Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216152 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: TINKER
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2014, 04:46:07 pm »

See edit. The problem is the force is applied instantly, pulverizing your legs. You'd need some sort of shock absorbers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2014, 04:59:43 pm »

((I'd guessed something like that might happen, but first I wanted to see what level it would take to break stuff. Dunno why. I guess I just like having a good mental picture of what this stuff does.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2014, 05:37:24 pm »

The kinetic amp boots already exist. They are proven to work. I would find them for you if the search was working.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2014, 05:58:56 pm »

((A more efficient, cheaper, more powerful laser that can be broken down into the primary parts of 3 laser rifles  (one with a sniper scope) also It would be 3 laser rifles trained on one spot (if the power gain is linear)))

Hmm. So excuse my possible lack of comprehension here.

Basically, you want to take three laser rifles apart and then stick them together into a single rifle with the beams all being focused through one lens to make a beam that is 3 times as powerful as an average laser rifle?

Which automanip is lighter-sized? The beam-hydrogenizing one? What makes the automanips need to be bigger (ie, is it just complexity or does increasing AoE/magnitude make it bigger too?), and how much? Can you think of a better word for this than "hydrogenizing"?

Put the automanip in a pistol grip. Make sure not to put it in backwards or anything stupid like that. Add a laser sight (you don't want to be missing with this) and a trigger. Change the cylindrical beam from 20 cm wide to 2 cm wide, and make it start right in front of the "barrel" (the other end is still 20 meters away). Fire this at a battlesuit. Observe results.

Can automanips be targeted by remote beacon thing? E.g, toss a beacon at someone, press a button, the automanip blows up the beacon?
What kind of armor is this, anyways? Materials? Structure?

And why is synthflesh so special if it's just organic? Or is that information above my security clearance? Would it be possible to infuse normal flesh with synthiness?
No, that one would be bigger. Harder job. Converting material is the most difficult thing to do.

Harder jobs, greater area of effect, greater degree of effect, they all increase size and price.

"Transmuting into hydrogen?"

Nuuuuh. Has to be a confined area. Beams have no end. It would just convert everything forever in that direction. Nuuuuh.

Nuuuuh. They only target in relation to themselves and always the same way.

Armor? What?

Nuuuuh. Yes. NUUUUUUH

Succinctly, yes. And it should work, in theory. I don't have very many concrete numbers, especially since I adapted the idea from a propulsion system. But I'm fairly sure the theory is good.

Anton, those are not up to me, it's Miyamoto you want for deciding on your fire extinguisher of a flying plasma cannon, as well as on your armed shuttles. And i'll see your side project when the others finish their task and I've decided whether they can stay. I already have some idea, but this is the finisher. And I'm sure you can ask Jim and Milno to come and see something if you want them to, just text them.

Oh, and that improved pure fusion bomb I talked with you about? I have it here. Fairly simple when it comes down to it, yes? This one is optimized to a 1 kiloton yield, but it can be scaled up and down - well, down to a point - by changing the thickness of the aluminium liner, see?

Alright. How much you think it would cost in Tokens? I assume you can guess with some degree of accuracy.

Hrm.  Can the overwatch project for now.  Still useful as anti-infantry, but not as nice as it was.

So:
Why would it have to hit the exact right spot?  I said to make the manip heat everything withing a three meter radius, and upgraded that to a four meter radius.  That should create a sphere of heat centered on the manip.  If it hits the battlesuit's foot, every part of the entire machine should be hit, because the manip isn't leaving holes.  In fact, if the pilot's head is seven feet up, it should be able to hit the ground four feet away and still catch his brain.

Maybe you're confused because I said radius?  If it has a four meter radius, it creates an eight meter wide sphere centered on the manip.

Not that you should aim at the ground, it's just that rolling a three should be sufficient, because that's a "near-miss".

Modify the design slightly.  Change the activation signal so that an MK suit can transmit it, like the mininukes in the armory.  Also, modify the projectile so that it has a little handle or something, for easy manipulation.

Re-run the sim with the corrected design, and tell the users of this thing that it can be used as a trap- hide the projectile at the entrance to an alley, then activate it when a battlesuit walks over.  Also, place seven users of my device rather than five, but remove the stealth equipment.

