Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 318033 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Derm can now heal himself. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
« Reply #1320 on: July 23, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »

A serial re-seller, is he?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: July 23, 2014, 05:05:41 pm »

So there were only 7 points of exposure to distribute due to the POT roll and I got 2 of them? What if I hit him with it again? Is the exposure cumulative?

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 23, 2014, 05:13:30 pm »

So there were only 7 points of exposure to distribute due to the POT roll and I got 2 of them? What if I hit him with it again? Is the exposure cumulative?
Exactly. Electricity is not cumulative. At best, you refresh the paralysis time. At worst, nothing changes.

Electricity is designed a a debuffer, meant to open a way to escape from an anemy, rather than outright killing.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 23, 2014, 06:11:12 pm »

Time to take a page from The Art of WAAAGH!
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 23, 2014, 06:13:37 pm »

So what is meant to kill?

Acid? Fire seems like a Debuffer meant to allow you to gain the upper hand and kill them, with pain and burn statuses, but I don't really get how you're supposed to kill people, if you can't do it with freaking lightning.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 23, 2014, 07:14:20 pm »

Repeated damaging strikes, mostly.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 23, 2014, 08:53:37 pm »

So what is meant to kill?

Acid? Fire seems like a Debuffer meant to allow you to gain the upper hand and kill them, with pain and burn statuses, but I don't really get how you're supposed to kill people, if you can't do it with freaking lightning.
Acid, magma, arcane energy, black holes, other fun stuff, a combination of most of them. Repeated exposure to fire is fatal, but the spreading nature of the fire is what makes it more like a debuffer than a killer. It is actually magma with higher spread. If you can focus it into something, it would have the same effect.

There are almost no one-turn kills. And those that exist involve a lot of risk or specific situations.

And, as I stated earlier, I want combat to be more meaningful than you do x, player B dies, I want it to last longer, to be more interesting. That's why there are debuffers, but said debuffers, when exploiting a great weakness, can cause death.

Excluding miasma. That thing was supposed to be just annoying, and Miol just had horrible luck two times in a row. I'm considering making someone die at lower numbness levels, but I don't know to which extent it is fair. Reaching the IV level (-2 to rolls) should probably be enough to kill somebody, I think. Yes, I think that I will be changing that, so that we don't end up with such a ridiculous situation where I am giving someone more than a -2 for repeated exposure and he is still alive.

RathofSTS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 23, 2014, 09:29:44 pm »

Must survive...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 24, 2014, 08:17:11 am »

Extreme numbness could just knock someone out, which is usually fatal.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 24, 2014, 08:26:51 am »

Yeah, that's why I originally set that to happen at stage VI, where he would get a -3, and that would be too much to have someone stilla live, but I'm considering doing so with stage IV in the future. After all, it would mean that you would have to spend 4 turns rotting.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 25, 2014, 12:12:48 am »

Yeah, that's why I originally set that to happen at stage VI, where he would get a -3, and that would be too much to have someone stilla live, but I'm considering doing so with stage IV in the future. After all, it would mean that you would have to spend 4 turns rotting.
He would have died already if I didn't keep rolling so very poorly on strength.
Fortunately Death awaits him next turn. If I get the point it's going straight into strength.

TURN THINGS! (More mist for the both of them, more mace for Miol until he dies, then commence mace testing on Igor)
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 25, 2014, 12:36:38 pm »

Stomp Mako's head into a bloody mess.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 25, 2014, 06:25:38 pm »

Turn 056

IGOR SMASH!

TURN THINGS! (More mist for the both of them, more mace for Miol until he dies, then commence mace testing on Igor)

Must survive...

[Bigf01t spd:5]
[Igor spd:2-1=1]
[Miol spd:3-3-1=-1]

Alien guy strikes again: incessant mist breathing will surely ensue!

[Bigf01t pot:3+1=4]
[Miol dex:2-3=-1]
[Igor dex:6-1-2=3]

Miol inhales again, this time will be one of the last ones in which he will do so.

He isn't feeling anything, that is good. The calmness. He doesn't not have to feel the hideous hand grasping his hair and part of his forehead, and he even feels lucky to not have to actually watch the alien monster who assaulted him, as he has nothing to lose. The pain is no more. No mundane things are going to bother Miol again. He doesn't even have to bother breathing anymore. Or, rather, he can't even try. His body doesn't work any more, his lungs are static, much like the rest of his muscles. A final bit of desperation was born once his conciousness realized what was happening. That there was no rest, but death. It manifested a last time as a short-lived twitch in Miol's eye, imperceptible to his assailants, who were busy watching how Igor futilely bashed his head against the ground. The damage was already done. His limbs were somewhat hardened, and his body felt heavy once the soul within decided to stop supporting it. His skin was tainted with a dark shadow, a foul smell coming out of him. It was done.

A bit of a white smoke came of of the the chest of the limp body. Igor grinned as it came out, but it was not for him, for that he hadn't earned the kill. The smoke entered Bigf01t's chest, and he rejoiced in it, tasting again the pleasure of reaping a soul.

Miol is dead,Bigf01t gains a stat point

That was disappointing for Igor. And now seems even more due to that alien guy trying to beat him. Dammit!

[Bigf01t dex:1+1+1=3]
[Igor dex:5-1=4]

But he didn't try really hard. You evaded it just fine. Just.

But, Igor then realizes that he feels that something is bothering him, in his chest. He then coughs a little. Oh, no, not you too.

[Coughing]

"Well then. Maybe this will go better..."

Now, things are getting better!

[Pot:4+1+1=6]
Your chest glows, and without asking, it flashes, revealing behind all the light a brand new wizard chest. Woooo!

Lost burns and bleeding.

HALP

[Testurr spd:3-1=2]
[Thing spd:6+1=7]

The thing lunges at your throat, its hands having a murderous intent!

[Thing dex:6+1-1=6]
[Testurr dex:1]

[Thing str:6-1+1=6]
[Testurr str:6-1=5]

The thing grabs you with its coggy hands! They feel really uncomfortable, even more now that they are putting pressure on your windpipe:

[Thing str:6]
[Testurr end:6-1=5]

And the world begins to slowly banish, everything looking more and more diffuse until it becomes black.

Gained:
[Unconcious]

Stomp Mako's head into a bloody mess.

Time to take a page from The Art of WAAAGH!

JUST KEEP ROLLING ROLLING ROLLING

DODGING WOULD BE GOOD TOO.

((I understood that rolling means dodge))

The ork begins to channel his inner power. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
No hair was straightened upwards during this episode of possible copyright infringement, because the GM decided that this is a bald ork.

Meanwhile, the battle continues! Systar forgets about the arrows and wants to finish this once and for all, while Mako definitely doesn't want that to happen!

[Systar dex:5-1=4]
[Mako dex:4-1-1+1+1-1=3]

[Systar str:3+1=4]

But the kick caught one of the temples of the paralysed fighter, pretty much unable to evade it. The world soon begun to spin around. And that means that he is screwed.

[Dizziness]

Zolond appears in the Portal Room. Deja vu?

Character sheets
Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TCM (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NAV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roguearchivist (click to show/hide)

GM comments

Now I'm definitely away, but I wanted to do this before I left.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 25, 2014, 06:29:09 pm »

Well fuck

Goddamnit RNG
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 25, 2014, 06:31:26 pm »

Well fuck

Goddamnit RNG

Indeed, that was terrible luck. The good thing is that it has a -1 to str rolls, required to kill you.

By the way, if it managed to kill you, it would become a sort of mini-boss. because it will be worth 1 soul.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 197