Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 214758 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1710 on: January 15, 2016, 04:07:30 pm »

How fast would one need to drop and reform a solid-light object to have floating objects?
Pretty damn fast.

10 Feet? Yeah, that sounds alright, it'll pro'lly look like a simple rectangle, 'bout the size of both fists put together, has a timer and remote detonator, would it be possible to direct the weevils, though? Or are they just going to chew in any direction they feel like?

Directionality is...difficult. I mean we could release them all in one direction but they're gonna move however they feel like so while you'll probably have the majority of them heading off in the right direction, some might double back.

Great, then we can mark that one down as a victory and be done with it. I'll go change it.

Fakedit: and it seems paris already did my work for me. Coolio, thanks paris.

Pw, any new poll you would like to see on the wiki? Anything you're curious about or would like to ask the players about (and that isn't important enough to warrant a strawpoll)? Can be something silly.

Ok then. The very basic idea is to create a sort of 'autonomous colony building unit' combining our various (non origin) xenotech. It'd basically be a non-military application of various technologies we worked so hard to aquire over the years to create something that can build and expand infrastructure in a variety of new environments/universes without needing constant oversight.

Should I expand on the idea? I can already say it might turn out to be more of a background sort of thing, but I think it could be interesting nonetheless.
Hmm well give me a run down of the basics. how is it gonna be building things, providing the necessary amenities of life, power and the like.

Well, the idea is to use our various technologies we acquired over the years and bring them together into a coherent unit. Some of the main components would be:
-the organic computers, which we train/program beforehand to make sure they are good at coordinating construction and adapting to different environments and situations. These are the main controlling unit.
-Heabi biomass and a controlling brain, which given its high adaptability and wild variety of possible forms should be convenient for all sorts of tasks, from breaking down available nutrients to creating specific lifeforms for certain tasks (eg a digging worn to carve out tunnels, or a root system that spreads out unto the soil to search for water or minerals). The Heabi brain woud interface with the organic computers to ensure efforts are well coordinated.
-sharkmist: like Heabi, is very versatile, depending on the type of job this or the former would be used more or less. A big use would be in fabricating things to expand the colony with (eg use the nutrient sludge and minerals the Heabi root bring up and convert them to wall plates and hab units).
-Stevebots: we'd send a couple along to help with initial building (and maybe a few hunters for protection) as well as the database so that new robots tailored to the current needs can be built.
-a couple generators (can be in parts for stevebots to assemble or whole) to keep the initial operation running and a bunch of bluerad cells. This until a suitable local energy source is found, or more generators can be built.
-mapping drones and the like.
-optionally, a whole bunch of frozen embryo's. While initially we will send fes or no actual humans along with the colony unit, having a bunch of frozen embryos aboard to restart a breeding stock with will help ensure that, even if something gors catastrophicslly wrong and we all die, that humanity will have a chance to continue on, somewhere out there. Of course, these are only thawed and used if both the needed infrastructure is built, and no communications have been had for a long time (indicating shit went wrong).
-optionally, a machine for dimension hopping. A small one for sending small packages of info back (aka to stay in touch) or a bigger one that allows the colony unit to jump around.
-all this inside a ship if possible, so that the unit can redeploy to a better position once teleported. Maybe even make it so the ship folds open to establish the intial colony (depending on how much stuff can be teleported at once).

So, when one of these colony units is deployed somewhere, it will start putting up industry and building a colony livable to humans without needing constant oversight. How it goes about this depends on local circumstances and needs, which is why getting the control unit right will be very important (and to ensure eg the sharkmist bots don't start breaking down the Heabi lifeforms and vice versa in a wastefull cycle). And if a universe doesn't seem to work out well in the end for permanent habitation, then we could instruct the colony unit to instead start strip mining it for interesting materials we can then ship back to our new universe.

Gameplay wise, it would give interesting opportunities for small missions, such as a colony requesting assistance from a team to deal with some local wildlife problems, and would allow you to be really creative in colony design (after all, strange environments might warrant unorthodox methods). Such as a universe that's mostly densely gaseous, and where the main colony is a floating 'cloud city' where big Heabi barges with enormous membranous sails fly around to scope up materials and ferry them to the sharkmist fabbers inside their belly.