Yeah, I know, I wasn't saying it wouldn't work, and yeah, I understand you want it bigger but there are a lot of things in the design that can fail. You can miss, the glue can fail to stick and the guy will move outside the range. Quick thinking pilots can activate their claymores before they pass out, or just shoot the relatively slow moving missile out of the sky. It's not that it's an ineffective weapon, it's just not a fool proof battle suit killer.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2014, 06:09:24 pm »

Work in progress.

"Halberd"Rapid Battle Unit
Armour: Electro Reactive Armour
Height: Around 16 ft (how many meters is that?) tall for most configurations.
Weapons: 1 Coilgun or equivalent rapid fire weapon along with a choice of either a under barrel rocket launcher or a bayonet type weapon. 1 mech scale dagger or sword type weapon for melee. 2x shoulder blades as well. 1 optional wrist mounted shield made of battle suit plate.

Movement: Roller blade style system mounted on feet to allow for quick movement across most surfaces with ability to be stowed inside the feet to allow for movement on rougher surfaces such as a wreckage strewn fields or mountains.
Cargo: 1 Pilot and/or AI controlled.
Support: Auto repair kit.

Operation: This configuration is designed to rapidly engage enemy forces while being supported by other Halberds and other friendly units including infantry and air support. And if equipped with a under barrel rocket launcher, it can engage enemy armour units if it has to.

Advantages: Speed, adaptability and same basic parts used in all configuration.
Disadvantages: not as heavily armoured as units such as a battlesuit.

What do you think Piecewise, is there anything you think I should add or change?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2014, 06:15:04 pm »

No, that one would be bigger. Harder job. Converting material is the most difficult thing to do.
Wait, then which one was lighter-sized? And how big would the hydrogenizing one be?

A bit clunky, but it works I guess.

Nuuuuh. Has to be a confined area. Beams have no end. It would just convert everything forever in that direction. Nuuuuh.
Damn my poor word choice! It's supposed to end after 20 meters.

Darn.

Armor? What?
Oh, right, you can't be expected to remember what I was doing last time. You're busy.
I was asking what kind of armor the battlesuits we're supposed to be penetrating are.

Make an automanip that transmutes a 1-cm-wide, 20-meter-long cylinder in front of it into hydrogen. Determine how big it is, and if it could be made to fit in/as part of a pistol/rifle/whatever frame. If so, put a laser sight on it (again, not a weapon you want to miss with) and test it out on a guy in a battlesuit, to see how well it works. Estimate cost of setup.

In case this doesn't Because this probably won't work efficiently, also work on something else. Maybe some kind of armor-piercing nuclear bullet?
This would be a lot easier if my inquiry about the armor was understood...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2014, 10:35:08 pm »

Save project as open-source in Tinker.

Spoiler: SS/BEARD-9 (click to show/hide)

Send the schematics to Simus, along with the following message.

Quote from: From Steve Saint to Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis

I have completed your assigned project.  My device has proven to be four tokens cheaper than the piezoelectric shard generator, although combat simulations have shown it to be somewhat less effective as well.

Notably, it leaves the battlesuit mostly recoverable, and has the capacity to be used as a trap.  Frankly, the latter function is probably more useful than firing it- its primary reason for being conventionally launched is to fulfill your assignment's requirement.

((Normally, Saint would set up a demonstration of the device and give a run down on its capabilities in person, but I've been in the hospital for two weeks and just went through surgery so... not feeling it.  Sorry.))

Finally, relax and have the VR pull up information on the red moon rebellion.  Don't look for anything in particular, just let the VR show me stuff.  (Hint hint PW)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2014, 03:45:05 am »

((A more efficient, cheaper, more powerful laser that can be broken down into the primary parts of 3 laser rifles  (one with a sniper scope) also It would be 3 laser rifles trained on one spot (if the power gain is linear)))

Basically, you want to take three laser rifles apart and then stick them together into a single rifle with the beams all being focused through one lens to make a beam that is 3 times as powerful as an average laser rifle?

