Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 968897 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4980 on: July 17, 2016, 03:02:49 pm »

Tau battlesuits have almost the exact ground stance of a Warhound.  That being approximately the ideal basic ground stance of a bipedal machine to facilitate rapid movement.  The models, of course, are very poorly made and fail to reflect even GWs own artistic interpretation of the suit.

Wait really?

Huh. They sorta do. I was never exactly sure how I imagined them moving. Dawn of War made it seem like they were super slow unless jet-packing(which it lumped in as being the same as the Jump Pack troops), which pretty evidently isn't true, JSJ alone serving as evidence why. It's still kinda hard for me to see them as being actually ground based instead of just sorta hovering everywhere or moving almost like a ballerina (always on the tips of their toes), but I think that's because when people model them that's basically always what they do, since making the legs resemble how they would run would probably be fairly difficult. I suspect it's something like running that looks like bounding leaps when using the jetpack to move primarily forward, and more of the 'ballerina' style in combat, when they want to be nimble rather than necessarily sheer speed.

Also, I hadn't even thought of markerlights while reading that article. It's suddenly amazing and hilarious. Although I think before that FAQ came out (last edition? don't remember) Markerlights could 'blind' FMCs and ground them.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4981 on: July 17, 2016, 03:12:43 pm »

Because everything is God Emperor, obviously. Jesus is heresy.

wasn't he him in old fluff? along with many other mythical figures?
Yes. No. Also in current lore.
Sometimes it's mplied but never stated outright for anyone important except for St. George (and possibly someone else, but not Jesus) and he did actually impersonate God and Jesus with his abilities at least once (see Last Church on Terra) and yes, he could have been Jesus, Hitler or basically anyone but it's kinda ridiculous that he would be every noteworthy person that has ever lived.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: July 17, 2016, 03:15:46 pm »

Tau battlesuits have almost the exact ground stance of a Warhound.  That being approximately the ideal basic ground stance of a bipedal machine to facilitate rapid movement.  The models, of course, are very poorly made and fail to reflect even GWs own artistic interpretation of the suit.

Wait really?

Huh. They sorta do. I was never exactly sure how I imagined them moving. Dawn of War made it seem like they were super slow unless jet-packing(which it lumped in as being the same as the Jump Pack troops), which pretty evidently isn't true, JSJ alone serving as evidence why. It's still kinda hard for me to see them as being actually ground based instead of just sorta hovering everywhere or moving almost like a ballerina (always on the tips of their toes), but I think that's because when people model them that's basically always what they do, since making the legs resemble how they would run would probably be fairly difficult. I suspect it's something like running that looks like bounding leaps when using the jetpack to move primarily forward, and more of the 'ballerina' style in combat, when they want to be nimble rather than necessarily sheer speed.

Also, I hadn't even thought of markerlights while reading that article. It's suddenly amazing and hilarious. Although I think before that FAQ came out (last edition? don't remember) Markerlights could 'blind' FMCs and ground them.

Watch district 9, the prawn battleframe very nearly is a crisis battlesuit.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: July 17, 2016, 03:21:13 pm »

Cats, dogs, and most of nature would pretty thoroughly disagree with you.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: July 17, 2016, 03:21:45 pm »

Sure it can. It's even got two separate joints to launch with. I mean, if you don't have a jet pack it might be a bit harder...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4985 on: July 17, 2016, 03:28:27 pm »

Clearly all 40k battlesuits and titans are held aloft by loadsa money

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: July 17, 2016, 04:00:07 pm »

BEKOZZ ORKZ IS ABUV DA OUTDATED NOSHUNS OV ASFETIKKS!!!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: July 17, 2016, 04:52:48 pm »

And Stompas and Gargants have the most reasonable design when they could have had the least.
The WAAAGH only works once it's built. Until then, the Orks are skeptikal of dat big pile o' junk da Mekboyz is makin.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: July 17, 2016, 04:56:23 pm »

Forget the mechs, though. Aircraft is where it really gets stupid. Ork aircraft are actually the most reasonable, with Imperial (and especially Space Marine-specific) ones being outright stupid.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: July 17, 2016, 05:00:01 pm »

Can't argue with that.  You might be able to justify some of the imperial designs by saying that they have such insanely overblown thrust that lift becomes redundant (tho' how aerodynamics becomes redundant is highly questionable), but they still look ridiculous.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: July 17, 2016, 05:14:37 pm »

Tau and Eldar aircraft are...a little better...I mean, they always have the out of "AntiGravity! That's why they're so flat", at least.

Really, I think Orks and Imperials are the only ones who have to care about aerodynamics, and Space Marines just sorta don't anyway. Or armor angling, either, from what I know. Tyranids don't have vehicles, Necrons have Ancient Space Magics, Eldar of all flavors have anti-gravity, so do Tau, Chaos has Evil Space Magics, and even Orks probably only fly because of the WAAAGH! field.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: July 17, 2016, 05:16:06 pm »

And Stompas and Gargants have the most reasonable design when they could have had the least.
The WAAAGH only works once it's built. Until then, the Orks are skeptikal of dat big pile o' junk da Mekboyz is makin.
IF IT DUZZNT LOOK JUNKY, ITZ MISSIN KILLYBITZ.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: July 17, 2016, 06:45:22 pm »

Clearly all 40k battlesuits and titans are held aloft by loadsa money
Tau equipment is similar to ork equipment in that it runs off of pure GREATER GOOD.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: July 17, 2016, 07:42:59 pm »

Most of the flyers in the game look the way they do to fit in with a design theme or aesthetic rather than because of any relation to real world vehicles (with the exception of Ork fliers which are mostly based on early jet planes and later propeller driven aircraft.)

The Stormraven looks like a flying Land Raider because it's the flying equivalent to a Land Raider, and looking similar helps tie the army together on the tabletop.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: July 18, 2016, 12:29:29 am »

Imperial aircraft have all the aerodynamics of a thrown brick with plasma jets strapped to it. Thunderbolts and Marauders IMO look the best, and that's only because they're apein the spitfire look.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:09:40 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 824