Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: Bay12's posting history.  (Read 57677 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12's posting history.
« Reply #240 on: May 02, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »

So it is. Update in 6 hours.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2016, 01:37:44 pm »

Updated.

I've also started to poke around with the prediction algorithms again. Doing a field test today: the algorithm suggests that there should be between 1400 and 1746 posts today. The low number of posts on the 29th is weighting the data weirdly, but it's actually not affecting the prediction too much.

I've run the algorithm over the data for about a year and a half, and its margin of error is about +/- 225 posts, and an average of +/- 11% off. That's not really great yet. I'm still working on refining it; I'd really like to see the margin get down to +/- 100 posts.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2016, 02:04:08 pm »

If you try hard enough and give the algorithm enough data you might be able to get the exact number a time or two
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2016, 02:22:53 pm »

Updated.

I've also started to poke around with the prediction algorithms again. Doing a field test today: the algorithm suggests that there should be between 1400 and 1746 posts today. The low number of posts on the 29th is weighting the data weirdly, but it's actually not affecting the prediction too much.

I've run the algorithm over the data for about a year and a half, and its margin of error is about +/- 225 posts, and an average of +/- 11% off. That's not really great yet. I'm still working on refining it; I'd really like to see the margin get down to +/- 100 posts.
Right now your algorithm is averaging the past N daily differences to predict today's daily difference.  I suggest adding a couple low-hanging-fruit improvements to see if they help.  Statisticians call these control variables and data scientists call it feature augmentation.

Using the Sheets functions MONTH(date) and WEEKDAY(date), you can put the raw dates into categories.  Work out the average effect for all dates in that category, subtract out those expected effects, do your prediction on the residuals, then add the expected effects back in.  There is some art and some science to this.

I would expect the MONTH category to affect the average posting volume, but the WEEKDAY category might affect the average posting volume or the average difference.

Once you have one or two controls/features working, you'll find it much easier to test-drive others that might occur to you (release dates, FOTF replies, whatever).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2016, 05:20:28 pm »

Those are really good suggestions. Thank you! I'm going to slowly work towards rebuilding the algorithms to accommodate those.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2016, 10:29:05 pm »

Well, i might, for laughs, try and use a neural network to predict the contents of posts

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 01, 2016, 10:33:05 pm »

Dear god, I don't even want to hear about that thing in action.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 01, 2016, 11:04:41 pm »

Well, i might, for laughs, try and use a neural network to predict the contents of posts

Just feed everything in a relevant thread/board into the shitpost simulator and you should get some fairly accurate results, with some proofreading.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2016, 01:09:10 am »

Depends on the source. Mafia posts would be much different from rp posts or emotion thread posts. FotF posts would probably be weird but interesing.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2016, 01:16:05 am »

Just feed everything in a relevant thread/board into the shitpost simulator and you should get some fairly accurate results, with some proofreading.
Sounds even better, and indont have to r program my network!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2016, 01:25:38 am »

Depends on the source. Mafia posts would be much different from rp posts or emotion thread posts. FotF posts would probably be weird but interesing.
Posts from the politics threads, however, will be indistinguishable.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2016, 01:31:41 am »

Posts from the politics threads, however, will be indistinguishable.
I bow down to you, master of colors and wizards
Bow down to the orange wizard! Bow!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #254 on: June 02, 2016, 01:39:54 am »

Fetch me some tea
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22