Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1945 1946 [1947] 1948 1949 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2407118 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #29190 on: March 02, 2016, 06:44:07 pm »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29191 on: March 02, 2016, 06:45:36 pm »

I wouldn't be against doing something ORO like with ER as the backdrop, but we're still a bit caught here because the opinions of the players are still at what is basically a 50/50 split between new ER and Entirely new game.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #29192 on: March 02, 2016, 06:47:32 pm »

I'll roll a dice.
It says Oro!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29193 on: March 02, 2016, 06:47:51 pm »

:P Fair enough, just trying to sell my prefferred outcome. Im in it for the long haul regardless. Good GM's are hard to find =P
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29194 on: March 02, 2016, 06:54:36 pm »

I'd rather like an ER-inspired Oroboropolis. We could call it... Robobropolis!

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29195 on: March 02, 2016, 06:57:19 pm »

I'd rather like an ER-inspired Oroboropolis. We could call it... Robobropolis!
So, instead of a dragon eternally eating it's tail its instead Milno eternally eating his own arm. :P
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29196 on: March 02, 2016, 07:02:43 pm »

let's flip a coin...or two.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29197 on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:19 pm »

Hmm.  A lot of people posted while I was in class.

Quote from: Radio
Yeah, was gonna ask about that just before the skeleton ninja'd me, but one thing that doesn't seem to match up is how the effort to run a large game with lots of active players (MMWW) would equal that to run a game with a small amount of active players (the missions peeps) and where the others off-mission are self-flagellating organizing

I was explaining to Kedly why having the inactive city peeps be "zoomed out" wouldn't work.  In MMWW, everyone is zoomed out, and Kedly was suggesting that Oro would likely not have anybody with less.  But, Oro would also have the active mission people, who would be "zoomed in", rather than zoomed out, and therefore Kedly's idea for Oro would be more work intensive than MMWW.

Actual Oro: 50 people inactive, 0 people zoomed out, 5 people zoomed in
Kedly's Oro:  0 people inactive, 50 people zoomed out, 5 people zoomed in
MMWW:  0 people inactive, 55 people zoomed out, 0 people zoomed in

Quote from: Ozark
@syv
True. MMWW has that potential. it's just hte setting seems to be aimed in hte wrong direction for my taste - irreparable loss of a fundamental aspect of life leading to social decay / destruction, and hopelessness. On the other hand, with Oro, Faith and Hope are two driving factors in character growth / sustainability, and the ultimate success of the mission for the greater good is actually possible. that's a personal preference for me though.

Ancient greece had three types of play:
comedies (with happy endings)
tragedies (flawed characters and much sorrow - think oedepus) and
satyr plays (drunkenness, slapstick clowning, sex, potty humor - the Three Stooges meet Deadpool)

the entire internet is the third type, but I lean heavily toward the first. MMWW seems to lean more toward the second.

Well, I suppose that's a fair point that I can't really argue with.  I greatly prefer tragedies most of the time.  Or, at least, stories where he motivating emotions are negative.  Comedies which aren't motivated by tragedy invariably strike me as satyr plays, to use the greek terms.

I like how much we could influence the game world in significant ways, and really feel like your actions had an impact, both on missions and outside

...I'm not politicking here, but I greatly disagree with this.  Most missions feel like they won't affect the universe at large, regardless of how they go.  Sure, there's things like Nik's little fling dooming the universe, but that's the exception and really felt like it was out of the blue and unrelated to people's actions anyway.  Tinker virtually never feels like it actually accomplishes anything, though I suppose you might have a different experience with that due to the awesome goop thrower.

@player caps: Personally, I'd prefer having 2 5-man missions who update once every day (or even once every 2 days) than 1 missions that updates twice a day. Mostly because the latter doesn't work with my timezone, and I remember my first mission where I'd miss several turns due to my weak fleshy need for sleep.

*HEAVY AGREEMENT*

Yes, my timezone's only an hour or two off of PW's, but I dislike it when I miss turns of a game because I only checked it once or twice in a day.

Quote from: Kedly
Also the shipping company mission was one of my favourite missions once I learned how to start manipulating the city. I'm focussing so much attention on Oro partially because of this. Two significantly diferent types of playstyle. Mission vs ciy influence

I suppose Oro does have the missions too, but MMWW would certainly have far more city-influencing gameplay.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29198 on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:31 pm »

Hmm.  A lot of people posted while I was in class.

