Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 153

Author Topic: ER: Dead Man Running: Episode 4: Get in here and vote on some Murder.  (Read 291447 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: ER: Dead Man Running: Episode 1: Blood and Guts
« Reply #525 on: April 21, 2014, 11:16:12 am »

((A dollar with a dead man on them?))

Larry wonders if he should volunteer again.  The last time hurt.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 21, 2014, 11:28:26 am »

((A dollar with a dead man on them?))
I think it'd be a skull. Simple but recognizable design.

I'm gonna go with no. Otherwise yeah, strategic betting on various things could give you money regardless.  In a perfect world, I would run the numbers for every episode and give different payouts for each bet (chances of survival lower if the player is injured, increasing payouts if they actually survive. etc). But I doubt my knowledge of statistics is good enough to do that without massive errors.
Understandable. Would it be ok if we betted on both teams winning, but used a different amount of DD? Or betted x DD on red team winning, and then y DD on red team losing?

Take my regular seat (next to Bert). Bet 2 DD on Blue team winning team challenge.

"Hey man, I think it's your turn for drinks, ain't it?" he says to Bert.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:32:36 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 21, 2014, 11:29:46 am »

((Geez, can't even take a 16 hour nap without the show starting on me.))

Mason looks over to Larry when it is mentioned that a team leader is needed. "I can take this one if you want. Although I was hoping to wait until the one-on-one challenge." Mason suggests, loud enough for his team to hear.

((Although the only useful stat I have is endurance, I'll volunteer if nobody else wants to be team leader.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 21, 2014, 11:33:17 am »

Larry shrugs.  "Yeah, you should take that piece into the solo challenge.  I'll take this one if no one else does.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 21, 2014, 11:43:27 am »

Ah, I see! Well then! Bet an additional 2 DD that there will be at least one beheading on tonight's show.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #530 on: April 21, 2014, 11:48:09 am »

((I would take the bookie position, but I know nothing about bets, so I'll just stick to what I do best and keep track of stuff.

I'm gonna go with no. Otherwise yeah, strategic betting on various things could give you money regardless.  In a perfect world, I would run the numbers for every episode and give different payouts for each bet (chances of survival lower if the player is injured, increasing payouts if they actually survive. etc). But I doubt my knowledge of statistics is good enough to do that without massive errors.
Understandable. Would it be ok if we betted on both teams winning, but used a different amount of DD? Or betted x DD on red team winning, and then y DD on red team losing?
The payout is 1.5x for Team challenge and 2x for individual.
So for the team challenge if you bet 1 DD on red and 1 on blue, you get 1.5 DD and lose 2, so you're left with a -0.5 loss.
For the individual you get 2DD and lose 2, so you're left with a gain of 0.
I don't think there currently is a way to game the system.

Looks like you managed to confuse piecewise.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 21, 2014, 12:16:05 pm »

((I would take the bookie position, but I know nothing about bets, so I'll just stick to what I do best and keep track of stuff.

The payout is 1.5x for Team challenge and 2x for individual.
So for the team challenge if you bet 1 DD on red and 1 on blue, you get 1.5 DD and lose 2, so you're left with a -0.5 loss.
For the individual you get 2DD and lose 2, so you're left with a gain of 0.
I don't think there currently is a way to game the system.

Looks like you managed to confuse piecewise.))

Survival:Bet that a particular contestant will survive the episode.Bets must be placed by the time the team challenge begins. 1.5x pay out.

Winner:That a particular contestant will be the winner of either the Team challenge or the individual challenge. Bets for team have to be placed by the time the team challenge begins. Bets for individual begin when the participants are chosen and close when the competition begins. 3X payout for team, 2X payout for individual.

Loser: Similar to winner, but bet on who will lose Team or individual challenges. 2X payout for team, 1.5 for individual. 

Eliminated: Bet on who will be eliminated by the end of the episode. Must be placed before team challenge begins. 5X pay out.

