Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 281970 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub!
« Reply #2205 on: November 27, 2014, 04:48:25 pm »

Seriously. Just let the GMs limit the number of performers (as many already have) and let the classes work as designed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: November 27, 2014, 05:17:43 pm »

Seems to me that if a GM needs to artificially limit how many of a class can be present before it becomes a balance issue, it already is a balance issue.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: November 27, 2014, 06:11:51 pm »

Seems to me that if a GM needs to artificially limit how many of a class can be present before it becomes a balance issue, it already is a balance issue.

I'm in agreement as well.

To me, there is a major issue when you have one unit that effectively can turn 2 units into an effective force of 4 units for a round, let alone 4 to 8. There is also an issue of an entire class of characters who don't use the base items that they've been given. Why do they even have instruments/dances/lyrics if they never get to use them because they are too busy performing?

Performers in this respect don't have to buy anything because their base abilities are already good enough. Which denies them meaningful progression. All other units in the game feel they are getting stronger due to their stats and weapons doing more for them, but by forcing Performers into this one niche, we prevent performers from making decisions.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: November 27, 2014, 06:19:54 pm »

@Blade: Not really. Ideally, a balanced party doesn't want a bunch of performers anyway. If you have seven performers, one healer, and one knight, then that's six performers who are nothing more than sacks of meat for enemies to hit. The performer already balances itself by making having performers redundant beyond two (they already can't perform each other, and no unit can take more than two turns a phase regardless), and if you have a house rule of just one then it's perfectly fine. Especially since, again, this is a class that you're not going to see a whole bunch of every FEF anyway. There's only been one game with two in it, and most people want to be on the front lines getting into the action. For the majority of players, it's much more satisfying to be the guy who went out there and critted someone with an arrow so hard his head is pinned to the column seven tiles away than it is to be the guy who sat back and played a song for the sniper. It's like, say, basketball. People only care about who got that sweet dunk; rarely do they notice the player who passed the ball to the scorer. Only people who have a particular idea they want to play (like FFS with Candy) or who like playing support classes (me) are going to pick it.

@Birdy: That's also partially the GMs fault. The only performance item I can recall getting is a Hermes Whistle for Powder's character in Gates of Rundum. There will quite likely be situations where +5 RES is more desirable than another turn, but if the party tends to prioritize buying damage-dealers and the GM figures double-turning is good enough that no performance-related loot is required, then you have a situation where yeah... that's all performers can do.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: November 27, 2014, 09:29:59 pm »

Actually, the caveat that performers can't perform each other is a house rule. Normally, they can be performed just like anyone else.

And while it's true that a party of seven performers, a knight and a priest wouldn't work, I think that's the far end of a bell curve.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: November 27, 2014, 09:42:09 pm »

Well, make that an official rule then, since it's fine and fair. And yeah I know it's an extreme example, but so are the nerfs you're wanting to put on it. The Again staff can give anyone anywhere on the map a second turn, too. Yes, it's an A-rank staff, but there are more classes that can potentially use that staff (Bishop, Mage Knight, Nomad Healer, Saint, Valkyrie. With Discipline then these classes could also use it: Priest, Sage, Troubadour) then there are performer classes, and there's more likely to be one or more of them in a team. Additionally that staff can be handed from one party member to another like we did with the Rescue Staff in FEF1, given the right party set-up.

It's all in how people play. Maybe you guys should just let it ride for awhile and see if it becomes a big problem later.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:45:01 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: November 28, 2014, 04:20:44 am »

We got one of the Dancer's items in FOE's game, iirc.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: November 28, 2014, 06:33:45 am »

If performers are completely fine as long as there's only one of them, stop trying to nerf them and officially limit them to one per game so we don't have to bring several for them to be useful.

Seriously there's a simple solution to this balance problem and some people keep wanting to hit them with the nerf bat.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: November 28, 2014, 08:52:19 am »

Is it actually worth worrying about? When is there going to be a party with more than two performers?

You could technically have a party of all mages, or all bandits, or whatever, as well, and they'd run into similar problems of lack of flexibility. It's reasonable to expect players not to be total morons.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: November 28, 2014, 09:09:41 am »

We got one of the Dancer's items in FOE's game, iirc.

Have you had the chance to use it yet?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: November 28, 2014, 09:26:23 am »

Solution I propose: A performer class can only refresh a particular ally once per tier (Once as performer, twice as bard/dancer, thrice as promoted class), possibly increase this to "once every 5 levels" or whatever if you think this is too strict. Lyrics/dances/intruments don't count against this, and can be used as much as you want.

I'm honestly suprised to hear that performance items are so rare, as I found them to be the most interesting thing to read in the book.
I honestly think that performers should get Instruments (E), so they can do more than a single thing, to compensate.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: November 28, 2014, 10:35:57 am »

That is... an extreme nerf. And basically makes them useless, since you're basically going to always be going "well, what if we need to refresh people more next turn?" It'd basically render them almost unplayable, even with their items.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: November 28, 2014, 10:55:49 am »

Ok to stop beating a dead horse I'm posting some more icons.

Swords:
Iron Sword:
Devil Sword:
Slim Sword:
Iron Rapier:
Iron Blade:
Wooden Sword:
Iron Knife:
Iron Dagger:

Lances:
Iron Lance:
Slim Lance:
Iron Javelin:
Iron Pilum:
Iron Halberd:
Iron Pike:

Axes:
Iron Axe:
Devil Axe:
Iron Staff:
Iron Club:
Handaxe:
Hatchet:

Bows:
Iron Bow:
Training Bow:
Iron Longbow:
Mountain Longbow:
Bowgun:
Conposite Crossbow:

I don't like how some of them ended (especially iron club) so if someone can do a better version I appreciate it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: November 28, 2014, 11:36:44 am »

Personally, I'd say swap the icons for the iron axe and the handaxe. But aside from that, I like 'em.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: November 28, 2014, 11:40:49 am »

That's how they are in the games tho :v
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 300