Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317900 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Corpse shields. Scientific rage. Typical Perplexicon
« Reply #1395 on: August 19, 2014, 07:21:15 am »

Turn 060

SCIENCE!

[Pot:3+1=4]
You get a golden line that draws a warhammer. MC Hammer jokes are exclusive property of Systar. Any kind of attempt, effective or not, at using MC Hammer's name and/or appearance or gestures will be met with a warning at start, and punishment after several transgressions. Have a nice day- GM's office of silly jokes and references management.

At least science has calmed you down. You get to watch again the Grand Room, the diamond wall in the middle of it, the still floating chunk of chitin that you sincerely don't know what to do about. All being illuminated by the similarly floating round light sources equally distributed along the borders of the room.

And then you get a revelation, and a grin forms back in your melted face. The world will now your name. Soon.

Be confused. Walk to the greenhouse room. Look at book and say Words.

Where the hell am I? What am I supposed to do? Who am I?

You see some moss covering the walls of one of the exits of the hallway you are currently in, and so decide that it would be better to go that way, mainly because from the other room some weird fleshy noise made you sick, and the ominous octariney glow doesn't help either. You get to the room, only to see a small pond in the Eastern corner, and a bunch of plants, as tall as to reach your knees, constantly growing in size, or rather, their bulb constantly growing in size.

You look at the papers. It looks like a manual of some sort. Anyway, you read a couple words:

[Pot:1+1=2]
You get various similarly-sized and terribly small pieces of something red and wet.

Some of the bulbs, formed from leaves, begin to open. And from their interiors, nothing comes! Then the leaves close themselves again and the cycle begins, yet again.

That round of experimentation was less than useful.

Science!

Put on parachute pants and start dancing around the room.

[Zolond spd:3]
[Systar spd:1]

The diamond ork apologises and goes away. Well, time for some experimentation, you guess:

[Pot:4+1=5]
A golden line appears and draws a chair. Huh.

But you hear steps again. Or, rather, some really odd form of walking. Some odd bearded guy comes from the hallway, dances like if he had just got an epilepsy attack and then pulls a bow and aims at you. Damn:

[Systar str:6+1=7]

[Systar dex:1+1-1=1]
[Zolond dex:3]

And he spends so much time pulling from the weird string from the bow that when he was ready to fire the arrow, he couldn't even aim it, due to the sheer tension in his muscles. You just stood there as the arrow went to the other side of the room.

You guess that he counts as a bad neighbour, and so you cast your own spell:

[Zolond pot:2+1=3]

[Zolond dex:4]
[Systar dex:6]

[Zolond end:3-1=2]
[Beat your pot end:6-1=5]

A little spark comes out of Zolond's hand, but Systar went out of the trajectory before it was fired.

U CAN'T TOUCH THIS!

Oh, please, from all the possible villains that could appear, you had to get the worst imitation in the world of that rapper?

"At least I have failed to injure myself.  If only you were so lucky."

((I have the worst luck.))

RUN AWAY!
((You don't know what is bad luck, yet))

"You're really quite bad at this, aren't you?"

Stuff'n'things

Quote from: EP
PM

The shade slowly backs away, as Derm emits a metallic sigh. Guessing that he has run out of possibilities of getting a kill here, the shade goes back to the Grand Room, Derm following behind, but not with any kind of particular chase intention. There he finds his next target. It looks like a weakling, yeah:

[Thrancaole spd:5-1=4]
[Flimsy spd:4-1=3]

The shade rushes at the Wizard, who had just entered the Room, and casts a spell in the Wizard's face:

[Thrancaole pot:4]

[Flimsy dex:5-1=4]
[Thrancaole dex:6] ((Plus all your insane stuff))
And a bunch of acid appears in front of both of them, the shade backflipping to safety, and the Wizard clumsily jumping backwards.

Derm, not noticing that his friend is in danger, points at the wall, eager to do science:

You get a golden line. What a pretty golden line! Whoa, it wiggles away! Aka, you fail.

Nothing happens.

A chunk of diamond appears in front of you. You are rich! Like if it mattered now that you appear to be able to violate the principles of thermodynamics at will.

Another golden liiiine. It doesn't do anything uuseful!

Yet another golden liiine. It doesn't do anything but wiiigle!

Forgot this room was occupied. Back to the Grand Room, then non-aggressive words.

You apologize to the monochromatic guy and walk away. During your trip through the bottomless pit, you cross some guy walking sideways by rapidly moving his feet, like a crab on crack. You shrug and keep walking to the grand Room. There, the alien guy is holding his morningstar, now really gory, by the corpse of a guy. Anyway, you can't get distracted, you have to do something!