((Yes, although the output would be higher than simply three laser rifles I believe, as each beam is charged with the preceding ones it would have power over 1 second equal to 3 laser rifles  over a time period of the overall charge))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2014, 04:43:12 am »

((Yes, although the output would be higher than simply three laser rifles I believe, as each beam is charged with the preceding ones it would have power over 1 second equal to 3 laser rifles  over a time period of the overall charge))
((You won't get more power than 3 laser rifles, but you will be able to do more damage than 3 laser rifles, since you are delivering all the energy as a single beam. Not by much, however.

I have to say, the task is both too broadly defined and too difficult. There aren't that many ways to destroy a Battlesuit with any "weapon", and there is a very finite amount of ways to make a conventional weapon to do so. For instance, you can just get a megaton nuke - fair game since it's Aux - and build a giant potato gun to launch it. It'd be far more prudent to just tell everybody to build the most original combat-useful thing they can think of, because with no resource limits you can do any amount of stuff to the Battlesuit that is useless in any but the specific circumstances of the VR test.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2014, 10:01:22 am »

I'M IN TINKER AGAIN

WHY AM I IN TINKER AGAIN

Work in progress.

Weapons: 1 Coilgun or equivalent rapid fire weapon along with a choice of either a under barrel rocket launcher or a bayonet type weapon. 1 mech scale dagger or sword type weapon for melee. 2x shoulder blades as well. 1 optional wrist mounted shield made of battle suit plate.

Movement: Roller blade style system mounted on feet to allow for quick movement across most surfaces with ability to be stowed inside the feet to allow for movement on rougher surfaces such as a wreckage strewn fields or mountains.

Operation: This configuration is designed to rapidly engage enemy forces while being supported by other Halberds and other friendly units including infantry and air support. And if equipped with a under barrel rocket launcher, it can engage enemy armour units if it has to.

What do you think Piecewise, is there anything you think I should add or change?
Look at you throwing around the Armor shrikes and Double edges like I don't have the box set of Blue gender on my shelf AT THIS VERY DAMN MOMENT.

So wha, you wanna make a double edge, but one that doesn't make you go kill crazy? Seems reasonable. Hell, they're one of the few mechs that are really sorta realistic in anime. Reasonable size, move quickly using wheels instead of running, etc.

Wait, then which one was lighter-sized? And how big would the hydrogenizing one be?

A bit clunky, but it works I guess.

Damn my poor word choice! It's supposed to end after 20 meters.

Darn.

Armor? What?
Oh, right, you can't be expected to remember what I was doing last time. You're busy.
I was asking what kind of armor the battlesuits we're supposed to be penetrating are.

Make an automanip that transmutes a 1-cm-wide, 20-meter-long cylinder in front of it into hydrogen. Determine how big it is, and if it could be made to fit in/as part of a pistol/rifle/whatever frame. If so, put a laser sight on it (again, not a weapon you want to miss with) and test it out on a guy in a battlesuit, to see how well it works. Estimate cost of setup.

In case this doesn't Because this probably won't work efficiently, also work on something else. Maybe some kind of armor-piercing nuclear bullet?
This would be a lot easier if my inquiry about the armor was understood...

Depends on how much you want to transmute.

20 meters long and 2 cm thick? You're gonna learn someday that it's not length that really matters, it's girth. So yeah Doing that....size of a brick. Would be effective though.

Oh. It's a composite of very hard metallic-ceramics laced with reflective fibers. Good against both solid and laser projectiles. Less good against plasma.

That setup is brick sized and works. You'd need to fire through something that actually, you know, is vital or its just gonna annoy the thing, but assuming you do it works.

Nuclear bullets are hard to make at sizes smaller then like a fist, at best.

Save project as open-source in Tinker.

Spoiler: SS/BEARD-9 (click to show/hide)

Send the schematics to Simus, along with the following message.

Quote from: From Steve Saint to Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis

I have completed your assigned project.  My device has proven to be four tokens cheaper than the piezoelectric shard generator, although combat simulations have shown it to be somewhat less effective as well.

Notably, it leaves the battlesuit mostly recoverable, and has the capacity to be used as a trap.  Frankly, the latter function is probably more useful than firing it- its primary reason for being conventionally launched is to fulfill your assignment's requirement.

((Normally, Saint would set up a demonstration of the device and give a run down on its capabilities in person, but I've been in the hospital for two weeks and just went through surgery so... not feeling it.  Sorry.))

