly after, the arm was joined by another, and both of them pulled the rest of their body out of the water. It was a huge humanoid, made of stone, but covered in vines in many places. Its head was human-like, but bald, with a big brow above the creature's eyes. It moved slowly, but with determination.

[?? Will:5+2=7]
The creature growled, emitting a sound like that of a stone avalanche, and then motioned towards the floor with one arm and made a grasping, then yanking motion. A huge chunk of stone was pulled by it, lifting into the air. With the other arm, it pointed at the many plants in the room, and yanked some of them from the distance. With a series of complex movements the creature combined the floating materials into a long, but still thick object, a staff made of stone and plants compressed into wood, with thickened stone at its extremes. With the thing still in the air, the creature motioned and the staff fell into one of his hands, then the creature hit the floor with it, causing many cracks and a loud noise.

Then the creature stood there, staring at Derm, awaiting for him to do something. His furrowed head was the only thing indicating how angry it was.

Optional boss unlocked: The Garden Keeper

I personally blame the mysterious young chap who handed out that spell, but I agree that that's very much a bad kitty.

[Lion spd:5+1=6]
[TNI spd:4-1-1=2]
[Doris spd:5-1=4]

Without giving neither Not Igor nor Doris time to react, the metal lion jumped at Not Igor!

[Lion dex:3+1=4]
[TNI dex:5-1-1=3]

[Str:6-1=5]

And the lion latches in his left arm! And even worse, it shakes it violently, the little wretch slowly tearing away the metal man's arm.

Now the arm is [Mauled]

Doris tries to help and attempts to cast a spell:

[Pot:5-1=4]
She looks at the ceiling above the lion (but also above Not Igor), and it begins to glow. With a flash of light, it transforms into a black gooey substance that begins to drip from it, just over the two:

[TNI dex:1-1-1-2=-3]
[Lion dex:6+1-2=5]

And Not Igor gets a nice bath of pitch, as the lion sees it coming and releases him.

Not Igor is bathed in pitch! -1 to both speed and dexterity, because it is sticky. Try to not get near fire.

But Not Igor tries to make a good use of this temporary situation and casts a spell:

[Pot:6]
A thick line appears, and draws a big pair of gauntlets. With a flash of light, they materialize into diamond! Not Igor quickly puts his sticky hands inside the gloves. Had they no been so spacious, they could have stuck within the gloves.

-Big diamond gloves:
[Heavy]
[Crystaline structure]
You receive no damage in your hands until they break. Blunt damage just goes through.

The fact that he is covered by flammable pitch makes him think twice about doing anything electricity-related. Mainly because some nasty spark may cause a flame to erupt.

And, to make things worse, something was heard from the hole in the ceiling (despite nobody being able to see anything but darkness in there):

ARCANE TECH CORPORATION! YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR SINS! THOSE WHO DEAL WITH WHAT THEY SHOULDN'T, SHALL MEET OUT ETERNAL RAGE!

Well, fuck. Maybe it would be a nice time to run away.

Quote from: Beirus
PM

[♪]

[Robert spd:3+1+1=5]
[DM?? spd:4]

Robert, again, tries to unleash more magic upon the possessed Knight:

[Robert pot:2+1=3]
[Robert will:2+1=3]
[DM?? will:5]

And some green, wailing skulls appear in front of Robert, but the Doomknight just rushes through them, like if they were nothing!

When he almost was over Robert, a high-pitched whisper came from him:

[DM?? Pot:2]
Robert felt a little bit of a pulling force, but the Knight just continued his onslaught:

[DM?? dex:5+1-1-1=4]
[Robert dex:4+1+1=6]

But fortunately for Robert, he manager to evade the swing from the monstrous axe.

The runes across the Knight's bodies have not disappeared yet.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dorsidwarf (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NAV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: endlessblaze (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Too many bosses.
« Reply #2172 on: March 18, 2015, 04:08:04 pm »

The Space Wizard! looked at what just entered.

"He did it!"

With a point at Derm, he bolted.

NOPE off down the southern hallway.  Also try that same spell again.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: March 18, 2015, 04:10:39 pm »

NOPE off down the southern hallway.  Also try that same spell again.

Southern or South-Eastern?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: March 18, 2015, 04:13:48 pm »

"Well. Hello there."

(It occurs to me that maybe I should have postponed that.)
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 197