The first method, with betting the same amount on both teams to win, would mean guaranteed win, right? (due to 3X payout for team winner). Or does 'currently' not include that method which PW just outlawed?

The third one was more in terms of 'I bet a largish sum of DD on one team winning, then bet a smaller amount on the same team losing, to decrease the amount of tokens lost in case my bet of that team winning doesn't work out'.
e.g.: 4 on red winning, 2 on red losing
red wins: 3*4 - 2 -4 = 6 DD gain
red loses: 2*2 - 2 -3 = 1 DD loss

If I only bet 4 DD on red winning:
red wins: 3*4  -4 = 8 DD gain
red loses: -4 = 4 DD loss

This is not gaming the system, but decreasing payouts to also decrease DD loss when making the wrong bet. In this case, for two DD less potential payout, i decrease the possible DD loss by 3.

I would love to take the bookie position, if not for the fact I foresee a lot of school work coming up, and I don't wanna feel obligated to post. Sorry guys.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:26:37 pm by Radio Controlled »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: ER: Dead Man Running: Episode 2: Bookies Wanted
« Reply #532 on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:09 pm »

((As piecewise clarified in a later post, that refers to betting on individuals to win or lose during the team phase. Betting on the entire team gives a 1.5x payout.))
Winner bets are that a specific contestant will be the winner of either the Team Challenge or Individual Challenge, and must be placed before the corresponding Challenge begins. The have a payout of 3x for Team Challenge bets and 2x for Individual Challenge bets. You can also bet that a specific team will win the Team Challenge for a payout of 1.5x, as opposed to a specific contestant on a team coming in first place.
Winner:That a particular contestant will be the winner of either the Team challenge or the individual challenge. Bets for team have to be placed by the time the team challenge begins. Bets for individual begin when the participants are chosen and close when the competition begins. 3X payout for team, 2X payout for individual.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:34:47 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 21, 2014, 12:52:04 pm »

((As piecewise clarified in a later post, that refers to betting on individuals to win or lose during the team phase. Betting on the entire team gives a 1.5x payout.))
Winner bets are that a specific contestant will be the winner of either the Team Challenge or Individual Challenge, and must be placed before the corresponding Challenge begins. The have a payout of 3x for Team Challenge bets and 2x for Individual Challenge bets. You can also bet that a specific team will win the Team Challenge for a payout of 1.5x, as opposed to a specific contestant on a team coming in first place.

Ah, didn't get that later post apparently. I guess he needs to update that post explaining bets then, to avoid confusion. Or I should just refer to the wiki.
So basically, a contestant only wins the team challenge if he's still personally standing at the end, or if he has the most points where it is applicable (I could readily imagine contests where teams win or lose as a whole). I could see the logic behind that, but I find it rather ambiguously phrased in that post explaining the betting to be honest.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #534 on: April 21, 2014, 12:58:05 pm »

((I'll add a link to the wiki page in my list to make it easier to find.))

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: ER: Dead Man Running: Welcome to the Show.
« Reply #535 on: April 21, 2014, 01:01:54 pm »

Bet 6 DD on Cromwell Survival. Bet 2 DD on Blue Team victory for this challenge, and 2 on Cromwell victory for this challenge.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 21, 2014, 01:29:09 pm »

Larry shrugs.  "Yeah, you should take that piece into the solo challenge.  I'll take this one if no one else does.

Hey, the leader might not even be at risk in this one. ...'course, you might be the only one at risk as well.
I'll volunteer for it. Probably the best way to protect the medkit.

Volunteered leader. Apparently :P

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:26:09 pm by Kriellya »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 21, 2014, 03:10:38 pm »

Breakdance while teams decide stuff.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: ER: Dead Man Running: Welcome to the Show.
« Reply #538 on: April 21, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »

"I'd really prefer to not be the leader on this."

Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 21, 2014, 03:58:31 pm »

Hey, the leader might not even be at risk in this one. ...'course, you might be the only one at risk as well.
I'll volunteer for it. Probably the best way to protect the medkit.

"Fine by me."

((You should probably bold that.))
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 153