Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216006 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1665 on: December 31, 2015, 06:32:35 pm »

Spoiler: pimpknuckles (click to show/hide)

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 31, 2015, 08:28:00 pm »

Yes it is, pw has said so, but then how does the device differentiate between 'I am moving away from x' and 'x is moving toward me'?
Kinda like missiles I guess, kinda like this?

Hah, that was unreasonably hilarious.

For the record, the very first two results already give some interesting potential results, in case people are wondering why I'm bothering with all this. For example, we know that if we fall down the pit, and hit reset, we go back up. Now imagine that instead of falling, you were standing inside a shuttle that flew down the pit so that your body has about the same trajectory as it had during the falling of the first scenario. It follows that, if you hit reset inside the shuttle, you will be teleported outside the shuttle up to that bridge (assuming the shuttle isn't so small it is teleported along with you, which is probably since the reset area isn't that large). Ergo, using the reset in a moving shuttle will teleport you outside the shuttle (and presumably to you splatting against the ground some time later). Thus, you can't safely use the reset while inside any moving vehicle.
Or on a moving planet?  I mean...There kind of is this thing where planets move...

Anywho, do the wristpads and such already have things like games on?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: January 01, 2016, 12:18:45 am »

People have programmed games for them before. Mk suit helmets had Tetris, took a Willpower roll to stop playing, back in the old system at least.

((Since Heph is dead, I'll post here.)) Charles asks for what he's meant to be doing now that the UWM has effectively collapsed. Figure out a way to recruit its remnants? Consolidate loyalty?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: January 01, 2016, 03:13:09 am »

Figure out a way to recruit its remnants?
+1 Let the new empire rise from ashes of old one, which is essentially same guys, just with different name.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1669 on: January 01, 2016, 11:09:47 am »

Ah, I see. So can we keep the gunship option as a 'maybe' then, should the situation ever come up?

The bullet returns to the gun, you stay where you are. The location that matters is where the reset is at that time.

Likewise, you end up back on the bridge, because thats where the reset thing was 5 seconds ago.

But before you said the 5sec reset uses itself as frame of reference. But from that frame, a bullet speeding away or a piece of bridge suddenly falling sideways and upward (as seen from the reset's point of view) is equivalent, no? How does it know to bring back the bullet in the first case, but the person (and not the piece of metal in the bridge) in the second?

A different example: say you are floating in zero gravity. How does the resett see the difference between 'a bullet moving away' and 'you moving backward while a bullet comes out of the gun and stays stationary'? After all, both 'bullet moves, you stay still' and 'you move, bullet stays still' are equivalent frames of reference on their own. So if the 5sec reset uses itself as reference frame, how does it differentiate between 'bullet moves' and 'person moves' if it doesn't use some sort of outside frame of reference?

To put it in another way: the earth spins around the sun at about 30 kilometers per second. So if the reset takes you back to 'where you were', shouldn't it teleport you 5*30=150 kilometers away, to the exact location your body was in terms of some 'galactic coordinates'?   

Yeah

It does use itself as reference. It knows that it used to be up there on the bridge 5 seconds ago. So it puts itself back where it was.

Don't make me get todd howard in here.

Spoiler: pimpknuckles (click to show/hide)

Looks good, but get an exact list of the things the preprogrammed knuckles can make.

Yes it is, pw has said so, but then how does the device differentiate between 'I am moving away from x' and 'x is moving toward me'?
Kinda like missiles I guess, kinda like this?

Hah, that was unreasonably hilarious.

For the record, the very first two results already give some interesting potential results, in case people are wondering why I'm bothering with all this. For example, we know that if we fall down the pit, and hit reset, we go back up. Now imagine that instead of falling, you were standing inside a shuttle that flew down the pit so that your body has about the same trajectory as it had during the falling of the first scenario. It follows that, if you hit reset inside the shuttle, you will be teleported outside the shuttle up to that bridge (assuming the shuttle isn't so small it is teleported along with you, which is probably since the reset area isn't that large). Ergo, using the reset in a moving shuttle will teleport you outside the shuttle (and presumably to you splatting against the ground some time later). Thus, you can't safely use the reset while inside any moving vehicle.
Or on a moving planet?  I mean...There kind of is this thing where planets move...

