Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 318013 times)

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Trinity of bad news
« Reply #840 on: April 15, 2014, 12:04:34 pm »

To be fair, I typo'd.
I guessed :P

That said, the point is it's easy to make an AI.  Making a GOOD AI is a whole different story.
I can only remember Java because I have used it recently.

// Gasp! It goes forever!
while (true) {
     wanderBlindly();
}

Or perhaps:
turn.setDefaultTurn("Run around in circles!");
turn.send();
Or even (with a chance at winning!):
turn.setDefaultTurn("Headbutt nearest player. To Death. Spend soul in Strength. Ignore Dex.");
turn.send();
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 15, 2014, 12:53:48 pm »

An AI playing an actual game? I don't know if it would be entertaining. The most interesting part of Perplexicon is doing science yourself, trying to figure out the pattern, or making cool spells. I doubt that any waitlister reads a turn for anythin other than being prepared for whenever he pops into the game. A public wordlist woul change that, though.

So, I wouldn't put an AI as a player. Using it for NPCs would be interesting (I mean, not the bosses), but it sadly goes against my magic NPC system (I hinted how it works at some point).

Also, turn is made, but still waiting for Icefire.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 15, 2014, 02:42:41 pm »

Go troll #bay12rtd for suggestions if he doesn't show.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 15, 2014, 03:17:09 pm »

An AI playing an actual game? I don't know if it would be entertaining. The most interesting part of Perplexicon is doing science yourself, trying to figure out the pattern, or making cool spells. I doubt that any waitlister reads a turn for anythin other than being prepared for whenever he pops into the game. A public wordlist woul change that, though.
So, I wouldn't put an AI as a player.
Eh. It wasn't ever likely to be more than a dancing bear anyways.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 15, 2014, 10:19:27 pm »

So, I wouldn't put an AI as a player.
Eh. It wasn't ever likely to be more than a dancing bear anyways.
I was mostly joking, although a literal Dancing Bear AI sounds like a good idea! "DanceBear does the Bus Stop! DanceBear starts dancing with Flimsy Wizard! [Strength Roll > 6-0] Flimsy Wizard is caught up in the disco hurricane and can't escape! Dancebear and Flimsy do the Tango!"
:P
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 18, 2014, 01:02:37 pm »

Turn 031

Quote from: GWG and Derm
PMs

The Dragon Knight and Derm briefly ponder about what to do with the ring that has only showed to be able to repair the golden hammer. They conclude that any experiment is likely going to fall, so they do the other, more reliable and classic science:

The Knight starts:

[Pot:3]
A faint golden glow comes from your head.

Sadly, his magic mojo is limited, so Derm has to do the bulk of the job:

[Pot:5+1=6]
You feel nothing itself moving near the floor. It is an odd sensation. How can nothing do something? Maybe it has to do with the fact that your hands were directed towards it?

[Pot:2]
Now the same nothing is also moving, but you can't discern where.

[Pot:5]
You can feel like if nothing itself jumped out of your mouth.

[Pot:6]
You axe-foot begins to glow, but is fades away after some time.

[Pot:6+1=7]
Now the floor beneath you is glowing. You were in the exact position as in your first word, so maybe it has something to do with it.

That was, a rather odd magic session.

The Dragon Knight walks to the NW hallway through the Arcane Room and sees Flimsy there. He has seen better days. Better to rub your ring all across him, It will make him feel better!

Five minutes of doing so proves that it was fruitless and embarassing. Not to mention that Flimsy now wants you to explain why the fuck did you rub his chest with a ring during those previous five minutes.

Stomp on Toaster's face until he dies.

Pick up the Flimsy Wizard, and throw him at the enemy!

In the NW hallway, something odd was happening:

[Cromwell spd:4+1=5]
[Flimsy spd:3-1-1=1]

Cromwell decides that the best way to kill an unconscious dude is to throw somebody at him. Because choking, head trauma and neck-stomping are so mainstream.

[Cromwell dex:5]
[Flimsy dex:5-1-1=3]
[Cromwell str:2-1=1]
[Flimsy str:5-1=4]

And, while Cromwell managed to grab the Wizard by his shoulders, the iron man shoved him away, and went for an old boring head-stomp:

[Flimsy str:5-1+1=5]
And after a good amount of stomping, Thrakor's head begun to slowly crack open until the force of the metal foot penetrated it suddenly. Now the Wizard has to find a way to clean his foot. The alien squid now lying in the reddish paste is pretty soaked in it to work.

Thrakor is dead, The Flimsy Wizard gains a point.

As the Wizard absorbs the sweet soul of the recently deceased, the Dragon Knight comes inside the room and begisn rubbing his chest with a golden ring for five minutes or so. it is uncomfortably embarassing, mainly because nothing happens. The scene ends with a bewildered Wizard staring at the Knight.

Turn.

Words.

Bigf01t continues with his science, despite the fact the he just discovered that he can summon antimatter and there is a dude that seems to know more about that. But he is stubborn like that, he has to discover things on his own.

First, lets try to throw that chitin to the wall. You pick it, and it vibrates even more, but calms down as it gets used to your hand. You then throw it.

[Dex:1+1=2]
The chitin explodes, releasing a an expansive wave of energy, that don't even bother to evade. It makes you to fall on your right arm, which seems to have bended slightly, but barely noticeable. The material absorbed most of the force from the blow. All that is left is a slight crack on the wall and some plants that flew around.