Yeah, was gonna ask about that just before the skeleton ninja'd me, but one thing that doesn't seem to match up is how the effort to run a large game with lots of active players (MMWW) would equal that to run a game with a small amount of active players (the missions peeps) and where the others off-mission are self-flagellating organizing

I was explaining to Kedly why having the inactive city peeps be "zoomed out" wouldn't work.  In MMWW, everyone is zoomed out, and Kedly was suggesting that Oro would likely not have anybody with less.  But, Oro would also have the active mission people, who would be "zoomed in", rather than zoomed out, and therefore Kedly's idea for Oro would be more work intensive than MMWW.

Actual Oro: 50 people inactive, 0 people zoomed out, 5 people zoomed in
Kedly's Oro:  0 people inactive, 50 people zoomed out, 5 people zoomed in
MMWW:  0 people inactive, 55 people zoomed out, 0 people zoomed in

Quote from: Ozark
@syv
True. MMWW has that potential. it's just hte setting seems to be aimed in hte wrong direction for my taste - irreparable loss of a fundamental aspect of life leading to social decay / destruction, and hopelessness. On the other hand, with Oro, Faith and Hope are two driving factors in character growth / sustainability, and the ultimate success of the mission for the greater good is actually possible. that's a personal preference for me though.

Ancient greece had three types of play:
comedies (with happy endings)
tragedies (flawed characters and much sorrow - think oedepus) and
satyr plays (drunkenness, slapstick clowning, sex, potty humor - the Three Stooges meet Deadpool)

the entire internet is the third type, but I lean heavily toward the first. MMWW seems to lean more toward the second.

Well, I suppose that's a fair point that I can't really argue with.  I greatly prefer tragedies most of the time.  Or, at least, stories where he motivating emotions are negative.  Comedies which aren't motivated by tragedy invariably strike me as satyr plays, to use the greek terms.

I like how much we could influence the game world in significant ways, and really feel like your actions had an impact, both on missions and outside

...I'm not politicking here, but I greatly disagree with this.  Most missions feel like they won't affect the universe at large, regardless of how they go.  Sure, there's things like Nik's little fling dooming the universe, but that's the exception and really felt like it was out of the blue and unrelated to people's actions anyway.  Tinker virtually never feels like it actually accomplishes anything, though I suppose you might have a different experience with that due to the awesome goop thrower.

@player caps: Personally, I'd prefer having 2 5-man missions who update once every day (or even once every 2 days) than 1 missions that updates twice a day. Mostly because the latter doesn't work with my timezone, and I remember my first mission where I'd miss several turns due to my weak fleshy need for sleep.

*HEAVY AGREEMENT*

Yes, my timezone's only an hour or two off of PW's, but I dislike it when I miss turns of a game because I only checked it once or twice in a day.

Quote from: Kedly
Also the shipping company mission was one of my favourite missions once I learned how to start manipulating the city. I'm focussing so much attention on Oro partially because of this. Two significantly diferent types of playstyle. Mission vs ciy influence

I suppose Oro does have the missions too, but MMWW would certainly have far more city-influencing gameplay.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #29199 on: March 02, 2016, 09:18:04 pm »

But... what about Mainspring? ;)
Or that one exploration game that we played in Limbo.

I'm with Oz, I prefer a bit of Grimbright to the old standard Grimdark.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29200 on: March 02, 2016, 09:19:47 pm »

But... what about Mainspring? ;)
Or that one exploration game that we played in Limbo.

I'm with Oz, I prefer a bit of Grimbright to the old standard Grimdark.
agreed. If I wanted grim derp of grim derpiness, I would play a warhammer 40k rpg.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29201 on: March 02, 2016, 09:45:54 pm »

I dont mind dark. If grimbright means shits dark, but theres still hope of crawling and scraping your way into something nice, then yeah, I like grimbright

Also +1 to preffering 2 teams of daily updates over 1 team of dual daily updates only having to check in once a day is a nice level of commitment without getting too time intensive
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:48:17 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #29203 on: March 02, 2016, 09:54:36 pm »

I dont mind dark. If grimbright means shits dark, but theres still hope of crawling and scraping your way into something nice, then yeah, I like grimbright

Also +1 to preffering 2 teams of daily updates over 1 team of dual daily updates only having to check in once a day is a nice level of commitment without getting too time intensive
Hmm, or maybe that's Nobledark...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #29204 on: March 02, 2016, 11:55:29 pm »

Welp, as long as it doesn't mean immediately dying horribly from rolling a 3, I guess I could go with that too.

If it's dying horribly slowly or immediately dying peacefully I'm cool with that.
Pages: 1 ... 1945 1946 [1947] 1948 1949 ... 2205