Anywho, do the wristpads and such already have things like games on?
yes

People have programmed games for them before. Mk suit helmets had Tetris, took a Willpower roll to stop playing, back in the old system at least.

((Since Heph is dead, I'll post here.)) Charles asks for what he's meant to be doing now that the UWM has effectively collapsed. Figure out a way to recruit its remnants? Consolidate loyalty?
Well, you could think of ways to do that.

Or you could just go poke the other universes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: January 01, 2016, 11:29:30 am »

5-second reset:
Okay, but how does it determine the reference frame for 'where it was'?  Because if that's absolute coordinates the thing's pretty useless.  You would only really be able to use it in a motionless or near-motionless frame of reference, which is not most planets.  Or ships.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: January 01, 2016, 11:38:36 am »

If it knows that, then it is explicitly not using itself as a frame of reference, it has to use an outside one. How does it know that it was the person holding the reset that did the moving, instead of the environment (or a particular object in it) doing the moving? It can only know that if it uses some sort of outside viewpoint to determine the difference between 'reset moves towards object x, which is standing still' and 'x moves towards the reset, which is standing still.

To re-ask the last question: why doesn't it teleport you into space or into the ground if you use the reset while on a planet (which is moving around the local star at a significant speed)?

And in this case:
is this correct, that using it in a moving shuttle will teleport you outside of it?

And as I mentioned, if you wanna say 'it just works as I need it to, it doesn't follow any strict rules' then that's fine, but just say so. Cause now you're claiming it works like x, but every other example here is evidence it simply cannot work like that. And not even in an "this couldn't work in the real world" but in a more basic "it isn't internally consistent, so a player cannot know what should happen upon using it". As said, this isn't meant to trap you or prove the system sucks, but to figure out where we stand in regards to using the thing. If the outcome is 'just ask pw whenever you wanna use it but aren't sure what ought to happen', that's fine by me. Hell, even if not knowing for sure what will happen when you press the button and not being allowed to ask for clarification is what you wanna go for, that's fine. Could be an interesting gameplay mechanic even, where pressing the button can save your life or make things infinitely worse when the wrong things happen.

Or, of course, it does work, but then I'm just not getting it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:57:00 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1672 on: January 01, 2016, 02:33:49 pm »

What if the 5 second rest merely chooses the last good greater most local frame of reference, making a recording of itself in that frame of reference for each instant and storing it in a limited storage space? It's an exotic tool, so it's not unlikely for it to have an AI or other entity inside capable of making such calculations. I bet one could make a program to do that job using current technology computers with the appropriate sensors. A machine doesn't have to operate under simple rules. It doesn't have to use only one game of reference.

So, if you're in a shuttle, then it chooses the shuttle. If you're on a planet, then it chooses the planet. If you remove the 5-second reset and give it to someone else within 5 seconds, then it uses the two users as a frame of reference.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:35:33 pm by Parisbre56 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: January 02, 2016, 12:36:01 am »

Spoiler: Exact List (click to show/hide)
Does anyone have any other ideas to include?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: January 02, 2016, 12:41:10 am »

A drill like the power tool, as opposed to what I presume is more like a mining drill.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1675 on: January 02, 2016, 08:44:57 am »

Spoiler: Exact List (click to show/hide)
Does anyone have any other ideas to include?

Hmm... I propose we rename it to the Swiss Army Pimpknuckle.

It would also be an ideal tool for on-the-fly repairing of stuff.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: January 02, 2016, 12:23:20 pm »

@Egan:
Good suggestion. Thanks.

@Dutrius:
There is already a near infinite shapeshifting multitool in the armoury for two tokens, so I don't want to clutter the pimpknuckle with too much stuff since it requires listing every single form.

Good name though, and some good ideas.

Spoiler: Changes (click to show/hide)

Piecewise, can players download or program new forms into their pimpknuckles after the buy it?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1677 on: January 02, 2016, 12:47:34 pm »

Syringe?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: January 02, 2016, 02:14:30 pm »

YOURS IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: January 02, 2016, 04:07:04 pm »

Spoiler: A few more things (click to show/hide)
Well that makes 25. I hope it's not too much.

Spoiler: full list (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 127