Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1200234 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 251 Back again
« Reply #7320 on: July 04, 2017, 12:31:30 pm »

"Hm... Actually, hunting myself from different timeline sounds quite appropriate to me. As I strive for perfection of self, whichever version wins, I will derive much from encounter."
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: July 04, 2017, 12:40:24 pm »

Well, that seems reasonable, and I don't see any other alternative that lets me survive

Try to grow plants on the golem's jaw, weakening or shattering it so I can escape
if successful, leave the underground tower with all of my minions
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: July 04, 2017, 06:15:38 pm »

As of current I have two possible plans. Granted, both of them are based upon magic theory and I can't guarantee that either plan will work but I will try my best to explain why it might possibly work.

My first idea is this, Pantheon Ascent. At present, each individual mage has inner power with the strength of 5 soul shards or more in addition to some possessing crystallized soul shards that have been collected during the course of this competition.

I believe that in the old days, the great pantheons rose when a group of Magi pooled their collective power to essentially gain group status as gods and goddesses.
Surely this method could be repeated. Even today, we see evidence of this method through its less potent cousins, rituals and joint castings.

Perhaps if we pool our souls together into a group pool of 100 shards worth, we may be able to ascend as a new Pantheon.

My second method is much more dangerous and could probably disturb causality. It amounts to hunting down versions of yourself from other time lines from shortly after you joined the game within that time line and collecting the soul shards from your less fortunate selves.

To all who are interested, meet me at the Tower. It's time to win this game.

Travel to the tower.
3 Essences

"Your first plan would result in betting on one newly-formed god being able to fight and win against many other, more experienced and powerful deities. I vote no."

"And as for your second plan... You want Inevitables? Because that's how you get Inevitables."

"Also, since there was some confusion about it earlier: My plan is for all of us to work together to collect fonts of magic and use them to fend off the gods while James (and anyone else who can help him) constructs a portal that can send us to some other universe/multiverse/dimension that we can escape in."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: July 04, 2017, 06:47:38 pm »

"Hey, you. Didn't you contact me privately earlier about private things? I have some plans I wouldn't mind you helping out with. I think we would work well together."
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: July 04, 2017, 08:07:29 pm »

"That was my plan too, make a portal and get everyone who wants through it."

Run away from the "Angel" back to the usual place.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: July 04, 2017, 08:26:30 pm »

Portal plan seems like it might just work. I'll meet you at the tower.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Prismatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: July 05, 2017, 04:01:28 am »

((Oh...guess this means my plans of reanimating the entire swamp, corrupting the eldritch lake, becoming an immortal lich king and covering the world with an undead horde will never come to fruition now. It's truly a shame that this game is ending so abruptly.))

Continue the ritual.

If it's possible to travel during a ritual (the remaining sacrifices are both bound to my quite portable lantern), mount the hydra and command it to move northeast towards the eldritch zone. Got to make the most of our limited time.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: July 05, 2017, 08:57:44 am »

((I want to take this opportunity to thank you, DG, for running this game. It's been a blast.))
"A portal would work, in the short term. It will, at the very least, buy time."
Book it to the tower. Enchant the glass shield to divert the randomly aimed divine bolts away from our positions. Use a +2/+2, +1/+2, and chaotic +2/+1, and pull from the random fluctuations in the Aether for as much additional power as possible.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: July 05, 2017, 10:41:45 am »

((Come to think of it there is one way that this game could continue (Basically changing GMs to someone with time to write turns)))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: July 06, 2017, 08:52:04 pm »

Turn 252

Move one tile west. Form 2 essences.

{Do you mean east? Because west is towards the colder regions on the way there snow slows you down considerably}
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cuberac continued eastwards, slogging through the snow. The wind became harsher, the cold started biting more fiercely. The heatcube he carried was too weak to fight off this cold, it could delay the ice, but not more.

((It is a good time to die, indeed. Pity I was not able to complete a ritual or raise some minions for this. Double pity I won't be able to. Heh.))

Hearing an announcement that torn into the very matter of reality around him, Ao couldn't help but chuckle. What he was saying about not having all the time in the world just a few minutes ago? Yeah. Now he had even less.

"It should be an interesting conclusion to my research. But I'm still not fully prepared for the battle. Hm..."

If I have what is needed for spirit binding - start right now, using Chaotic essences to get +5/+5. If I do not or everything goes well - endurance buff with same amount of Chaotic essences. If it also goes well, quickly search for fencing book before wandering outside.

