Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: The Videogames Industry Sucks: Rant About the Decline of the Videogame Industry  (Read 24313 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

That there are people willing to do that kind of arguing for pages and pages doesn't necessarily speak to whether they were enjoying it, so much as whether they were under the impression that it would be possible to "win" the argument which they had engaged in, and that doing so would have positive rather than negative consequences.
It... doesn't even mean that. People have been willing to take some time off (if that -- it's a lot easier to play and type than it used to be. I know I was waiting for some turns to finish processing while I was typing some of th'stuff I threw in) from games to talk about them since games were a thing. Not because they want to "win" or anything. Just because they like talking about video games. I enjoy playing video games enough I'm willing to shoot the shit a 'lil in the down time, or while m'doing something else, y'know? And then there's other reasons, o'course.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I stand corrected, then.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

My evidence being that there's 12 pages of people that think arguing about whether they do or do not suck or eating imaginary popcorn is more fun than PLAYING games.

That there are people willing to do that kind of arguing for pages and pages doesn't necessarily speak to whether they were enjoying it, so much as whether they were under the impression that it would be possible to "win" the argument which they had engaged in, and that doing so would have positive rather than negative consequences.

Your post indicates that you seem to be one of them.

RONIN'S LAW 8)!

You can't argue with internet laws...

scrdest's Law

You can argue with anything, given motivation. Including this law.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile

Toady you can close this thread if you think it's causing more harm than good at this point.

I didn't start it to cause a shitstorm...

I really did just want to discuss the state of modern gaming.

I guess maybe it's just too contentious a topic to discuss.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

We have a new game to discuss though.

holy absolute fuckery, gaben has delivered!

EDIT: April 1st. watch the fuck out,.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Toady you can close this thread if you think it's causing more harm than good at this point.

Ronin, we did discuss the state of modern gaming and concluded that it's not shit. #wow #whoa

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

You heard it here first folks. Bay 12 Forum goers declare modern games "not shit". What will they declare as an encore? Stay tuned to find out!
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are a few genres that just DIED in the modern day.

Heck even First Person Shooters that aren't Military shooters have suffered quite a bit, with Halo being sort of being the outlier (and it has become REALLY military shooter after the first game)

Real Time Strategies have been really struggling after Westwood just stopped being good at making them. I think Company of Heroes is like... the only one left.
don't forget the RPGs

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Meh.

Am I the only one who really dislikes the half-life games?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

EDIT: April 1st. watch the fuck out,.

And its a fake URL.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meh.

Am I the only one who really dislikes the half-life games?

I find them to be thoroughly mediocre, even compared to their contemporaries. A good example of nostalgia glasses, imo.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are a few genres that just DIED in the modern day.

Heck even First Person Shooters that aren't Military shooters have suffered quite a bit, with Halo being sort of being the outlier (and it has become REALLY military shooter after the first game)

Real Time Strategies have been really struggling after Westwood just stopped being good at making them. I think Company of Heroes is like... the only one left.
don't forget the RPGs

I think it is too early to tell if RPGs are just outright "over"

I mean the Tales games are still going and in some respects they are as good as ever, even if they are games held up almost exclusively by characterization and not story.

While Dark Souls is unlikely to stop and while Dark Souls 2 isn't as solid as the first game, it is still a good game...

I mean sure Final Fantasy is dead and replaced with something entirely alien, Romancing Saga is dead, dragon quest is dead, Tactics Ogre is dead.

As well Bethesda is making more and more shallow games without stop, and Bioware keeps making the same game over and over again...

Hmmm... I guess RPGs are really in rough shape. But at least there are still strong RPGs being made.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:34:46 am by Neonivek »

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ronin, we did discuss the state of modern gaming and concluded that it's not shit. #wow #whoa

We did? Not in this thread.

Also, Ronin, if you didn't want a shit storm, why did you use the words sucks and rant? That kind of language makes the Defenders of the Status Quo(TM) quite, well, defensive.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15