Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 185

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 773570 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #1620 on: May 01, 2015, 10:39:37 am »

Oh! Normal, in uh, I think it was 5.45 since that's when you removed the debug messages, heck, I think it's still the one from the testing page? Either way it works great like I said, though I'll test out legacy some later and see if it holds up the same.

Weird, TWBT_LEGACY doesn't give an error, just doesn't do anything different from normal 2D mode as far as I can tell.

Wait:
Code: [Select]
UNKNOWN CLASS 'ack21dfhack_lua_viewscreenE': vtable = 0xf7f66088
Weird, like I said, it works just fine like it was 2D mode, so hey, failing gracefully to 2D mode beats the heck out of spewing garbled pixels and poofing I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:55:50 am by Max™ »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: May 01, 2015, 01:49:17 pm »

The "Unknown class" message (assuming it's in stderr.log) is a fairly harmless DFHack message.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: May 01, 2015, 02:02:47 pm »

The "Unknown class" message (assuming it's in stderr.log) is a fairly harmless DFHack message.
This is Dwarf Fortress, where "fairly harmless" means it takes several seconds to melt your skin off :)

For a project that started off as not wanting zeros to look like coffins, this project has grown into something truly amazing... and it makes the game much more accessible to new players who aren't used to thinking in 2D slices of 3D spaces.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: May 01, 2015, 03:30:48 pm »

Well, then it failed silently back to 2D mode when I tried to use TWBT_LEGACY in adventurer mode. Also, yeah, being able glance over at a little hammer icon on the ground and go "ah, toy for the hammerer", rather than get all excited when you see / and scroll down through the pile of stuff on top of it to find an extra-awesome ☼Adamantine War Hammer☼ sitting there instead of say, an axe, or sword, or spear... even a freaking dagger! I don't care, I keep one for hacking up carcasses anyways, why not have it made of candy?

Grumalg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: May 06, 2015, 08:06:47 pm »

Had an odd thought about some animation stuff that an added capability to TWBT would make possible...

Given that the game supports animated tiles, such as the native gem window color changing and the animated grass tiles some tileset makers have created, it occurred to me that mechanical components could be made to appear to rotate.

A waterwheel could have stripes that change position, an axle could have stripes (h) or dots (V), a gear assembly could have teeth that change position, a millstone could have radial stripes, etc.

That would give the appearance of rotation, but you'd really like to be able to turn it on/off depending on whether it's powered.  If TWBT could do *conditional* tile overrides to replace the animated tile with a static tile when unpowered you'd have that.

Flip that lever and the parts start/stop rotating...

This conditional tile override ability may have other animation uses as well.  Such as a workshop animated/static when Active/Idle.

I'm pretty sure DFHack is likely to already have the powered/unpowered and active/idle states accessible.  Tilemakers doing animated tiles exist, is it possible TWBT could be made to do conditional overrides?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1625 on: May 06, 2015, 09:05:20 pm »

Had an odd thought about some animation stuff that an added capability to TWBT would make possible...

Given that the game supports animated tiles, such as the native gem window color changing and the animated grass tiles some tileset makers have created, it occurred to me that mechanical components could be made to appear to rotate.

A waterwheel could have stripes that change position, an axle could have stripes (h) or dots (V), a gear assembly could have teeth that change position, a millstone could have radial stripes, etc.

That would give the appearance of rotation, but you'd really like to be able to turn it on/off depending on whether it's powered.  If TWBT could do *conditional* tile overrides to replace the animated tile with a static tile when unpowered you'd have that.

Flip that lever and the parts start/stop rotating...

This conditional tile override ability may have other animation uses as well.  Such as a workshop animated/static when Active/Idle.

I'm pretty sure DFHack is likely to already have the powered/unpowered and active/idle states accessible.  Tilemakers doing animated tiles exist, is it possible TWBT could be made to do conditional overrides?

That's exactly my idea - add support for conditional overrides and animation. There would be images like
axle_vert.png
axle_vert-active.png <-- contains several frames for animation.

Now I just need to find time to finish this new version.