Thoughts?

((Sorry for wallness of post.))

Most of that is possible, though getting all those things to play nice together might be a little tricky; Though, the dimension  hopping thing is a no go. Extrauniverstal engines are...well it took the doctor several hundred years to figure out how to make it and they're very large. Not easy to mass produce.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 15, 2016, 04:11:48 pm »

Okay, but could it be done?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 15, 2016, 04:31:10 pm »

Most of that is possible, though getting all those things to play nice together might be a little tricky; Though, the dimension  hopping thing is a no go. Extrauniverstal engines are...well it took the doctor several hundred years to figure out how to make it and they're very large. Not easy to mass produce.
Yeah, scrap the universe hopping then. Figured those wouldn't be easy to get anyway.

And yes, I acknowledge getting these various technologies, what with their very different origins and characteristics, go mesh together is not a trivial task. Which is why I thought the adaptive organic computers might work well for this, since we could presumably keep evolving them till it works (though if something like a wetware ai would work better that's also fine of course).

How large a ship could we teleport, by the way, with the current machine? And could we build a bigger one?

Any more info you need? More details, plans on how to do the 'training' of the contol unit? What do you/Steve think of the plan itself, think it could work/provide game opportunities? Or shouldn't we bother working on it more?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:34:20 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1713 on: January 15, 2016, 04:38:17 pm »

Besides, since we have infinite universes, we can just keep shooting them out in any remotely livable universe, to have them there as fallback points, just in case. We don't care if even half of them fail. We only dedicate people and wetware AIs to the really good universes.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 15, 2016, 05:02:36 pm »

Sorry to add to your workload Piecewise, but I’ve been wanting to ask this question ever since I read the first mission.
Would it be possible to resurrect a crystal person using the crystalline projector and a unwilling test subject? You don't have to tell me if it is and please don't tell me how to do it. I'm fine with experimenting in or out of Tinker once I get done with my mission, but I thought that it might save both of us some work if I knew if what I was attempting was even possible in the game.
P.S. Please don't kill
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 15, 2016, 05:39:59 pm »

Now that I'm off mission it's time for tinker   ;D

Heavy Exoskeleton
-An upgraded exoskeleton that is the exact same strength as a synthflesh body.
-Bulkier than a standard exoskeleton, but should still let the wearer move freely indoors.

Because we need something to fill the gap left by synthflesh (at least strength tier wise). I'm mostly designing this as a base for the armoured version.

Heavy Armoured Exoskeleton
-Add armour to the Heavy Exoskeleton, a couple layers of battlesuit plate would probably be best.

Something to fill the niche of a mini assaultsuit, that provides lots of strength and protection but still lets the wearer move around freely indoors, and doesn't require getting your body chopped off. Fills basically the same niche as the old mining and industrial exosuits except modernized and militarized.

ARM longcoat
-Take Civic defenders longcoat. Add a layer of hexsand coating. Add a hood that fits over helmets.
-Maybe weave in some battlesuit plate fibers, for added laser defense and durability. I'm not sure if that would work.

Sharkplate is very nice. There is still a niche for ultralight cloth armour, either for black ops to disguise as civilian clothes, or to layer over sharkplate, or to protect the limbs of someone wearing flight milnoplate.

Gungnir Electrolaser kit MK2
-Replace the tesla sabre with a spark gap, same power but much cheaper because it doesn't need any automanips or lightning emitters. Make it so it can be added to any suitable laser instead of just a laser rifle. Remove the token to required to attach it to the gun.

Because the Gungnir is a good idea done wrong. This should fix that making it a cheap upgrade instead of a ridiculously expensive one.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:36:23 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 15, 2016, 05:56:04 pm »

Eh, the chance of them doubling back doesn't really bother me, it isn't really supposed to be something you stay next to while it goes off.
Would there be any other problems with it or is that about it?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 15, 2016, 06:52:40 pm »

Now that I'm off mission it's time for tinker   ;D

Heavy Exoskeleton
-An upgraded exoskeleton that is the exact same strength as a synthflesh body.
-Bulkier than a standard exoskeleton, but should still let the wearer move freely indoors.

