Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 214773 times)

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #525 on: May 29, 2014, 10:37:33 pm »

on the topic of really hot things, has anyone suggested / developed plasma weaponry yet?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 29, 2014, 10:42:00 pm »

on the topic of really hot things, has anyone suggested / developed plasma weaponry yet?
There's the plasma projector in the armoury. It shoots blobs of plasma. Don't think anyone's used it yet.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 29, 2014, 10:43:11 pm »

Really hot stick. Hit a battlesuit in the leg with it. Battlesuit can't move now.
Equally true of any stick, if you hit it in the right place.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 29, 2014, 10:44:05 pm »

1: Ignoring the thermodynamical impossibilities (and the stupidity of comparing pure water at STP to blood at blood pressure), the human body doesn't work that way. The blood, once you start heating it (the flesh you're burning/melting through is an insulator) would coagulate - every heard of cautery (though it would be happening in a wide area)? And as your 'blade' moves through, the coagulated blood will begin to burn just like the rest of the flesh. The only way to boil blood is to do it evenly and slowly, by raising core temperature.
2a: That you are (somewhat) correct about, U_P - if the interior of the tube is hot enough (and the tube itself has sufficient thermal conductive properties), then it can reheat itself faster than heat is taken - depending on what it's in contact with. If you were to press it against something that can cool itself faster than your 'blade' can reheat itself, it will cool.
2b: this is what GWG is right about - the dispersion of the laser only lowers the amount of energy impacting on that specific spot. The battlesuit is still absorbing the full energy of the beam, just not as concentrated - oh, and your heated 'blade' will still have a larger contact area than the somewhat-dispersed laser beam - and will have a much, much lower rate of transfer of energy (as it relies on thermal conduction rather than thermal radiation).
3: Is this really something we should be arguing about? Really? Other than the fact that if he sets the temperature up too much, it'll simply kill anyone in an area by being near them with it active?
4: Hard knowledge is critical to proper inventiveness - why do you think we teach engineers as much, if not more (since it's more varied and still as in-depth) science than scientists? I should know - I'm an engineering student, working towards a base of mechanical before specializing into nuclear.
5: PW does require a large degree of realism. And, realistically, as it stands - your design sucks. It could be improved a lot - but you don't really seem to care, preferring aesthetics. Also, if you ever want to have it, you not only have to pass the Armoury Master - you're probably going to have to pass me. Oh, and just so you know - hitting a target too hard with this would just bounce it or break it (or, if it's strong enough, the target's bones). Heat takes time.
6: This is all I'm going to say on the matter, unless U_P comes up with questions about it rather than just saying he's right and I'm not. GWG, I would advise you leave it too - you've already been muted a few times, let's not endanger more.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:49:16 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 29, 2014, 10:48:47 pm »

Really hot stick. Hit a battlesuit in the leg with it. Battlesuit can't move now.
But with a really hot stick you dont have to hit it as accurately or as hard to disable the joint.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 29, 2014, 10:53:16 pm »

Okay not arguing anymore but ill just say this because you called me an idiot and i cant let that stand, if you cant see the difference in application between a rudimentary lightsaber and a tiny dollop of molten metal when compared to burning through stuff then im sorry but you sir are completely retarded. Whether or not i have seen the video is irrelevant as you personally informed me of its contents.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 29, 2014, 10:55:40 pm »

But with a really hot stick you dont have to hit it as accurately or as hard to disable the joint.
Depends on how hot the stick is.

Okay not arguing anymore but ill just say this because you called me an idiot and i cant let that stand, if you cant see the difference in application between a rudimentary lightsaber and a tiny dollop of molten metal when compared to burning through stuff then im sorry but you sir are completely retarded. Whether or not i have seen the video is irrelevant as you personally informed me of its contents.
And you assumed that it was "a tiny dollop" which "couldn't eat through a stack of CDs". Which is not what I said.
And yes, it is relevant because you're trying to use the same physical property. You're just using it with a harder target and a lower heat differential, yet expecting vastly superior results.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 29, 2014, 11:28:14 pm »

No, im really not.

Dollop is tiny compared to a four foot tube.
Dollop applies no pressure on the melted material.
Dollop loses heat over time.
Dollop wastes heat heating already heated material.
Dollop sits on top of molten material and is greatly slowed in term of heating lower materuals.

Tube applies pressure to the target forcing molten material out of the hole.
Tube maintains its own temperature and can be increased if necessary.
Tube heats unheated material because already heated material is forced away by pressure of tube being pushed into hole.
Tube is always pushing against lowest material.

Shit is not the same.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 30, 2014, 01:16:00 am »

There's the plasma projector in the armoury. It shoots blobs of plasma. Don't think anyone's used it yet.
It was used in VR at least, and we did have a huge flying plasma cannon helping us in the Battle of Hephaestus.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 30, 2014, 02:02:24 am »

It was used in VR at least, and we did have a huge flying plasma cannon helping us in the Battle of Hephaestus.
I also tried converting my WWII flamethrower design to project plasma but it was just for fun and piecewise never ran the action.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 30, 2014, 07:46:51 am »

No, im really not.

Dollop is tiny compared to a four foot tube.
Dollop applies no pressure on the melted material.
Dollop loses heat over time.
Dollop wastes heat heating already heated material.
Dollop sits on top of molten material and is greatly slowed in term of heating lower materuals.
True but irrelevant.
Wrong. Just so wrong. Watch the bloody video or use your head.
True for both.
True for both.
You...kinda already covered this. It's not literally true for your tube, but you'd still be heating up molten material unless you incorporated some kind of slag-excavating device. And the molten material is seen in the video rising and covering the sphere, so it's not slowing the ball that much.

Tube applies pressure to the target forcing molten material out of the hole.
Tube maintains its own temperature and can be increased if necessary.
Tube heats unheated material because already heated material is forced away by pressure of tube being pushed into hole.
Tube is always pushing against lowest material.
Not much, if you don't want to break your tube. Also not much relevant.
Not particularly. Oh, sure, it helps a little. Maybe it'll partly compensate for the lower difference between the heat and the melting point or the general heat resistance of the battlesuit plate.
Nope, that doesn't actually affect it that much. See, the part behind the melty stuff? Still battlesuit plate. Besides, how much is pressure going to affect it? Let's say that somehow you manage to force all the material out. A lot of it is still going to be on some part of the blade. Oops. And it won't be that good, for the simple fact that shoving a plug into a hole isn't anywhere near the most efficient way to remove fluid from it.
No. It isn't.

Shit is not the same.
It's also governed by the same properties. Besides, the differences you cite don't change as much as you seem to think.
Maybe you should add nanotubes?
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #536 on: May 30, 2014, 12:12:36 pm »

Would healing someone with the Organo-tissue Dominator Psychokinetic Amplifier use Medical or Exotic?

Would it be possible for someone to rebuild someone else's body with it or would that be bordering the Overload danger area?

EDIT: What's the most one can do with a manipulator like that? Create a plant? Create a mouse? Create a goat? Create a sod? Create a human? Create a giant human?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:29:41 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 30, 2014, 12:33:47 pm »

As in just their brains or the whole thing?
Just what is needed to make them run, yes. Stuff like memory banks and such, the 'internal hardware'. The 'external hardware' (like weapons and stuff) we can deal with later.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:35:24 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 31, 2014, 12:26:27 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what are the specs on one of these "double edge" armor shrikes?

How tall are they? How do those back blades work? How much would a small A.S. strike team affect the difficulty slider?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 31, 2014, 12:43:19 pm »

I'm more interested in a team of Arm Slaves, personally. Lambda Driver optional, but preferred.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 127