Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216030 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 11:37:53 am »

To Virtual Reality, all participants in a single Tinker session, set to record and automatically download the file for later review.
Ooh, can I play ball to?
and you can only use parts from cutting lasers and above, and not the full weapon.
Just to be clear: nothing but stuff from the regular armory listing? Cause that severely limits options (both your and Sean's designs wouldn't be applicable, for example). I went with nonstandard stuff for these, though feel free to ignore them completely.

(since I'm not actually in the running, I'll just give short concept descriptions of these instead of fully fleshed out designs.)

Spoiler: automanip launcher (click to show/hide)

For both of these: if projectile cannot be made small enough to be effective, use mobile missile platform (threaded vehicle with radio, basically) and give troopers some way of designating what target they want hit.

Details like exact size, what to use as (self-oxidizing) fuel and related stuff can be worked out later on, once PW confirms concept is possible.

@ PW: just as a concept, would any of these be impossible in ER?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:07:27 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 12:17:25 pm »

So getting back into serious mode, has anyone ever packaged all the current basic genemods together?

So basically a serum what makes you have nopain, regen, and improves your stats generally?

What would the cost of such a thing be?

Oh also, where are we on designs for our Titan?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:22:26 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2014, 12:34:09 pm »

((Oh god.  Did you really have to show Saint the VR machines?  There goes any hope of roleplaying for the next couple weeks, I suppose.  ;p))

When Simus finishes describing her assignment, Saint draws in a breath as if to speak, but he stays silent.  Saint then follows the group to the VR machines, and gets in one after watching a few others go through the process.

Once inside, he spends his first few minutes simply watching the other participants.  However, before long he walks a distance away and sets up a self contained box with a battlesuit inside.  He spends several minutes examining the machine inside and out, and when that isn't enough, he checks what it was designed to fight, and how well it worked.  Finally, he decides to spawn three self contained arenas.  Each one has a standard UWM battlesuit fighting an enemy who has had time to equip and prepare themselves to fight one.  The first arena has Altered, the second has UWM infantry, and the last has whatever the most effective rebel group that fought the UWM was.  Saint pays close attention to how these forces defeat a battlesuit, or even if they're capable.

Finally, Saint pulls up the armory and spawns friendly UWM troopers equipped with the various lower tier weapons, and simply directs them to fire at dummy battlesuits.  Only after watching for awhile does he launch into the actual design process.

((Useless RP stuff at the beginning of the post is because Simus said this was testing how people work.  So, I showed how Saint would work through the problem.  Of course, I already know most of the stuff, so only a little bit is bolded.

Pre-post edit: Dangit, Radio!  I should have posted this last night instead of waiting to proofread.  Now we're building the same basic thing.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2014, 12:44:03 pm »

Pre-post edit: Dangit, Radio!  I should have posted this last night instead of waiting to proofread.  Now we're building the same basic thing.))
((Sorry dude, didn't know that. I just thought of that rough concept in like 5 minutes and jotted it down for fun's sake. But hey, Miya isn't in the running, so feel free to claim it as your own. I'll just steal one of your ideas in return  :P ))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2014, 12:54:09 pm »

((It's not your fault, I'm just annoyed with myself for waiting.  It's not really surprising we both came up with the same basic idea.

And it's not really that similar.  You're building a rocket launcher style thing, whereas I'm building a short ranged grenade launcher that can be used to set traps.  Mine is more oriented for CQB.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2014, 12:55:02 pm »

So getting back into serious mode, has anyone ever packaged all the current basic genemods together?

So basically a serum what makes you have nopain, regen, and improves your stats generally?

What would the cost of such a thing be?

Oh also, where are we on designs for our Titan?
I can have all that with a given amount of turns.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2014, 01:04:43 pm »

((It's not your fault, I'm just annoyed with myself for waiting.  It's not really surprising we both came up with the same basic idea.

And it's not really that similar.  You're building a rocket launcher style thing, whereas I'm building a short ranged grenade launcher that can be used to set traps.  Mine is more oriented for CQB.))

You know, I've had the same thing: you get an idea, but you're on mission or something so no way to tinker it, then someone else mentions the concept and there goes your shot at originality. And good luck trying to prove you came up with it first if you didn't explicitly mention it.

yeah, as I noted in the description the concept is usable for other stuff depending on minimal size of automanip and computers and such. I used the rocket launcher as an anti-battlesuit example (and also cause I assumed the minimal size of shell needed would be too large for something grenade-like. If not, grenade launcher would be easier to handle).

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2014, 02:23:28 pm »

Spoiler: SodTalk (click to show/hide)

@Piecewise!