Because we need something to fill the gap left by synthflesh (at least strength tier wise). I'm mostly designing this as a base for the armoured version.

Heavy Armoured Exoskeleton
-Add armour to the Heavy Exoskeleton, hex-composite is probably the best option.

Something to fill the niche of a mini assaultsuit, that provides lots of strength and protection but still lets the wearer move around freely indoors, and doesn't require getting your body chopped off. Fills basically the same niche as the old mining and industrial exosuits except modernized and militarized.

Note that our current exoskeleton is, in fact, ~twice as light/less bulky as the one we initially had (thanks to the 2x exoskeleton strength research sometime ago) - I'm not sure if synthflesh is more than or less than twice mightier than a regular exoskeleton, but note that it probably shouldn't be that bulky as you could imagine (or, as the expression of an industrial exosuit made).
Second, if you use hex composite (I presume you mean hexsand?..), please consider to add something against purely kinetic damage - hexsand is a bit fragile and is certainly not up to the standards of the battleplate, for example.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 15, 2016, 07:08:50 pm »

I think by hex-composite he means the combination armor that the asssult suits use.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 15, 2016, 07:14:22 pm »

Yes, thanks Unholy.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 16, 2016, 06:04:47 pm »

@Nav's Heavy armoured exoskeleton idea
Do note that anything I say is very possibly inaccurate, simply due to the randomness and luck inherent to Tinker.  PW almost certainly doesn't remember how hex composite works, so thinning it could actually work exceptionally well, if you're lucky.

That said, you're probably better off just using battlesuit plate instead of thinned hex composite.  Most weapons fall into one of two broad categories: weapons which have a hard time breaking one layer of BS plate, and weapons which can quickly break all five layers with ease.  There's exceptions, like the HEP, but most weapons fall into one or the other.  Hexcomp is made to take advantage of this, by using one layer of BS plate (becoming temporarily immune to the former category), and two layers which are nearly immune to either kinetics or energetics (becoming highly resistant to BS killer weapons, and completely immune if only kinetics or energetics are being used).

Thinning hexcomp would probably degrade this effect significantly, because you'll still die quickly to BS killers, but won't have nearly as much resistance to small arms as BS plate would grant.  You'll retain immunity to certain types of BS killers--anything laser, and anything shard--but stuff like energy projectors, plasma, and HGCs will still ruin you.

So using thinned hexcomp is much more of a tradeoff; You might have something like 50% better resistance against BS killers, compared to having just two layers of BS plate, but you're going to have significantly worse resistance to small arms.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 17, 2016, 01:00:08 am »

Thank you Syvarris. I'm changing the armour to battlesuit plating, definitely don't want to sacrifice small arms resistance.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 17, 2016, 01:19:09 am »

i wonder...

Can we replace the energy dissipating fibers inside battleplate with the energy devouring hexplate filaments to make some kind of super battleplate?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 17, 2016, 06:04:41 pm »

I need a cost and effectiveness for the following

-A mithril plate costs about 30 tokens, per armoury description. Can I get that fashioned into an armouring for the white mask, which only leaves a patch in the back of the mask exposed so as to be able to make contact to the body.
-Also, Add in some padding so that "the bullet hits the mythril, the armour is unharmed but the mask within is shattered" doesn't happen? If mythril even lets energy through, that is.
-Would it be possible to put some amoint of pimpcane metal on the back of the mask between the mask and the armour. So that it touches the mask but cannot just leak out? Enough material so that when possesed the mask can float at a reasonable speed.

Would this work?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:15:05 pm by Pancaek »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 21, 2016, 05:42:22 pm »

Since Pimp-metal (we really need a proper name for it, Pimpanium? Pimphral? Pimpantine?) can be programmed to an extent and can levitate itself to an extent, is it possible to make a preprogrammed mass of Pimp-metal that instead of shapeshifting, just imparts force on itself? Basically like an MkIII that trades speed for limitless flight time and thruster durability.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:50:46 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 127