Yeah, for what I can tell that spell was incomplete, but it defaults to raw energy when not worded correctly. You should be careful with that, you know.
The man then turns to the floating woman:
Can you call the keeper? I don't like when this gets so disorganized.
The woman doesn't answer, but turn around and faces the pool of water. A big arm made of stone and vines comes out of it, then points at the wall, and the cracks disappear, then begins to move the plants to their former positions with its finger from afar. After completing the task, it goes back into the water.
Ahh, much better.
Why don't you call that energy by its "complete" name?-The big guy interrupts him with a snarky-sounding comment.
Because it has to be renamed, conventional physics doesn't mean anything any more- The bearded man says turning to the muscled fellow
Or maybe because you are embarrassed to do that?
I'm not, it is just that dark energy is a term that just doesn't fit the phenomenon. I don't know how could it be named, actually, but just saying energy is a temporary solution.
You don't want to call it dark just because it glows golden, right?- A smirk is formed in the big dude's face.
I'm going to stop it now, guys, I hope you don't mind- The floating lady interrupts.
Yes, better not to get in silly arguments with people who just doesn't even understand how this works.

Bigf01t shrugs and tries some science. He hopes that it won't explode this time. Or at least not on him.

[Pot:1+1=2]
You think that some dust materialized in front of you, but you are not really sure.

For some reason you just thought of a lillipop. You then internally ask yourself the classic WTF?!?!?

And now a golden line happens to appear and dance for you. Weeeeeeeeeeee... That was pathetic.

Athanasios, meanwhile, kept doing science:

[Pot:1]
[Will:3]
Your right arm bursts with a golden glow, and then it is not there any more! It-it has been replaced by something! It seems like air flowing, but in a very particular way. The dust particles caught within seem to form something. A face and two arms. The face has some nasty looking teeth. It appears that it wants to kill you.

The odd trio burst in laugh. Even the floating lady joins the laughter.
I-I swear that I didn't expect such an epic failure.
Did you dee his face? Oh, I wish I had a camera!

Quote from: Icefire
Previous PM

Baldr rubs his eyes and attempts to do science, even if his eyes hurt a lot:

[Pot:6+1=7]
A golden line appears and forms. Hey, you already now that, a pig! With a flash of light, it becomes material...or sort of. You can't really see it well, because it is too bright. It is emitting a lot of light. You try to hug it, anyway, and find that upon doing so your arms go through it, making it dissolve, and making you feel a slightly dangerous amount of heat. Wait, it dissolved? Did you just kill it? Yes. You are a really bad Porcumancer. Have you ever seen a Porcumancer who killed his own pigs? The GM's answer to this question is negative, but he also hasn't seen any Porcumancer other than you.

The big guy stops laughing to look at you.
Dude, did you just try to hug light?-He is then interrupted by the bearded guy.
You know, light is not actually something that can easily take a shape. Hugging it is like trying to hug air, on a loose comparison so that you can understand.
See, there are some kinds of...

[Pot:2+1=3]
A golden line apepars and forms a short humanoid figure. You ignore the bearded guy and shout to it in a friendly manner: Hey! Can you hear me? The shape doesn't answer and just disappears.

Laughter again fills the Greenhouse Room.
Okay, this is too much. I'm not ven going to explain that- The beaded man says, as he fails to contain the laughs and they burst out of his mouth loudly.
Damn, I was going to suggest you to leave and let them be, but I just can't believe the lack of common sense here- The floating lady adds giggling.

Mako Man Andy Ravage appears in the Magma Room. It is hot, and it is the only interesting thing there.

Character sheets

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Icefire2314 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RathofSTS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: mastahcheese (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TCM (click to show/hide)

GM comments

I automated Baldr's action for this turn, because I had some unused science. The next turn will count towards his termination if Icefire doesn't post an action.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 18, 2014, 01:10:27 pm »

Noooooo

Rewaitlist!

Name: Systar
Appearance: A sneaky devil of a man, with a well-trimmed beard and slicked down hair.
Stats:
Str: 3
Dex: 2
Spd: 2
Wil: 0
End: 1
Pot: 0
Pol: 1
Status effects:
Transformation status:
Inventory:
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 18, 2014, 01:15:42 pm »

"Ooooooh baby~"

Hell to the fuck yeah.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 18, 2014, 01:19:49 pm »

Noooooo

Rewaitlist!

Name: Systar
Appearance: A sneaky devil of a man, with a well-trimmed beard and slicked down hair.
Stats:
Str: 3
Dex: 2
Spd: 2
Wil: 0
End: 1
Pot: 0
Pol: 1
Status effects:
Transformation status:
Inventory:

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 18, 2014, 01:22:56 pm »

Umm, guys, apologies for the double post, but I edited the players and waitlist post and erased all the wailister sheets by mistake. Any means of going to the point it was previously?

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 18, 2014, 01:42:58 pm »

If you're using Mozzila Firefox, you could try the Lazarus Plugin, though I don't know for sure if it will work.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 18, 2014, 01:53:08 pm »

Using Google Chrome, sadly.

This is not something that can't be fixed, but it takes some time to track all the posts to their respective dates. *Sighs*

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 18, 2014, 02:26:43 pm »

Sorry again for the double post:

Slight turn change: the Dragon Knight is now in the NW hallway, and wasted some time rubbing his ring against The Flimsy Wizard's chest

On the waitlist subject, I think that I managed to make it again (please tell me if it is wrong):

1/02
Spoiler: Syvarris (click to show/hide)

19/02
Spoiler: Killehellhound (click to show/hide)

21/02
Spoiler: Darkpaladin109 (click to show/hide)

27/02
Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

17/04
Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Just now.
Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 18, 2014, 03:04:07 pm »

You know, if the secret is that the ring only works for the dwarf I am going to be so angry.

PM Sent
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 18, 2014, 03:14:40 pm »

You know, if the secret is that the ring only works for the dwarf I am going to be so angry.

PM Sent
It is unlikely for a modular magic system like Perplexicon, isn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 197