Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971056 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #1845 on: October 11, 2015, 04:51:33 pm »

Tau are 2 slow
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: October 11, 2015, 04:53:03 pm »

Really, if there's no chance of being horribly eaten by daemons, it's just no fun. And who wants to do boring things like that?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1847 on: October 11, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »

Really, if there's no chance of being horribly eaten by daemons, it's just no fun. And who wants to do boring things like that?
Tau don't exactly belive in any deamons (look it up, it's fucking hilarious at times, like when their Commander get angry at "static" in comms when Chaos tryies to contact him) so they proably don't know about the risky route.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: October 11, 2015, 06:25:37 pm »

Their FTL is a fifth the speed the Imperium's(for the Merchant, at least), with a great deal more reliability and safety. It's not so much even a matter of safe route as they can't really use the tentacle-y route. They don't have Astropaths or Navigators, after all. Some probably know about Daemons. But 'knowing' and 'understanding full threat' or 'being able to communicate with' aren't the same thing.

Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: October 12, 2015, 04:35:50 am »

What is machine spirit?
Sometimes it seems, that it is  AI hardwired by dark age of technology guys into the stc for certain things, and that those guys in red robes dont understand, that they have an AI there, or know perfectly about it and just call it machine spirit, so they technically dont break make no AI rule.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: October 12, 2015, 05:09:21 am »

Titans certainly have  machine spirits, which are AIs. The cogboys just don't believe they are.

Whether things like lasguns and metal boxes Rhinos have machine spirits is up for debate.

Abominable Intelligences are certainly banned. But the entire technology base is so messed up its hard to say for sure, since everything is filtered through twenty layers of religion and mysticism.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: October 12, 2015, 07:54:45 am »

So update for tabletop for the rock-lurkers.
Tau recently got their new codex. It comes with a stealth suit which seems to be the mid-way between a Crysis and a Riptide (Stealth>Shrouded bubble yay) and, of course, a super-heavy walker.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: October 12, 2015, 07:56:52 am »

Tau recently got their new codex. It comes with a stealth suit which seems to be the mid-way between a Crysis and a Riptide (Stealth>Shrouded bubble yay) and, of course, a super-heavy walker.

Any interesting new fluff you know off?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: October 12, 2015, 08:17:46 am »

Machine spirits are indeed AI. However they are not the abominable inteligence, that would be your standard "smart AI" ala Cortana from Halo, or HAL from Space Odisey. They are far more simple and must contain relatively few algorithms, focused mainly on the task at hand. Generally that task is war.
Think of a chat bot. But instead of being programmed to annoy you or say stupid things they are programmed for war,  and are far more advanced, but not so much that they develop self conscious or goals of their own. Think of "dumb AI" from Halo.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: October 12, 2015, 08:29:18 am »

Don't add RAM to your gun or it might gain sentience and try to kill you.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: October 12, 2015, 08:30:31 am »

Titan Machine Spirits seem just a smidge more intelligent than that...

Far as I know, they're basically human consciousness that have been uploaded into a machine, and are now many thousands of years old, causing them to be forgetful, crotchety, and half-insane.

Not a walker, by the way, Tack; KX-139 is a Gargantuan Creature, instead.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1856 on: October 12, 2015, 08:50:12 am »

Titan Machine Spirits seem just a smidge more intelligent than that...

Far as I know, they're basically human consciousness that have been uploaded into a machine, and are now many thousands of years old, causing them to be forgetful, crotchety, and half-insane.
Yep.
Mechanicus do make use of regular "AIs" (they're not full AIs mind you) in form of robots that do exactly what is said in their programming and nothing else. IIRC, back in the days if you wanted to use Legio Cybernetica, you had to literally program your minis. And yet, thanks to most of Legio Cybernetica going HERESY during Horus Heresy, they now also require "Datasmiths" that oversee them. So, without direct control and proper programming, Imperial AIs are useless. Their intelligence is about as sophisticated as present-day combat(?) drones.
And since Emperor decreed that full AI is evil, Mechanicus had to make a workaround... you know those skulls Mechanicus put on every thing everywhere? Those are basically brains in jars. Those are what Machine Spirit is. Brains of dead people (though brains of other animals are also used, if the task in question isin't really hard) hardwired into electronics, which is also why Machine Spirits are so fucking picky about everything. Of course, there are some signs that serveral highly-sophisticated Dark Age Of Technology technology (Oldest of spaceships, proably some titans, maybe even Land Raiders) do have "abominable intelligence" inside because Mechanicus have no fucking idea how things work and Big E isin't around to control them.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: October 12, 2015, 08:56:28 am »

Any interesting new fluff you know off?
Sadly haven't read it. If I do, I'll throw it down here.
Would like to know if they've changed Kroot back.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: October 12, 2015, 09:53:39 am »

@Machine spirits: What's this about machine spirits being uploaded humans? Servitors are hardwired organic 'machines' made out of people, but they don't have a lot to do with machine spirits. I don't think what machine spirits are or are not has been defined all that well, anyway - different writers give different portrayals.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1859 on: October 12, 2015, 10:11:51 am »

The exact quote from SM Codex is somewhere around "combination of organic and mechanical components" and it's heavily implied those "organic" parts are human brains or at least parts of those. The difference is that servitors are cyborgs in the sense that they still have more or less of their own body and Machine Spirits are brains in jars, like SS13 AI or something. I recall there was an actual quote on how Emperor did stuff this way but can't really find it since all my sources are shrekt now.
Anyway, it just makes sense, considering how extremly bad memories humanity have, that they still remember Men Of Iron after thousands of years of regression.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 824