Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317961 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Opposing forces
« Reply #480 on: February 18, 2014, 03:24:03 pm »

... I didn't send the fire thing though?

Edit: Oh, you considered my 'Once more' as to repeat the same action. My bad, I think.

Well, lets try another thing then.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:26:24 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 18, 2014, 03:38:52 pm »

And why does biting my tongue cause me to have a "random chance to...prevent limb usage"? It doesn't make sense!
I have explained it before, the head penalties apply to pot rolls. If your tongue doesn't work properly, you can't say words effectively, as well as if you have a terrible headache that doesn't let you concentrate.

The [tags] I use are generic ones, so that I don't have to explain every thing again and again.

And, finally, pain is cumulative. You were knocked unconcious and you woke up with a terrible headache because of that. It was fading away, but due to your epic fail in casting a spell (which could be expected with a permanent -1 malus to doing it, although not to such scale), I decided to give you two points of pain more, thus going from Pain II to Heavy pain.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 18, 2014, 04:36:52 pm »

I understand from a game perspective, but...still, it's odd.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 18, 2014, 04:58:57 pm »

Could you please message my last turn to me? Specifically the words I used, I forgot to save a copy and the list I have stored on my computer for some reason never saved.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2014, 05:18:09 pm »

I understand from a game perspective, but...still, it's odd.
I know. I've been trying to make an equilibrium between playability and realism, so that certain stuff is not overpowered, and at the same time preventing this kind of silly stuff. I considered, for example, making pain a general debuff, so that no matter where you hit, that adds up. But it would be odd to faint from having little bruises all around your body.

Anyway, you got to negative numbers. That's sheer incompetence from your character (You can't get to negative numbers in most circumstances, unless you are terribly crippled).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2014, 05:48:13 pm »

The Dragon Knight was supposed to be a mighty, powerful warrior, destroying enemies in hand-to-hand combat before people learned enough to make such tactics obsolete.

He has been sucking at this. Significantly.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2014, 06:50:27 pm »

((If romek rolls a 1 on his cliffhanger recovery do i get the kill?))

do things.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »

I TRANSMUTE THEE TO A SQUID.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2014, 07:19:45 pm »

((Cue retaliatory tentacle rape and/or strangulation.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2014, 08:23:14 pm »

Why am I still technically in the Grand Room, while Thrakor is on the bridge?

Also, I think I should have two pool.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 18, 2014, 09:18:02 pm »

The Dragon Knight was supposed to be a mighty, powerful warrior, destroying enemies in hand-to-hand combat before people learned enough to make such tactics obsolete.

He has been sucking at this. Significantly.
Well, Unholy pretty much suffered the same thing. I'm tied to what the dice say.

Anyway, with your current stats, you weren't so specialized as you may think. if you had one point less in both pool and speed, you could put them into dexterity, effectively making a good use of your +1 in strength. That +1 in strength actually makes 1 out of 3 attacks from you to apply the maximum penalty (for flesh). You already hit hard, but you didn't have the opportunity to do so because you missed.

((If romek rolls a 1 on his cliffhanger recovery do i get the kill?))

do things.
Yes.
Why am I still technically in the Grand Room, while Thrakor is on the bridge?

Also, I think I should have two pool.
I knew that I missed one character sheet. Thanks for pointing out. Yes, you are in the East Entrance of the Portal Room, with two pool.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 18, 2014, 10:27:03 pm »

*sighsobsob*
"Paralysed *cough*, weake*cough*nd, dangeling from a *cousplutter* CLIFF!"

Bigf01t re-assures himself in his ineptitude, that at least everyone else here sucks just as badly. Sometimes worse. At least he hasn't died, despite giving himself two unique and horrible debuffs by accident.

DEPRESSED WORDS FROM A DEPRESSED SCIENTIST WHO IS THINKING SOULS ARE FOREVER OUTSIDE OF HIS REACH.

Will science after this. Science is nice, at least then I can kill someone. That might be MYSELF, but REGARDLESS!
My GOD, I need more dex and strength to kill people, at LEAST more strength, but I need more pool to have half a chance to science fast enough! I need, something like... 8 souls...

Hmm...

Slightly perkier scientist gets ready to try something ELSE. Hmm. No-one is in danger, yet, bar Romek, he's pretty [CENSORED] right now. But not from me.
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 18, 2014, 11:11:46 pm »

Well, Unholy pretty much suffered the same thing. I'm tied to what the dice say.
Not saying otherwise. Just because both of us are getting screwed doesn't mean one of us isn't.

Anyway, with your current stats, you weren't so specialized as you may think. if you had one point less in both pool and speed, you could put them into dexterity, effectively making a good use of your +1 in strength. That +1 in strength actually makes 1 out of 3 attacks from you to apply the maximum penalty (for flesh). You already hit hard, but you didn't have the opportunity to do so because you missed.
What kind of knight is dextrous?
And I wanted to not suck too hard if I survived long enough for magic to be scienced into superiority.
Sig

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 19, 2014, 06:18:22 am »

What kind of knight is dextrous?
And I wanted to not suck too hard if I survived long enough for magic to be scienced into superiority.
A knight not using armor. Because to move normally in armor, you have to be dexterous out of it.

Magic is not scienced into superiority, and, really, I made magic as dangerous in this game to give physical characters a longer edge during the start of the game. Remember, physical characters can't hurt themselves by trying to hit other people. Wizards can.

What I think that I will do at some point is change the targeted pain/bleeding system for something more general. It would, in theory, allow soemone to bleed out from a thousand papercuts and pass out from another thousand of little hits, but it will hopefully make things more interesting (namely, by getting more people killed). Either that or making even a 1 do damage in the strength roll, and thus making both fives and sixes apply the maximmum penalty.

Meanwhile: Get weapons! They are deadly, and they are the main incentive to don't use unarmed combat.
Consider this: if the DK gets hit with a 6, the worst outcome that he could have is not being able to use a limb. How bad is that? A -1, maybe. If he gets hit with a [Blunt weapon], he is going to lose a limb, or die if he gets hit in the head or the chest. Same applied for other weapons, but with consequences that are more deadly.
(I used the example of the DK because he has a +1 to endurance, just because of that)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 19, 2014, 09:10:20 am »

"Where you going!"

Magical mystery fun!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 197