The ritual was fairly easy, which made Ao suspect a trap. Since time was all of a sudden a pressing matter and the danger was unknown, Ao decided to call a minor demon. Shadows gathered around him, climbed up from the ground over his skin, and when enough of them gathered to cover Ao completely, forced through into the blood. For a moment Ao felt as if his hear had stopped, but then his heartbeat resumed and all that was left of the strange feeling was some soreness of muscles. Well, it's only supposed to show itself when you are hurt, so there shouldn't be any lack of chances to test it in near future. While he was still in the library, Ao looked for a tome on fencing, but what he found was a fencing tome, that is to say, a book enchanted to stab people who picked it up. As Ao discovered, his blood was now black as tar, more viscous and could harden to stop blows. Handy.

Doktor Diabolical:

"Ah... well, that's a problem. Guess I'll have to begin plan omega early, then."

Doktor Diabolical creates a flamethrower robot that obeys his orders using a +1 POT essence and 3 +1/+1 essences. Afterwards, he makes 2 essences. Mining and whatnot continues.

((Also, the hauler bot isn't listed in the doc? Also, ATHATH has two living characters listed in the doc?))

{Hauler bot added, Karnax deleted}

Doktor cast his magic again, and flamethrower bot was forged, much better than pervious attempts too. This one actually worked, and had threads to move it places.  At the same time, miner bot took a chunk of adamantine ore revealing the non-adamantine space that had worried Doktor so much before, revealing soft sandy dirt. The dirt then extended out of the revealed hole and punted the miner, sending it rolling for good twenty feet. More earth began rising from within adamantine and it began shaping itself into a body. A body of an earth spirit.

Say... DG, how many shards is a god worth?

Well, if you're all gonna die on your own, I won't get to get the satisfaction of killing/defeating you myself, so I should probably try to save us. I suppose that your praise/respect will have to do. Plus, killing gods will be fun.

Turn the lake into a giant Mirror of Opposition, using the font of magic within it to fuel the transformation. Use 5 normal essences and/or a ritual to do this, if necessary. Whatever I do, DON'T look at the lake while/after I enchant it.

Oh, and give my blade to Skelliborn or someone for safekeeping. I wouldn't want it to cause an, ah, accident.

Also, make an essence. Head back to the tower, if I can.

Whisperling, I need you/Viznor to use your Knowledge and Binding affinities to draw the attentions of the gods to the lake (AFTER I finish enchanting it, of course). Although the newly created mirror-deities might also hate us, they should hate their "real" counterparts more, which should buy us some time.

James, start working on a portal to get us the heck outta here. Maybe take us to some other dimension or world or something. I dunno.

Redrum, I need you to start working on a ritual to reanimate the gods that are about to die under your control. Work with Viznor and his Binding affinity if necessary.

Beirus, turn your accursed tower into something useful, like a cannon or a (better) power amplifier or something. Perhaps, once this is all over, we can have a mage-duel or something. We'll work that stuff out when we come to it.

Gambler, try to make the missiles hit stuff that isn't important or miss the island entirely with a shield of luck or something.

Skelliborn, work on your godhood thing. Also, please stabilize my sword for me. It could very well blow us all up if we're not careful.

The rest of you, find more fonts of magic and bring them back to the rest of us. They will be essential to our survival.

Good luck and godspeed, gentlemen.

{You are going to need to at least physically get to the font to use it.

Gods are worth a lot. I'm thinking either twenty five or fifty, depending on how hard I make to bring one down.}

((I want to take this opportunity to thank you, DG, for running this game. It's been a blast.))
"A portal would work, in the short term. It will, at the very least, buy time."
Book it to the tower. Enchant the glass shield to divert the randomly aimed divine bolts away from our positions. Use a +2/+2, +1/+2, and chaotic +2/+1, and pull from the random fluctuations in the Aether for as much additional power as possible.

Gambler ran towards the tower as fast as he could. Or almost as fast, as he was also busy enchanting a shield to reflect magic. glass was pretty good for this, mirrors were better, but glass was good as well. Some of Gambler's luck seemingly got into the shield as magic within it formed to always reflect towards someone the shield holder didn't like.

Urghe rushed towards the tower towards which quite a few other mages had been running. The sky was already turning a great deal brighter than it had any reason to be. The fire was already on it's way and he hadn't reached the Tower yet.

As of current I have two possible plans. Granted, both of them are based upon magic theory and I can't guarantee that either plan will work but I will try my best to explain why it might possibly work.

My first idea is this, Pantheon Ascent. At present, each individual mage has inner power with the strength of 5 soul shards or more in addition to some possessing crystallized soul shards that have been collected during the course of this competition.

