Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 978026 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2250 on: December 11, 2015, 05:14:39 pm »

Well, "converted agricultural machines". So tractors, yes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2251 on: December 11, 2015, 05:21:00 pm »

Forget that, the Leman Russ MBT is a DAoT tractor that they strapped guns to. Only Baneblades are really tanks, and they were light tanks. Humanity used to be OP as fuck.
Speaking of being OP as fuck - The Emperor Titan isin't even the biggest or most powerful of the bunch. Castigator-class autonomous bipedal weapons platform was the "original titan" and was much more advanced and bigger than your regular ones. Also it had head over it's shoulders, so that's something. Sadly, as usually, it was the Chaos who got the best toys.

And speaking of tanks and Mechanicus - a lot of people don't understand what big impact Horus Heresy had on them, because Mechanicus weren't as prominient as Space Marines and most other imperial forces aren't a thing yet so in the end it usually melts down to "spess mareens shoteeng eech oteer". Pior to HH, Mechanicus lost a lot, but they still had knowledge to field things such as Krios and Triaros tanks which are literally one of most advanced things that ever existed. Those don't even have any meaningful armour, because interlocking energy fields (which proably means they're something else than Warp shields, due to the fact that interlocking Warp shields makes them weaker) made it nearly invincible. Don't even get me started on Volkite weaponry and Taghmata Omnissiah which were literally removed from the existence due to sheer power of the weapons they used against each other.

waitwaitwait LEMAN RUSSES ARE TRACTORS
Yes.
They're armored tractors. And to that, before this they used an actual tank, Malcador, but ultimately decided that the tractor is better.
Imperium has a long history of this, and Death Korps of Krieg were experts on that - Ragnarok, Bruennhilde (that's the actual tractor) and Siegfried to name just some. Honourable mention to Blitzen and Götterdämmerung, but those are cannons made out of scrap, not pure tractors.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:22:45 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: December 11, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »

Ahh the mysteries of the the most holly toaster. Heavenly crispy bread every time. AND YOU FOOLS STILL DENY THE EMPEROR! Bunch of heretic filth.
You do realize this is exactly what happens? It's not even a bloody joke, they're exactly like this.
What it is this "joke" thing you talk about you heretic?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2253 on: December 11, 2015, 05:53:21 pm »

Ahh the mysteries of the the most holly toaster. Heavenly crispy bread every time. AND YOU FOOLS STILL DENY THE EMPEROR! Bunch of heretic filth.
You do realize this is exactly what happens? It's not even a bloody joke, they're exactly like this.
What it is this "joke" thing you talk about you heretic?
*CHK-CHK*
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:55:07 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: December 11, 2015, 06:03:39 pm »

On the note of the Leman Russ being based off a tractor, this was actually very common among STC designs.

The Rhino pattern hull was originally made as an all terrain unarmed exploration vehicle for explorers and colonists, they started attaching pintle mounted guns when they met hostile natives with low tech and eventually made things like the Predator and Razorback when they started to need more potent weaponry.

Hell, Knight Demi-Titans were originally intended as mining and deforestation tools, with combat as a secondary concern.

I think it was supposed to be because STC machines, as in the actual archeotech factories rather than the blueprints they've left behind, were designed to modularly construct all their technology so it was robust, simple and easily repaired so even the dumbest colonists could survive anywhere by feeding whatever junk they could into the machine and letting it process it and build their generators, guns and vehicles out of simple blocky shapes that plugged into one another.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2255 on: December 11, 2015, 06:08:18 pm »

I think it was supposed to be because STC machines, as in the actual archeotech factories rather than the blueprints they've left behind, were designed to modularly construct all their technology so it was robust, simple and easily repaired so even the dumbest colonists could survive anywhere by feeding whatever junk they could into the machine and letting it process it and build their generators, guns and vehicles out of simple blocky shapes that plugged into one another.
Also because a lot of the actual military blueprints got lost because Men Of Iron.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: December 11, 2015, 06:32:44 pm »

Cult Mechanicus: The Biomatter Scorching Apparatus XK-31-Delta is functioning with acceptable operational parameters.

Fix't.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: December 11, 2015, 10:02:11 pm »

Cult Mechanicus: The Biomatter Scorching Apparatus XK-31-Delta is functioning with acceptable operational parameters.

Fix't.

Apply the semi solid lactose derivate and sodium mix with proper care. Miss handling will results in the properly anointed side to fall to the ground 100% of the time. It also results in extermination of the handling subject.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: December 11, 2015, 11:40:32 pm »

... Salty milk?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: December 11, 2015, 11:46:34 pm »

So Holy I Can't Believe It's Butter :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: December 12, 2015, 01:18:38 am »

If we're gonna talk about OP as fuck, we cannot ignore the Ark Mechanicus Speranza, which still has a bit of true DAoT tech on it in the form of a time bending cannon which, guided by the ship's ancient machine spirit, one-shots an Eldar destroyer in the middle of a warpstorm while said destroyer was moving under the guidance of a Farseer's perfect future sight.

This failed because the chrono-weapon was capable of shooting into the past and killing them retroactively, rendering future-sight irrelevant.

Dark Age of Technology, man. Humanity used to give Necrons a run for their money.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: December 12, 2015, 01:21:04 am »

Wasn't that an avatar of the Machine God in disguise or something? Otherwise it doesn't really jive with how the Eldar didn't really consider humanity as more than some random pests in the backwater parts of the galaxy before the Fall.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: December 12, 2015, 01:24:05 am »

Xantalos has a point; how much of this is True CanonTM and how much of it is Dick-Measuring-Author-Contest Canon?

Cuz' there's different levels of Canon in 40k. There's the Canon in which the Emperor sits on his throne, Horus Heresy was a thing, Imperium sits on brink of destruction, and there's the canon where Angron is simultaneously a whiny bitch, a roid raging lunatic, and a noble savage traumatized by his nonadoptive father's callousness.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: December 12, 2015, 01:29:06 am »

Wasn't that an avatar of the Machine God in disguise or something? Otherwise it doesn't really jive with how the Eldar didn't really consider humanity as more than some random pests in the backwater parts of the galaxy before the Fall.
The pre-Fall Eldar were also even more arrogant dumbasses than 40k's Eldar, whom all at least have something resembling restraint after 99% of them were consigned to the sea of dicks. Even the Dark Eldar understand not to play with Slaanesh.

The Eldar Empire contracted in on itself before the end, this was probably orchestrated intentionally by the proto-Slaaneshi Eldar who sought to cause hir birth. As a result, their contact with DAoT Humanity was very limited. But as we can see from Speranza, they might have had other reasons for "ignoring" the mon-keigh.
Xantalos has a point; how much of this is True CanonTM and how much of it is Dick-Measuring-Author-Contest Canon?

Cuz' there's different levels of Canon in 40k. There's the Canon in which the Emperor sits on his throne, Horus Heresy was a thing, Imperium sits on brink of destruction, and there's the canon where Angron is simultaneously a whiny bitch, a roid raging lunatic, and a noble savage traumatized by his nonadoptive father's callousness.
I don't see that as very discongruent, Angron was real fucked up by the Nails. Like anyone else with brain damage, periods of lucidity are possible.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: December 12, 2015, 01:35:24 am »

Seems a really open to interpretation scenario, but also makes sense yeah. Though if the Sperenza could navigate through warp storms with little trouble it brings up the question of why humanity was hamstrung by the storms preceding Slaanesh's birth. Though I suppose you could argue that only AIs as advanced as that of the Sperenza could successfully go through the storms, or that the warp storms preceding the birth of a Chaos God were of far greater intensity than normal or somesuch. Who knows.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 824