This might be overstepping some bounds, but can I get a weight estimate for a cutting laser?  I thought it was closer to an M2 HMG (~80 pounds), but it only requires a str of five to wield effectively, so I'm not sure.

Also, how advanced is generator miniaturization tech in ER?  I'd think it's pretty good, considering generators that can power lasers are light, but that might just be magic efficient lasers.   Could you get a 200 Horsepower nuclear generator that weighs twenty pounds?  Sixty?  A hundred?  Two hundred?

((Damn it GWG, how did you convince me this thing is a good idea by arguing against it?))

It weighs less then a gauss cannon, so probably like 60 pounds.

I'm not sure about horse power. Isn't horsepower a measure of mechanical work while generators are usually rated on how much power they generate rather then the strength with which they can turn a gear or a shaft or something?

To Virtual Reality, all participants in a single Tinker session, set to record and automatically download the file for later review.

Set up my own project, with fusion fuel (call it Helium-3, just to be anuetronic, but any combination of gaseous fuels works, and enough to reach 1 kiloton TNT equivalent) held within a cylinder of lithium, which in turn is surrounded with the components for creating a closed magnetic field, creating z-pinch magnetic field, and a radio antenna set to excite the fuel within the lithium. Wrap the whole thing up in a case, with a generator and circuitry for the two fields and antenna at one end of the cylinder, as well as a remote trigger for activating the detonation sequence.

Detonation sequence is as follows: The closed magnetic field is generated, the radio antenna excites the fuel into plasma, directly after which the magnetic field's polarity is reversed, containing the new plasmoid. The Z-Pinch field activates, crushing the lithium cylinder around the plasmoid, igniting fusion.

Test this away from the others. Far away.

Feyri, I explained the objective in the briefing room: Create a unique conventional weapon to kill or disable a Battlesuit, or at the very least, destroy a sufficient portion of its armor. You may not spawn complete weapons from the conventional category that are at or above the price of a cutting laser, but you may spawn their parts.

Set up my own project, with fusion fuel (call it Helium-3, just to be anuetronic, but any combination of gaseous fuels works, and enough to reach 1 kiloton TNT equivalent) held within a cylinder of lithium, which in turn is surrounded with the components for creating a closed magnetic field, creating z-pinch magnetic field, and a radio antenna set to excite the fuel within the lithium. Wrap the whole thing up in a case, with a generator and circuitry for the two fields and antenna at one end of the cylinder, as well as a remote trigger for activating the detonation sequence.

Detonation sequence is as follows: The closed magnetic field is generated, the radio antenna excites the fuel into plasma, directly after which the magnetic field's polarity is reversed, containing the new plasmoid. The Z-Pinch field activates, crushing the lithium cylinder around the plasmoid, igniting fusion.

Test this away from the others. Far away.

Feyri, I explained the objective in the briefing room: Create a unique conventional weapon to kill or disable a Battlesuit, or at the very least, destroy a sufficient portion of its armor. You may not spawn complete weapons from the conventional category that are at or above the price of a cutting laser, but you may spawn their parts.

Now, I'm just a simple country Hyper-chicken, but something about this seems odd to me. My background is more in chemistry then physics but wouldn't exciting a gas to the point of being a plasma using radiowaves need a fairly large amount of energy? I mean, radio waves are pretty low energy things, are they not? I mean, I (mostly) understand the mechanics here, but actually getting these things to function like you propose seems like it will need a shit ton of energy.

"R    right. Unique. Weapon. Conventional.

"I'm receiving you perf f ectly."

Great. Now I should create something new. What benefits can I give that have failed before?
Oh yes, let's put solar implants in guns and let them fire a direct stream of converted energy due to the exposure! That'll work!
Or let's modify the network of conduction so that a tesla sabre would be able to increase its output without damaging the origin.

"...I'll just be here then. Working. In my private space."

Designate a closed connection in the Tinker. Work there...

Everyone stay away from Feyri's private areas.  She's working with them.

What exactly do you want to work on?

Anton appears in VR with a slightly bored expression on his face.

"I suppose I could just use that fusion missile I designed, but I think that for fairness' sake, I'll go ahead and make a new weapon anyway. Well, something of a same weapon, but in a different form factor. That alright, XO?"

Design a missile warhead based off the kinamp sandwich:
"Hammerhead" sub-nuclear offensive warhead
Form-factor: 65x980mm spin-stabilized missile
Propellant: Standard self-oxidizing solid fuel mix
Payload: 200 grams Aster-Ex, 2x kinetic amp ("kinamp sandwich" setup) as initiator.
  Choice of: direct impact plate, 1500 grams shaped tungsten carbide pellet filler, or 1800 grams depleted uranium shaped penetration slug, as contact medium.
Detonator: Choice of impact fuse, proximity fuse, and/or command detonator.

