Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965356 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #405 on: May 07, 2015, 06:24:58 am »

Are warhammer 40k and warhammer in middle ages in same universe?
Officially, no. But in our minds yes
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 07, 2015, 06:41:06 am »

I think the Imperium might win if....
The Necrons focused on killing the Tyranids
The Orks focused on killing Chaos using a freshly materialised Gork and Mork (thanks to Ghazkull's efforts)
The Eldar succeeded in killing Slaanesh and then invading Commoragh
The Tau stayed as irrelevant as they always are

Magnus has been doing research on the warp for a few millenia now. Assuming he still doesn't like Tzeentch, he could eventually be in a position to seriously damage Chaos in some way, considering he's the 2nd most powerful psyker in all of history. Can someone tell me what Magnus is like at the moment? All I know about him is what I know from TTS.

Was Lord Solar Macharius a better conqueror than Roboute Guilliman? 500 worlds in 7 years in the current state of the Imperium and without a full space marine legion to swing around.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 07, 2015, 06:46:08 am »

The Orks focused on killing Chaos using a freshly materialised Gork and Mork (thanks to Ghazkull's efforts)

Magnus has been doing research on the warp for a few millenia now. Assuming he still doesn't like Tzeentch, he could eventually be in a position to seriously damage Chaos in some way, considering he's the 2nd most powerful psyker in all of history. Can someone tell me what Magnus is like at the moment? All I know about him is what I know from TTS.

Was Lord Solar Macharius a better conqueror than Roboute Guilliman? 500 worlds in 7 years in the current state of the Imperium and without a full space marine legion to swing around.
What? Magnus is on side of Imperium? When did it happen? 
Make love not war

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 07, 2015, 06:56:09 am »

Less on the side of the Imperium and more that he just doesn't like Tzeentch for goading him into breaking Empy's webway project, starting the Horus Heresy, and taking his soul.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 07, 2015, 07:43:37 am »

If they figured out how to make female space marines, would the Imperium gain any significant advantage from essentially doubling the amount of space marines they can produce?
Well... yeah duh they would. Having twice as many space marines is only a bad thing for the enemies of the imperium at this point. Though it wouldn't be enough to make a significant difference on the galactic scale and isn't gonna happen since the gene seed they use to make space marines is incompatible with females because the Emperor distilled them from the genes of the Primarchs, which were all male. If there were a female Primarch, maybe. But there isn't so no.
To be honest? I don't think so, no.

Humans - both men and women - are something the Imperium has in almost endless amounts. It has quadrillions of people. The number of space marines in comparison is nothing but a drop in the ocean in comparison, even if less than 1% of humans can be made in space marines. Of men to make space marines, they have more than enough. They're more limited by the High Lords of Terra than by number of people available.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 07, 2015, 07:56:15 am »

They used to be after a fashion. Back when the settings were just starting out they were both connected by the warp/polar chaos gates, though it wasn't stated if Fantasy was a planet in 40k. You could give Chaos Warriors bolters and power armour and the elves had powerfists and so on. That got retconned away after a while when the settings started to drop their goofiest elements.

About the only thing left from that era is the fact that the Old Ones are ancient gene-modifying aliens in both settings.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 07, 2015, 08:02:01 am »

Magnus still kind of hates the empire due to the destruction of prospero, but he also hates tzeentch because he tricked him into ruining the webway, taking his soul and permanently fucking up his legion, and he's supposedly hurt badly after an altercation with leman russ.

But yea, if Magnus would, you know, actualy show up and stop being a two dimensional character (like pretty much any chaos primarch after games workshop retconned a bunch of shit) then yea, he'd be able to seriously affect the status quo. Hell, he might be the only person alive that can take the emperor's place in the golden throne.

Also in the minds of games workshop, just not officialy. They retconned tons of stuff just to make 40k to remove the warhammer fantasy elements they didn't like, while adding some other elements. This is why necrons are kinda space kemri now, and why squats have apparently ceased to exist/got eaten by tyranids offscreen, and why the Hrud looked like skaven at one point.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 07, 2015, 08:45:18 am »

But so would a Tau Empire if it was about 20x it's current size.

Eeh, I dunno, without a better ways of travel it'd be a huge problem for them. The larger the empire, the more things that can attack it at the same time from different angles, and without a quick way to redeploy forces... Yeah.

Yes, but the Tau are also continuously developing new technology, and what with Merchants able to move at about a third of Imperial average Warp speeds, reliably, consistently, and safely...and from what I can tell, at least, the Kor'Or'Vesh is even faster, as their hulls are actually shaped for diving into the Warp like they do. Slower, yeah, but when you can count on them getting there when they say they're gonna get there almost all the time? It helps. A lot.

The non FTL travel in the latest codex is bullshit for so many reasons.

Also,Andres, the Golden Throne is failing. If the Emperor dies, and he doesn't become a true God, the Astronomicon(aka that thing you use to navigate in the Warp) goes out. So even if all that happened, they'd still lose. But it doesn't matter because it would depend on GW advancing the setting, which is ridiuculously unlikely.

