Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317794 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: a Perplexicon Game.
« Reply #375 on: February 07, 2014, 10:43:42 pm »

RUN AWAY

((GWG, you need to calm down more and just roll with it.))
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 07, 2014, 10:49:12 pm »

"Where you going, boy?"

Magical rebuttal
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 07, 2014, 10:49:36 pm »

things

((Endurance on this game is for resisting pain, not mitigating damage.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 07, 2014, 11:03:25 pm »

((GWG, you need to calm down more and just roll with it.))
((Well, it's annoying so I want to vent, it's very odd, and there were at least two potential rules concerns--))

((Endurance on this game is for resisting pain, not mitigating damage.))
((--one potential rules concern involved in the end result of that turn.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 08, 2014, 01:56:06 am »

My leg isn't going to heal itself is it? Seeing Derm's foot vaporize reminded me :P

At least it's cauterized ;D

NO MATTER! SCIENCE!
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 08, 2014, 07:23:09 am »

PM sent.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 08, 2014, 12:26:48 pm »

[Romek str:6]
Romek, in a surprising turn of events realized that he knew martial arts! He jumped, spun in mid-air, and kicked the Dragon Knight's face, rendering him unconscious.
[Unconscious]
1. What the hell? I don't even get an Endurance roll to resist?
2. What the hell? I'm the guy specced for close-quarters combat!
3dit: Also, isn't 6 an overshot? He should have broken his leg or something.

Wake up.
RTD rules only apply to absolute rolls. Combat rolls are not absolute. Also, I'm only doing damage for the attacker in the case of different materials. You can all assume that you have some nondescript kind of footwear that somewhat mitigates your hits.

As I said before, the rules applied for combat damage are as follows:

1) Nothing happens.
2-3) Minor penalty.
4-5) Medium penalty.
6) Maximum penalty.

The maximum penalty varies depending on the weapon:
-Slashing: [Heavy bleeding 3/3]
-Hacking: practically severed limb+heavy bleeding. Has another mechanic involved.
-Blunt: [Broken] limb.
-Unarmed: [Heavy pain] or others, depending on context. A blow to the head naturally causes unconciousness.

Now, I know that suddenly being KOed by someone who you thought you could win is something really unexpected. Well, actually, it is. I was really surprised when he rolled that six.

If you analize his action, you realize that he took a lot of risk for an unlikely reward:
-He aimed the kick to the head, giving him a -1 penalty. This effectively reduced his chances from hitting from a 41.67% to a 27.78%., but also increaing his chances of being counteratacked.
-He attacked a part that wasn't important for your build. Penalties for the head affect pot rolls only.
-The possibilities for rolling a 6 were of 16.66%. This means that the possibilities of that happening were of 4.62%.

So, what happened here? A bad move from a player became an amazing move because of sheer luck. A more sensible option would have been to do an unaimed attack, but again that +1 in endurance you have would have negated any posbilities of you going unconcious.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 08, 2014, 01:08:04 pm »

And I didn't even aim for unconciousness. I aimed for knocking him back to give me time, at least. Worked out better than expected, though.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 08, 2014, 01:09:55 pm »

And I didn't even aim for unconciousness. I aimed for knocking him back to give me time, at least. Worked out better than expected, though.
The nearest thing to knocking somebody back is to cause pain in a speed-related area, like the legs or the chest.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 08, 2014, 10:04:06 pm »

Solar Plexus. Best place to hit basically all of the time.

Unless you've got a weapon or claws.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 08, 2014, 10:20:45 pm »

Or if you're not good with aiming.

Or if you're not sure what the solar plexus is.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 08, 2014, 11:57:34 pm »

Even if you're not good at aiming, it's in the center of mass.

It's a cluster of nerves right below your ribcage, in that little gap. If you get hit there but not directly on the solar plexus, you get winded. If you get hit in the solar plexus, you could suffer terrible things like liver failure and paralysis. Not right away, and I'm a lot foggy on the details, but still. There or the neck are good places to hit hard and fast. Big and strong should aim for head, collarbone, or gut, of course.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 09, 2014, 08:50:53 am »

Even if you're not good at aiming, it's in the center of mass.

It's a cluster of nerves right below your ribcage, in that little gap. If you get hit there but not directly on the solar plexus, you get winded. If you get hit in the solar plexus, you could suffer terrible things like liver failure and paralysis. Not right away, and I'm a lot foggy on the details, but still. There or the neck are good places to hit hard and fast. Big and strong should aim for head, collarbone, or gut, of course.
This is true. Actually, a six in the chest would cause you to get winded, but I'm not sure yet about which penalties should carry. Maybe a stright -1 to physical stats and endurance. Maybe.

[This is not an in-game thing:]
But I have to disagree that it is always the best place to hit. If your adversary is, for example, currently trying to kick you, simply kicking his knee would make him fall, giving you an important edge. Or sometimes the groin is also exposed.
The neck has the problem of being most of the time protected by the chin, or at least a competent fighter should be doing so. The fun thing is that when people get cocky they tend to pull up their head and expose it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 09, 2014, 12:36:00 pm »

True. I wasn't really considering situational things, just general aiming points.

Groin can be a good place to aim, particularly if they're male. Though to cause enough pain to be useful, you have to use your leg, and if they catch it between theirs while you're kicking...well, both of you will be off-balance.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 09, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »

Women also have lots of nerves there, you know. Supposedly, it's not that much different to hit a woman there than a man.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 197