Finally, relax and have the VR pull up information on the red moon rebellion.  Don't look for anything in particular, just let the VR show me stuff.  (Hint hint PW)

Oh god it's too early to do lore. Er. Fast version. Without artistry.

So there were these three moons of a gas giant right? They mined shit there, mostly. Oh and the moons were red. Go fucking figure right?  Anyways, they mined lots of shit there. Lots of civie workers, big complex of homes and facilities stacked like a tin beehive. And the UWM were being kinda dicks to them, undercutting their prices and forcing discounts and generally making it hard to live under the excuse of security reasons. Treating them like second class citizens too.  So the miners protested and the UWM did what it usually does to protestors, which involves guns NOT filled with less then lethal ammo. Massacre of Hellion Heights happens, peaceful resistance goes violent, rebellion spreads to other two planets, big fucking thing. UWM comes enmasse, stomps the planets, basically arrests their entire population and then recrews the planets with prisoners from other worlds.  Bad time had by all.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2014, 11:19:21 am »

20 meters long and 2 cm thick? You're gonna learn someday that it's not length that really matters, it's girth. So yeah Doing that....size of a brick. Would be effective though.
Length is, however, useful if you don't want to close to melee range with whatever you're shooting at.

Oh. It's a composite of very hard metallic-ceramics laced with reflective fibers. Good against both solid and laser projectiles. Less good against plasma.
Hm. I really wish I knew more about ceramics.
Why is plasma more effective? Is it the heat?
Sig

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2014, 01:11:38 pm »

I'M IN TINKER AGAIN

WHY AM I IN TINKER AGAIN

Work in progress.

Look at you throwing around the Armor shrikes and Double edges like I don't have the box set of Blue gender on my shelf AT THIS VERY DAMN MOMENT.

So wha, you wanna make a double edge, but one that doesn't make you go kill crazy? Seems reasonable. Hell, they're one of the few mechs that are really sorta realistic in anime. Reasonable size, move quickly using wheels instead of running, etc.

How many tokens would it cost with the normal weapons? And how much would each weapon or option like the double blades cost if the characters decided to change the weapons? And how much would something more like the Armour shrikes before the Double Edge appeared?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:15:19 pm by Tavik Toth »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2014, 05:42:52 pm »

((Aww, I was hoping for some quality PW storytelling.  Oh well.))

Bleh.  If PW feels like storytelling/worldbuilding, have the VR find something interesting to show me.  Otherwise, pull up an MK suit suit and start charging a dynamic AUX bonus for looking at it.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2014, 02:18:14 am »

test triple laser thingy on battle suit and save as "triple-laser-thingy"
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2014, 01:24:15 pm »

Length is, however, useful if you don't want to close to melee range with whatever you're shooting at.

Hm. I really wish I knew more about ceramics.
Why is plasma more effective? Is it the heat?
Pretty much. The fibers will diffuse lasers and make them much less effective, but the plasma just freaking melts them and the armor.

I'M IN TINKER AGAIN

WHY AM I IN TINKER AGAIN

Work in progress.

How many tokens would it cost with the normal weapons? And how much would each weapon or option like the double blades cost if the characters decided to change the weapons? And how much would something more like the Armour shrikes before the Double Edge appeared?
Probably something like 15 tokens for the whole thing, with weapons and such. Because they're not terribly complex, kinda like a light battlesuit but with less options. Weapons, at least the normal guns, would all cost about the same. Think..5 tokens.

((Aww, I was hoping for some quality PW storytelling.  Oh well.))

Bleh.  If PW feels like storytelling/worldbuilding, have the VR find something interesting to show me.  Otherwise, pull up an MK suit suit and start charging a dynamic AUX bonus for looking at it.

Hmm. Well, interesting in what way? What kinda thing you wanna see? Otherwise I will ramble about completely unrelated crap.

test triple laser thingy on battle suit and save as "triple-laser-thingy"
Well, it's not gonna be triple powerful (more like 2.5 because of losses through the focusing mediums) but it does alright against battlesuits. Really though, battle suits are bad targets to try lasers against since even cutting lasers have a hard time with them.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 127