I heard that the Tyranids are running from something.

Also, I'd like to think that the whole 'all space marines are men' thing was done before the great PC war - so I wanna give it a shot at not being tarred with the misogyny brush just yet.
From what I know, they're coming because of the Astronomican; it's like a big beautiful genestealer beacon, but without the genesetealers.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I know GW didn't do it to try and be exclusionary or anything on purpose; it was from the eighties, and space marines are built on a rigid foundation of sheer machismo. But the fluff explanation is bullshit, as it implies that the Space Marine has their testes used for part of the process, and that you need massive amounts of testosterone and androgen in order for the geneseed to grow properly, which doesn't make a great deal of sense if you stop and think about it. But it's always one of the few things they've actually been consistent on in the setting.

As for the Horus Heresy, remember two things; one, that yeah it was definitely at least partially the Emperor's fault, but also keep in mind that those novels present it from the traitor legions viewpoints, most of the time. So of course it will depict them in a better light. He still made bad decisions, but the Emperor wasn't a complete moron.

And finally, Andres, during the Great Crusade, the Imperium took basically all of the million worlds it has now, plus some to account for the many that have been lost. Roboute Guilliman accounted for at least 3-5% of those worlds(counting the Titan Legions, Imperial Army, and other Space Marine Legions), probably more since Logistics was his specialty and he was pretty well organized. That's at least somewhere around 50,000 or so. So no, Macharius was not better than the Mary Sue Primarch.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:48:18 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 07, 2015, 11:43:11 am »

Magnus has been doing research on the warp for a few millenia now. Assuming he still doesn't like Tzeentch, he could eventually be in a position to seriously damage Chaos in some way.
Less on the side of the Imperium and more that he just doesn't like Tzeentch for goading him into breaking Empy's webway project, starting the Horus Heresy, and taking his soul.

Sorry, but it is very unlikely. Someone forgot to tell Magnus that in the fine print of becoming a daemon prince- you also become Super Whipped.
I mean c'mon, Ahriman fucks up the whole legion, Magnus gets in a big red rage, goes to kill him and all it takes is Tzeench going 'Nah', and he tantrums and storms back into his big red tower.
Whipped.

Considering that he hasn't left that tower in a few millennia (Ever since that TERRIBLE attack on Fenris), I can only assume Tzeench has him on a ball and chain up there assembling his staff.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:44:43 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 07, 2015, 11:48:53 am »

It is kind of impossible for them to be in the same universe given some details.

40k doesn't have as awesome a messed up storyline as say... Might and Magic

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 07, 2015, 11:54:08 am »

It is kind of impossible for them to be in the same universe given some details.

Oh well. There's always original Talisman and Timescape.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 07, 2015, 11:57:01 am »

40k doesn't have as awesome a messed up storyline as say... Might and Magic
Hmm, really? I always thought that they were supposed to share a universe, and that that is were the '40k' came from, from the scifi setting being 40 000 years in the future.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 07, 2015, 12:28:30 pm »

I thought it was supposed to be 40,000 years in Our future.

However, far as I know (which isn't always perfect but hey), the End Times in Fantasy ended with basically all of the 'winners' chuffing off to find a new universe to 'play god in'. Geddit?
So i think it's multiple alternate universes and the chaos gods can hop between them.

Which would be freaking HILARIOUS if 40k was one of them and Sigmarr has been stuck inside a corpse for 10,000 years.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 07, 2015, 01:27:47 pm »

It is supposed to be 40,000 years ahead in our future. Many 40k novels reference quotes, figures or things from our history, and usually the attribution reads like "Pre-heresy writings/Ancient Unknown Terran Author, etc..."

I think some chapter I read last night opens with a quote from Paradise Lost.

Also if you've read any of the reaaallllly early Horus Heresy stuff, like prior to the Emperor conquering Earth, most places on Terra are our own continents and governments reimagined. I'd have to go digging to find the specifics, but stuff like the "Pan-Pacific Confederation" etc....before the Emperor put his giant golden boot on the neck of the world.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 07, 2015, 05:20:16 pm »

And finally, Andres, during the Great Crusade, the Imperium took basically all of the million worlds it has now, plus some to account for the many that have been lost. Roboute Guilliman accounted for at least 3-5% of those worlds(counting the Titan Legions, Imperial Army, and other Space Marine Legions), probably more since Logistics was his specialty and he was pretty well organized. That's at least somewhere around 50,000 or so. So no, Macharius was not better than the Mary Sue Primarch.
I specifically mentioned the resources Macharius had for a reason. Yeah Roboute captured 50k worlds but he did it with multiple space marine legions and back then armies had hundreds of Baneblades rather than the 2 or 3 they have now. Not to mention the fact that the Great Crusade lasted a lot longer than 7 years, I think. Considering the resources he had available and the time he did it in, was Macharius better than Guilliman?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 824