Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971858 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #1560 on: September 05, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »

Well, they are kinda religiousy.
To be honest, the later codeces kinda paint them as the ecclisiarchy's whipping boys, rather than the 'give no shit crusaders' that they were in earlier eds.
I could dig them being ecclesiarchy whipping boys if they used that to hype up the extra heresy tension, seeing as how the ecclesiarchy getting too friendly with an above strength chapter sounds suspiciously like violating their no armed men rule.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1561 on: September 06, 2015, 07:37:21 am »

Well, they are kinda religiousy.
To be honest, the later codeces kinda paint them as the ecclisiarchy's whipping boys, rather than the 'give no shit crusaders' that they were in earlier eds.
I could dig them being ecclesiarchy whipping boys if they used that to hype up the extra heresy tension, seeing as how the ecclesiarchy getting too friendly with an above strength chapter sounds suspiciously like violating their no armed men rule.
They aren't "having" them per se, they're just bros, just like Inqusition is bros with Minotaurs and such. I would totally dig an Wh40k spinoff where Black Templars and such finally get too annoyed with Inqusition and gather their friends (they rescued Celestial Lions from "ork snipers" for a reason) to kick some ass and cause second Great Crusade.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 06, 2015, 11:43:05 am »

My main reason for not liking the Black Templars is that they represent the direction of Space Marine I like least. It's a very particular kind of indulgent, murderous psychopathy. And it's not just the grimdarkness of it, because I happen to love other very grimdark things in 40k. My favorite Disorder Vacuum Seamen are hands down the Night Lords (Alpha Legion doesn't count), and as I've said elsewhere I have a particular interest in the Dark Eldar, who are literally the worst.

There's just something that's a very deep turn off about the Black Templar's whole theme that I both can't identify or get over. My gut reaction is that my real-world feelings towards religion are swaying me here, but I like the Puritan Inquisitional factions and the SoB well enough.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1563 on: September 06, 2015, 11:55:23 am »

My main reason for not liking the Black Templars is that they represent the direction of Space Marine I like least. It's a very particular kind of indulgent, murderous psychopathy. And it's not just the grimdarkness of it, because I happen to love other very grimdark things in 40k. My favorite Disorder Vacuum Seamen are hands down the Night Lords (Alpha Legion doesn't count), and as I've said elsewhere I have a particular interest in the Dark Eldar, who are literally the worst.
You wot.
You dislike Black Templars for being "murderous psychopaths" while you like Night Lords (and are interested in Dark Eldar... wat)...
They are literally so "murderous psychopats" that they don't even do it for Chaos, they actually don't even like Chaos. They just like murder, tortures and generally being "murderous psychopats".
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 06, 2015, 11:58:23 am »

No, it's more (I think) that they go around the galaxy killing people not even for religion since they're space marines, but because those people could prove that they were wrong about something and can't have that in the Emperor's armies.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1565 on: September 06, 2015, 12:20:55 pm »

No, it's more (I think) that they go around the galaxy killing people not even for religion since they're space marines, but because those people could prove that they were wrong about something and can't have that in the Emperor's armies.
They go around the Galaxy killing people not even for religion because they're the only SM Chapter that still gives a shit about Great Crusade. Though, I have no fucking idea what do you mean. Examples?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: September 06, 2015, 12:26:11 pm »

Wasn't there a theory about how the Fallen were really the unfallen ones or something, and even if some of them did go to Chaos there's some of them that are just chilling on random planets before the Dark Angels come and kill them and everything else in 50 miles?
Sig! Onol

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1567 on: September 06, 2015, 12:36:36 pm »

What does that have to do with Black Templars? The only thing comes to my mind is that Black Templars Strike Cruiser that went "missing" after investigating Fallen Angels.
Also yeah, I recall that theory, but it's more like some of them didin't fall to Chaos. Fucking Cypher.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: September 06, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »

Wait, we were talking about Black Templars? Whoops, thought the topic was Dark Angels.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1569 on: September 06, 2015, 02:17:25 pm »

There are so many contradictions in here I don't know where to start :P

There's just something that's a very deep turn off about the Black Templar's whole theme that I both can't identify or get over. My gut reaction is that my real-world feelings towards religion are swaying me here, but I like the Puritan Inquisitional factions and the SoB well enough.
If you like the Inquisition then I doubt it's real-world feelings. I think it'd be hilarious if Black Templars lived up to their Templar roots and started banking within the Imperium

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: September 06, 2015, 06:21:22 pm »

It might just be the fact that the Black Templars are effectively hatred given living form and power armor. Night Lords have some other stuff going for them, though mostly it's just fear and terror, and the Inquisition is, in the Imperium as it stands, a necessary institution. While the Black Templars just seem like hate made incarnate. Not even rage, or determination. Just hatred.

At least as far as my impression of them has been.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1571 on: September 06, 2015, 06:34:35 pm »

Ok reading up on the Black Templars I think they may actually be more zealous than the Inquisition, which is saying something
They are the WRRYYYYYYYYYY of the Imperium descended from the most zealous Imperial Fist Marines; they are basically the loyal counterpart to the world eaters or word bearers

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: September 06, 2015, 08:12:59 pm »

Personally all the new lore that GW is putting out/retconning in is really putting me off of 40k in general.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: September 06, 2015, 10:39:11 pm »

When a company is as shit as Geedubs I just take the reins of canon for myself. I decide what's true now!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 07, 2015, 12:01:19 am »

But yeah, many reasons not to like Dark Angels.
They're fun on the tabletop and the models are sexy, but to me they seem a bit washed out.

I mean, "pretends to work for the imperium but really further their own mysterious goals" is pretty much most space marine chapters, if you read according to a few books.
Though that's according to certain fluff and probably ignoring other fluff.
Recently read the Space Wolves novels, iirc at some point an inquisitor dropped by the fang and "requisitioned" some Space Wolves to help him with an investigation and Grimnar basically sent him on his way with the equivalent of a 'Fuck off' and a backhand.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 824