Operation: Missile self-stabilizes following launch using deflected exhaust gases to impart spin. 500 milliseconds after leaving the launcher, the missile is armed. Upon receiving detonation signal, the 200 grams of Aster-Ex explosive detonates, pushing the contact plate of the kinamp-sandwich initiator forward, crushing the mineral foam padding within the sandwich, and imparting the force of the explosion and the momentum of the missile into the first kinetic amplifier. The force is amplified, and transferred into the second kinetic amplifier, where it is amplified once more, and transferred into contact medium. The magnitude of the forces involved releases a significant amount of energy in all directions - shooter is advised to take cover if at less than medium range.

If equipped with direct contact plate, warhead transfers all energy directly into target, imparting significant momentum to outer layers of its surface, potentially causing massive damage, but limited by the composition of the surface struck.

If equipped with depleted uranium penetrator, warhead transfers energy into the penetrator, partially melting it and imparting it a velocity in excess of 2000 meters per second, ensuring massive armor-penetrating damage regardless of target composition.

If equipped with tungsten carbide pellet filler, warhead creates a cloud of superheated metalloid debris moving forward in a 60 degree cone at speeds in excess of 2000 meters per second, ensuring a wide area of effect and massive damage to soft targets, regardless of their thermal protection.

Primary advantage: Unlike conventional explosive and nuclear weapons, leaves the shooter in far less danger than the enemy due to the directed nature of the resulting explosion.

Disadvantage: High cost... what else? Token costs of approx. 10 per missile, production costs unknown.

Make a simple four-tube shoulder-fired missile launcher for Hammerhead missiles. Load four Hammerheads with depleted uranium penetrators. Spawn a Battlesuit some 200m away. Commence testing.

This would work, though I'm not sure about the penetrators. The force would probably just shatter the thing into high speed shrapnel. So it would be more a shotgun then a spike. Still, it would probably punch through most armor.

Engage tinker mode: MEDICAL EDITION!

Project 1: Pressure Tent improvements

Ver A: Reusable variant, with assorted mechanisms to deflate and repack the tent for reuse.

Ver B: Armored variant, resistant to small arms fire.

Ver C: Supplied variant, has medical supplies, tools, and delicious snacks cleverly packed inside of it, ready for easy access after inflation.

Ver D: ALL OF THE ABOVE! If all of the above not possible, as many as possible.
Interested in price (in tokens) and feasibility :P

A: doable. Bigger and more bulky though, since you'll need to re-compress the atmosphere and and such.
b: doable. Again, heavier and more bulky.
c. Very doable but kinda meaningless.
D. Doable. Just even bigger and bulkier too. Could strap it to flint and just have him carry it.

Ooh, can I play ball to?
and you can only use parts from cutting lasers and above, and not the full weapon.
Just to be clear: nothing but stuff from the regular armory listing? Cause that severely limits options (both your and Sean's designs wouldn't be applicable, for example). I went with nonstandard stuff for these, though feel free to ignore them completely.

(since I'm not actually in the running, I'll just give short concept descriptions of these instead of fully fleshed out designs.)

Spoiler: automanip launcher (click to show/hide)

For both of these: if projectile cannot be made small enough to be effective, use mobile missile platform (threaded vehicle with radio, basically) and give troopers some way of designating what target they want hit.

Details like exact size, what to use as (self-oxidizing) fuel and related stuff can be worked out later on, once PW confirms concept is possible.

@ PW: just as a concept, would any of these be impossible in ER?

Neither are impossible, but that chemical charge might be hard to get balanced perfectly. And I doubt you can make that missile really reusable. Even if it is in theory I doubt many will survive to be reused.

((Oh god.  Did you really have to show Saint the VR machines?  There goes any hope of roleplaying for the next couple weeks, I suppose.  ;p))

When Simus finishes describing her assignment, Saint draws in a breath as if to speak, but he stays silent.  Saint then follows the group to the VR machines, and gets in one after watching a few others go through the process.

Once inside, he spends his first few minutes simply watching the other participants.  However, before long he walks a distance away and sets up a self contained box with a battlesuit inside.  He spends several minutes examining the machine inside and out, and when that isn't enough, he checks what it was designed to fight, and how well it worked.  Finally, he decides to spawn three self contained arenas.  Each one has a standard UWM battlesuit fighting an enemy who has had time to equip and prepare themselves to fight one.  The first arena has Altered, the second has UWM infantry, and the last has whatever the most effective rebel group that fought the UWM was.  Saint pays close attention to how these forces defeat a battlesuit, or even if they're capable.