[Pot:6+1=7]
A red golden line appears, and begins drawing a huge two edged axe. With a flash of light, it materializes and falls to the ground. Two horns are coming from the place where the two blades come from, and a demonic face is carved in the center of the head of the axe. Two wolf heads come out of the grip, one to each side, with one over the other. Their mouths are open, and upon placing your hand in them to grasp the weapon, you notice that they lack both fangs and a tongue, making somewhat good hand-guards.

Diamond battle axe:
[Hacking weapon]
[Heavy]
[Two-handed]

You currently don't have the means nor the strength to carry both the naginata and the axe.

Character sheets
Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roguearchivist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Syvarris (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lost in Nowhere (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Corpse shields. Scientific rage. Typical Perplexicon
« Reply #1396 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:06 am »

Too legit to quit
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: more misses, less death. Waitlisters disappointed
« Reply #1398 on: August 19, 2014, 12:07:02 pm »

I think that now would be a good time to leave the area.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 19, 2014, 02:51:52 pm »

"You just don't know when to back off, do you?"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 19, 2014, 07:14:31 pm »

Time for Science!
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 19, 2014, 09:48:40 pm »

"Time to combine science and combat. Two of my favorite things."

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 20, 2014, 01:14:52 am »

I'm helpful.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 21, 2014, 08:54:25 am »

That moment when I realized I PM'd my action but forgot to post.

My apologies; science/murder/oh-god-what-is-that! will be back with you shortly. ;D
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: At what cost?
« Reply #1404 on: August 22, 2014, 09:56:22 am »

Turn 061

"Time to combine science and combat. Two of my favorite things."

Too legit to quit

While Zolond prepares to dodge another arrow, Systar prepares it.

[Systar str:5+1=6]

[Systar dex:3-1=2]
[Zolond dex:3+1=4]

And Systar just can't coordinate his strength. The arrow just gets away again. Dammit, and now it seems that the dark guy has recovered his magic mojo.

((By the way, as I said earlier, I'm only allowing one physical attack per turn. There are some punctual exceptions, but that goes related to a matter of properly using inertia and momentum.))

Time for Science!

Let's say a bunch of words together, and hope that you don't die!

[Pot:4+1=5]
A thick golden line appears and draws a huge hand from itself, like the size of your chest. The form looks slightly unstable, like if it was flowing. It just sits there, floating for a brief time, until it disappears.

((I ran the turn thinking that you wanted to say the words in just one sentence, because you said group. If that was not the case, please state that the words are to be said separately))

That moment when I realized I PM'd my action but forgot to post.

My apologies; science/murder/oh-god-what-is-that! will be back with you shortly. ;D

This is the time. You have been waiting for this for, like, two Time Units Replacing Normal Seconds (TURNS, for short). Now, you will conquer the world with sheer awesomeness:

[Pot:6+1=7]
Your body begins to glow as infinitesimally small points of light begin to be absorbed by it, only to flash a couple moments later. You are fleshy again, and then you realize that your head hurts and bleeds, as well as your leg, and you even have slight bruises on another part of your body. But your thoughts are interrupted as you begins to glow again, and with a flash of light, you feel incredibly different. You drop the morningstar, which falls to the ground some of the spikes chipping in the act. It appears that your hands are not as responsive as before. And your overall new body structure is making you bend on all fours. It feels odd. You look at your hands. They are claws, but the finger are even more elongated than before. The sharpness hasn't been lost, that's for sure. You are really exited about all this, then you discover that you have a new limb as it almost slams into your face. Yeah, that's a very long, and also sharp tail. You try to grin, then realize that your face is not nearly as expressive as before. Your, tongue, on the other hand, feels extremely odd.

Now, better test what you have acquired:
You try to spit. The first thing that you realize is that you have a mouth inside your own mouth, and that you have to open both of your mouths, and pull out your tongue-mouth to even think about spitting. This takes some time to realize, but then you are ready:

[Bigf01t pot: (fixed):2] ((7 Pot divided by 3))

[Bigf01t dex:1+1+1=3]

You spit some acid towards the diamond wall. You barely hit it. Yes, you barely hit a wall. You are bad. But also you are just learning, and realize that, if acid had to go through what would have been an esophagus had you needed to eat, that conduit must be somewhat resistant to it. You walk on all fours to the diamond wall and slightly touch the acid with the side of your tail. If this operation hadn't involved acid, it would have still been a feat for you. Sadly, you realize that the acid still burns. Damn.

And, to make things worse, you don't seem to be able to spit again. Maybe you are not an endless tank of acid. Or maybe you need to give your body some time back.

You also realize that, while you still have your crude armplate on one of your front legs, you dropped all the paper and cloth that was still left.

What is good, is that you don't feel that your wounds carried to this form.