I believe that in the old days, the great pantheons rose when a group of Magi pooled their collective power to essentially gain group status as gods and goddesses.
Surely this method could be repeated. Even today, we see evidence of this method through its less potent cousins, rituals and joint castings.

Perhaps if we pool our souls together into a group pool of 100 shards worth, we may be able to ascend as a new Pantheon.

My second method is much more dangerous and could probably disturb causality. It amounts to hunting down versions of yourself from other time lines from shortly after you joined the game within that time line and collecting the soul shards from your less fortunate selves.

To all who are interested, meet me at the Tower. It's time to win this game.

Travel to the tower.
3 Essences

Friendship can be a beautiful thing, but Skeliborn still ran towards safety as fast as he could, paying no heed to his ally of a minute ago. Even so, he began thinking of possibilities of getting out of this alive, and to his credit, neither of his methods involved murder of friendly mages. Truly, compared to the average Skeliborn was both honorable and averse to violence.

Well, that seems reasonable, and I don't see any other alternative that lets me survive

Try to grow plants on the golem's jaw, weakening or shattering it so I can escape
if successful, leave the underground tower with all of my minions

Seva swiftly decided on a plan of escape. If it involved potential injury so be it. Golem crocodile was momentarily confused when claw in its maw changed into smaller and softer leg, but overcame this confusion and bit down. But before stone teeth could penetrate significantly, Seva shoved his fist gripping the emerald into the toothy trap and unleashed a wild growth of plants. Swiftly, it forced open the stone jaw, releasing Seva's leg, and then continued t grow until it broke lower jaw off. Seva cared little for this damage, swiftly leaving the room and the building it was connected to.

"That was my plan too, make a portal and get everyone who wants through it."

Run away from the "Angel" back to the usual place.

Although this angel looked a lot like a stone statue, it shared none of the latter's sluggishness. James found this out swiftly as his attempt to ditch this nonsense and run away was ended by a swift kick to the head that sent him rolling on the ground. The angel apparently had some unknown amount of training in martial arts to manage to raise a leg so high.

((Oh...guess this means my plans of reanimating the entire swamp, corrupting the eldritch lake, becoming an immortal lich king and covering the world with an undead horde will never come to fruition now. It's truly a shame that this game is ending so abruptly.))

Continue the ritual.

If it's possible to travel during a ritual (the remaining sacrifices are both bound to my quite portable lantern), mount the hydra and command it to move northeast towards the eldritch zone. Got to make the most of our limited time.

{If you had started the ritual while on a hydra with intent to be able to move, I'd say yes, but you didn't so no.}

Redrum clicked his tongue impatiently as the news reached him. The ritual had reached the point of "good enough", it would give him what he wanted from it but nothing more. He could still keep going, but the time suddenly jumped up significantly in value. On one hand, murdering people. On the other, creating an necromantic relic worthy of the name.

Even as sky became alight with unnatural colors, the portal still continued its seemingly random flaring and depositing of mages on the island This time, out came Sharrin, master of wolves, hound-master of the wild hunt. Renowned for his great knowledge of the hunt and the hunters, he had the powers to call upon the embodiment of the hunt that was the wolves. No quarry was too far or too well hidden. But for this hunt he'd need allies, so Sharin swiftly moved along with many others towards the Tower.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:35:13 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 252 Begining of the end
« Reply #7330 on: July 06, 2017, 08:54:06 pm »

The first hex to be destroyed has been marked, and it happens to be quite popular hex as far as traffic goes. Since there were no valid action PM's, I won't be doing any today. As for non-action PM's I'll see to them tomorrow. My sleep schedule is fucked, as it goes every summer.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: July 06, 2017, 09:16:53 pm »

"I don't want to fight you. I will not."

I think you forgot my +1 to end?

Anyway, activate my new smoke torch and run away again. Around the marked hex. And block any more attacks with my gauntlet switched to shield mode.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: July 06, 2017, 10:48:58 pm »

Well, !@#$.

Okay, so someone needs to make me a scuba suit or something so that I can swim around underwater, and someone else needs to teleport me to the font. Any volunteers?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: July 07, 2017, 07:36:58 am »

((Doktor Diabolical could manage it, but he has an earth spirit to deal with. Also, it's far away from him.))

Doktor Diabolical:

"How dare you mess with my mining operation! Dia-bots, attack!"

If it's an earth spirit, it should be vulnerable to the miner attacking it. The miner attacks it. That'll be followed up by a laser from the adamantine spider combat drone. Since Doktor Diabolical himself isn't fighting, he can make 3 essences.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: July 07, 2017, 01:29:43 pm »

Head southeast, send my eyecube out to find a god.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 506