Finally, Saint pulls up the armory and spawns friendly UWM troopers equipped with the various lower tier weapons, and simply directs them to fire at dummy battlesuits.  Only after watching for awhile does he launch into the actual design process.

((Useless RP stuff at the beginning of the post is because Simus said this was testing how people work.  So, I showed how Saint would work through the problem.  Of course, I already know most of the stuff, so only a little bit is bolded.

Welp, First, the altered being used here are the more limited ones from the battle of hexbarax sim.

So UWM military basically uses Piezoelectric shard launchers or plasma weaponry. And they seem to just shoot it a lot. Plasma melts through just about anything so it works, and the shards are sharp enough to embed themselves before exploding.

Altered...well they just swarm the other fucker and tear it open with brute force to get at the human inside.

The last, rebels from the Red Moon Rebellion. They tend to seem to use distraction and then jamming joints or spraying paint over cameras. Then they try to get it open but it just detonates it's claymores and...well yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2014, 02:40:55 pm »

Posted for the ease of people.
This one is for you, piecewise:
At the moment, I have two ideas:
1. A nuclear explosive thingy small enough to be used as a bullet or other such projectile (likely a larger-caliber one), for when normal explosive rounds just aren't enough.
2. Synthflesh/Normalflesh hybrids. I have some ideas, but first I need to make sure this is possible and sane.
-snip-
Enter Ms. Simus's VR Session
"Miss Simus, do we have a budget or something like that? Do we have restrictions on what we can make it be?"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2014, 03:12:35 pm »

Hrm.  One horsepower = 3/4 of a kilowatt, so 200 HP would be 150 kW.  But I feel like you want to avoid giving definite levels of energy, so I'll just say that from some quick googling it looks like a modern high-performance 200 HP engine would weigh a little under three hundred pounds.  Is ER tech advanced enough to make a forty pound nuclear generator with similar or greater power output?  If so, how fast would it charge a cutting laser's battery, assuming you had a rechargable battery?

Next question, how effective is the cutting laser at range?  Test against a battlesuit at 100m, 500m, 1000m, 2000, and 3000m.

Lastly, you missed the actual bit of tinker in my post:

I am so sorry.

Edit:  If I'm allowed to, use that +/-2 dynamic AUX bonus I was charging to write a virus that can infect a computer through a text message.  Nothing particularly malicious, just a virus which allows me to remotely access whatever's infected.  Focus on making it hard to detect.  Save the virus on my wristpad for future use.

If I'm not allowed to do this, just let the dynamic bonus float away like wisps of smoke drifting above the fires of a burning school.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2014, 03:15:38 pm »

I should probably get to work on an idea. Let's see...

How do automanipulators work, again?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2014, 03:19:49 pm »

The intent with the penetrator is the same as a HEAP round. Shape the penetrator in such a way that the kinetic/explosive force applied results in most of the mass going forward as a directed armor-penetrating spike, even if it means the mass deforming, melting, and otherwise doing very bad things to itself. Make the penetrator like a double-helix spring tapering to a point, for instance. The pressure and destruction wave will travel in such a way that the outer layers, at the base of the spring, would fly forward with the most force, and funnel the rest of the penetrator into a single direction as it disintegrates in their wake. The double-helix spring shape will mean that the mass of the penetrator will have an infinitesimal amount more time to react to the force applied, so that it doesn't all shatter in one go. That sort of thing.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »

IS THE WRIST MOUNTED GRAPPLING HOOK MOTORIZED? CAN IT LIFT 300 POUNDS FAST? WHERE IS THE MOTOR LOCATED? HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

Also, I will try to make a kinetic amplified axe.
Spoiler:  Diagram. (click to show/hide)
The kinetic amp is stuck to one wall of a sealed chamber inside the axe. When swung, the kinetic amp will activate and push all the air in the chamber to one side, creating a powerful pneumatic effect. Kinetic amps have no equal and opposite reaction, so this will propel the axe forward with a lot of force.
Add a button on the handle of the axe. When pressed down, it will activate the kinetic amp. When released, it will turn the amp off.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 04:08:29 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2014, 03:47:00 pm »

OY!

How do automanips work? I need some help before I can start with Grate's design.
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2014, 03:51:06 pm »

I should probably get to work on an idea. Let's see...

How do automanipulators work, again?
A black box that can do a single thing when activated. They can be used for things such as shields or manipulator countermeasures. Very expensive, limited uses.

EDIT: @NAV: I think that will just explode.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:53:10 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 127