Xenomorph form! ((Adapted from dragon form. Because biometal, acid, and because why the hell not? The differences are purely cosmetic.))
[Light]
[Yields]
[Soft]
[Naturally sharp]
Can't grab things, has no inventory.

Spoiler: Other stuff (click to show/hide)

Again, I suppose.

I think that now would be a good time to leave the area.

I'm helpful.

"You just don't know when to back off, do you?"

[Thrancaole spd:1-1=0]
[Flimsy spd:2-1=1]
[Robert spd:3]
[Derm spd:1-1=0]

The Ork, noticing all this rattle with that shadowy thing, tries to be helpful, and so he attempts to release a spell at it, but first he grabs his nice battle axe. Anyway, what was he doing? Oh, yes, trying to burn someone:

[Robert pot:4+1=5]
Spoiler: Extra calculations (click to show/hide)
[Thrancaole dex:1+3=4]

[Robert end:4]
[Thrancaole end:5-1=4]

A cone of the reddest flames you have ever seen erupts in front of the Ork spellcaster, engulfing part of him and most of the shade, which, despite jumping backwards, couldn't escape from the tremendous amount of flames! It managed to pull its head out before the were engulfed too, fortunately.

Unfortunately for both the shade and the ork, the fire was charged with static, which was unleashed into both combatants, and they felt how their limbs went numb:

Robert has:
[Slight paralysis]

Thrancaole has:
[Slight paralysis]
With [Minor burns] in arms, chest and right leg.

But, now, it comes the axe!

WAAAAAAAGHHHH!

[Robert dex:3-1=2]
[Thrancaole dex:5+2-1=6]

But the Ork noticed that he could barely swing the axe, being too heavy and all! The shade used the opportunity to get a good grasp of it!

Disarming:

[Thrancaole str:6-1=5]
[Robert str:1-1=0]

And the shade then kicks the ork in the chest, and he falls on his shiny buttocks.

Thrancaole now has the axe!

But, oh shit, now comes the Wizard:

[Flimsy pot:6+1=7]
Spoiler: Extra calculations (click to show/hide)

[Flimsy dex:6-1+2=7]
[Thrancaole dex:1+3=4]

[Flimsy end:6-1=5]
[Thrancaole end:4-1=3]

Spoiler: Even more boring math (click to show/hide)

A huge ball of fire erupts in front of the Wizard, as electricity crackles into the air. It is too big for the shade to evade it completely, and soon it is totally engulfed in it. But it doesn't even feel the fire, it is the static energy flowing trough all its body, making everything go numb, making it lose control of everything. As the fire quickly dissipates, only a prone and twitching shadowy figure remains, heavily scarred. The movement lasts very few time, though, and soon the twitching is replaced by stiffness.

Thrancaole is dead. The Flimsy Wizard gains a stat point

The Wizard didn't even feel the ecstasy of that reaped soul going into his body. He is suffering the same thing as the shade did, but his hearth is still working. Or so it seems.

The Wizard now has:
[Minor burns] in chest and right arm.
[Paralysis:2]

Derm arrived then, only to notice that he had missed all the fun. Also, his foot flashed with light and became an axe again.Excellent

The ork, on the other hand, moves in and grabs his axe again from the scarred corpse of the shade.

Magical Trevor appears in the Magma Room. The flowing magma goes well with his hair. He sincerely hopes that someone doesn't decide to put him in there though.

Character sheets
Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roguearchivist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lost in Nowhere (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)

GM comments
So, this happened when someone tried to repeat words in a spell. He almost ended up dying. I even changed the system during the making of the turn, so that the numbers didn't get too high. At the end, the RNG gods decided that they wanted the numbers to get high, no matter that I wanted them to be as average as possible.

Anyway, the system is simple:
You roll 1d6+ bonuses for each word. Each roll is then divided by the amount of repeated words, in a progressive order, the the results are added. At the end, the number is rounded to a manageable number.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 22, 2014, 10:06:16 am »

Heh.  Interesting mechanic.  Now how to abuse that...

"I guess that couldn't touch you!"

My my my my...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 22, 2014, 10:10:39 am »

Heh.  Interesting mechanic.  Now how to abuse that...
The whole backfiring thing is enough to prevent abuse, I think. The Flimsy Wizard could have died as easily as Thrancaole.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 22, 2014, 11:37:42 am »

"Indeed. You don't seem to be good at this whole archery thing."

Time for murder.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 22, 2014, 11:46:13 am »

"I hate my foot. I really, really do."
Sceince!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:11:37 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 22, 2014, 11:56:37 am »

"I hate my foot. I really, really do."

Focus Pot.
You could try doing something different, you know.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 197