Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 215985 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER
« Reply #330 on: May 07, 2014, 11:07:35 am »

Im assuming that it would be similar to that... mithril? Plating one of the older characters invented.
You know, that near indestructible plate armor so cost ineffective you could buy an fullt customised avatar of war for the same price as it would take to armor your chestplate?
Vibranium was so rare that all the stuff on earth was enough for about one vibranium-alloy shield. Mithril isn't more common, at least not until electrolysis is figured out. (Tolkien originally based mithril on aluminum, IIRC.)
Silly GWG, mithril isnt a rare but naturally occuring element prized by short bearded fellows in a fantasy novel. Its an extremely expensive and difficult to produce synthetic meta-material invented by an inmate aboard a prison ship in a science fiction forum game.
It wasn't invented by an inmate, as far as I remember. Some spaceships are coated with the stuff. Someone just asked about it before to one of the scientists at their kiosk.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #331 on: May 07, 2014, 11:29:36 am »

Mixing a tiny amount of mythril in MK3 armour cost 10 tokens: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108083.msg3988000;topicseen#msg3988000
Full mythril is 30 tokens a plate: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108083.msg3987331#msg3987331
Search the on ship thread for Mythril. Make sure you search for Mythril with Y.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 07, 2014, 11:37:27 am »

Im assuming that it would be similar to that... mithril? Plating one of the older characters invented.
You know, that near indestructible plate armor so cost ineffective you could buy an fullt customised avatar of war for the same price as it would take to armor your chestplate?
Vibranium was so rare that all the stuff on earth was enough for about one vibranium-alloy shield. Mithril isn't more common, at least not until electrolysis is figured out. (Tolkien originally based mithril on aluminum, IIRC.)
There was enough to make a shield out of the stuff? That's not very rare compared to some RL metals.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 07, 2014, 11:41:15 am »

Mixing a tiny amount of mythril in MK3 armour cost 10 tokens: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108083.msg3988000;topicseen#msg3988000
Full mythril is 30 tokens a plate: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108083.msg3987331#msg3987331
I stand corrected, it was invented by the science section.

In any case my point was that i was asking about super expensive meta-materials that mimic the properties of such mythical metals, not the mythical metals themselves. Because yay for science.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 07, 2014, 11:58:43 am »

News to me.

There was enough to make a shield out of the stuff? That's not very rare compared to some RL metals.
It's quite rare compared to pretty much every material that exists outside a laboratory environment.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 07, 2014, 11:59:56 am »

Francium has 14 naturally occurring atoms on the planet.
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 07, 2014, 12:03:53 pm »

"20-30 grams" times 223 grams per mole times 6.022E23 atoms per mole equals 5.17e22 to 7.75e22 atoms on Earth at any given time. And the shield in question isn't pure vibranium.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 07, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »

That's more than 14 atoms. Either that or Captain 'merica's shield is so little vibranium it makes no difference.
Sig! Onol

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 07, 2014, 12:38:32 pm »

I wonder who counted them all?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 07, 2014, 12:41:06 pm »

I did. Took ages, sorting through all those atoms by hand.

And then I had to do it all over again cause an intern spilled coffee over my reports.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 07, 2014, 12:44:29 pm »

Hell if I know. Who has time to document random things you read in a thing somewhere at some point that may or may not be true? :P
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2014, 02:14:54 pm »

I was giving you the choice out of gameplay reasons, since it would probably be endothermic.
I know it was for gameplay stuff, but I'm trying to get at least a semblance of believable chem for this.
Why do you think it should be endothermic, by the way? Any particular reason? Or just because you decided it should be condensation polymerization?

You could try to counteract it with another reaction, but thats gonna really slow down the reaction due to the temp difference retarding the reaction and the mixing making it harder for the chemicals to "Meet" each other in the fluid, if that makes sense.

If it's an endothermic reaction, then supplying heat should speed up the process, no? Why would the temp difference slow down the reaction?
How about this: we make it a condensation polymerization that gives of a bit of gaseous by-product (to help with the foaming).
Monomers are in solution A. In solution B, we add a chemical which reacts with something in A, this is exothermic. Thereby, if the concentrations are chosen good enough, once you mix A and B it'll take a short time before the exothermic reaction supplies enough heat for the endothermic polymerization to get going fast (so it doesn't start 'foaming' and expanding too fast). It doesn't really matter you need to mix them first, since heat is transferred relatively quickly, so once the initial mixing gives some heat and gets the initial crosslinking going, there will be equilibrium between the linking and expanding foam, and the exothermic 'jump-starter'. After jump-starting the linking, the secondary exothermic reaction (which will occur slower, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue) keeps the polymerization going, and keeps the temp of the whole thing at non-damaging levels.

If you really think it should have that high/low temp downside for gameplay reasons though, just say so, so we don't waste time on something you wouldn't allow anyway.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:16:55 pm by Radio Controlled »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2014, 02:35:44 pm »

That's more than 14 atoms. Either that or Captain 'merica's shield is so little vibranium it makes no difference.
I don't know what to say about that first part. Yes, it is. Your research is Brownian in accuracy.
Obviously Cap's shield has a significant amount of vibranium in it.

The Xantalos Department of Making Up Numbers?
As to how they actually figured it out, Francium is naturally formed only by radioactive decay. Figure out how much of the uranium ores containing francium there is and how fast they turn into Francium, then how long it takes them to turn into whatever they turn into.
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 07, 2014, 02:37:34 pm »

Yes.

Fun fact, tinnitus is great for concentration, especially while trying to figure out how to cook things. You should all try it.

No sarcasm here.
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2014, 12:59:08 pm »

Do person sized automanipulators use standard manipulator batteries?
Do ship sized automanipulators use some larger version of that battery?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 127