Grumalg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 06, 2015, 09:46:32 pm »

That's exactly my idea - add support for conditional overrides and animation. There would be images like
axle_vert.png

Excellent...  I'd think that the normal tileset tiles being the animated ones and the overrides being the static version is advantageous because the animated ones then work normally for non-TWBT users transparently, but TWBT users gain the interactive animation ability.  Tileset makers need only provide the static form separately (one frame of animation) for the override.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1627 on: May 06, 2015, 09:49:19 pm »

axle_vert.png

Excellent...  I'd think that the normal tileset tiles being the animated ones and the overrides being the static version is advantageous because the animated ones then work normally for non-TWBT users transparently, but TWBT users gain the interactive animation ability.  Tileset makers need only provide the static form separately (one frame of animation) for the override.

Oh, no, standard tileset can't be animated, it's only possible to animate grass.

Grumalg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 06, 2015, 09:55:18 pm »

Ah, the gem window animation with different gems + animated grass made me think it was more general that tiles could have multiple frames...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 07, 2015, 10:20:08 am »

There are a handful of other animations already in the game... axles and millstones and waterwheels will switch between two states while active, and levers and bridges have two states.  These behaviors are hardcoded and not something you can leverage for modding.

It might be necessary for TWBT to suppress the game's own attempts at animation to put its own nicer animations.  Otherwise the waterwheel will wink in and out of its TWBT images.

Bonus points if the waterwheel can have different animation sets based on the direction of flow.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 07, 2015, 10:30:16 am »

With the next big DF release coming out in a month or two, my vote is to keep TwbT stable - and minimise
the pain of upgrading. Actually... How hard would it be to merge TwbT into standard DFHack?

Leaving TwbT alone means Mifki can focus on other projects like the UI server for df-ios, so it can act as a backend for Armok Vision 2 (and any other UI replacement).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:32:10 am by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1631 on: May 07, 2015, 05:15:50 pm »

It might be necessary for TWBT to suppress the game's own attempts at animation to put its own nicer animations.  Otherwise the waterwheel will wink in and out of its TWBT images.

New version uses a completely different approach, so game will not render items/buildings at all (those that are overridden).

With the next big DF release coming out in a month or two, my vote is to keep TwbT stable - and minimise
the pain of upgrading.

We're talking here about the next major version of twbt, which, of course will not replace the current stable version. Also, graphics code in DF doesn't change, so I don't expect any additional problems this time.

Actually... How hard would it be to merge TwbT into standard DFHack?  Leaving TwbT alone means Mifki can focus on other projects like the UI server for df-ios, so it can act as a backend for Armok Vision 2 (and any other UI replacement).

The problem is not in merging (which I personally have nothing against), the problem is that additional reverse-engineering is required for each DF version. If anyone is willing to do that, they're welcome to, regardless of the location of the code. There's a step-by-step guide for finding required addresses in DF available for some time already.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 14, 2015, 08:01:11 am »

This would be worth looking into:
Quote from: DFhack
[DFHack]# /Applications/Macnewbie/Dwarf Fortress/dfhack: line 15:   181 Bus error               DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=./hack/libdfhack.dylib ./dwarfort.exe "$@"

logout

[Process completed]

This keeps on happening. Not only does it happen when I exit the game (a known error according to mifki), but also just randomly sometimes when I unpause. I'm running 10.6.8. It's really not fun to spend a half hour on designations then have the game quit unexpectedly without saving.

<...>
EDIT3: Disabled TWBT. This seems to have fixed it. I'll update this when the game has run for a year or two without crashing or it crashes.

EDIT4: Ok it was definitely TWBT causing the crashes. <...>
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1633 on: May 16, 2015, 02:46:47 am »

The thing is, unfortunately, apart from Meph's set of custom graphics for items, so far nobody created any tileset/graphics to make use of twbt features to change graphics for buildings/items/tiletypes. With 0.40 it became even more important because at least trees sharing graphics with other objects look like shit. Yes, there are some issues with changing tiles for workshops, but I see a lack of artists interested in creating graphics for twbt in the first place. Once there are any, I'll find a way to change all workshop tiles as well.
Dragon de Platino is working on a Twbt set. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1634 on: May 16, 2015, 08:26:05 pm »

Playing with rendering stuff with materials real colours

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some tiles like bins and barrels will need to be adjusted, also not sure what happened to some floor tiles. But tables and chairs on the right and other furniture now all have different colours because they're made of different materials, and also copper/lead/zinc cages now seem to have more real-life colours.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 185