Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971803 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2265 on: December 12, 2015, 01:42:01 am »

The Iron Men turned on humanity shortly before the Fall. These events in concert are what caused the Age of Strife and lost almost all DAoT technology. Ships like the Sperenza could well have been the peak of technology that didn't use full AI, or perhaps the surviving Ark Mechanicus are the few AI who chose to both remain servants of humanity and pretend to be machine spirits as to not be destroyed for fear of rebellion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: December 12, 2015, 01:47:27 am »

Ah right, Iron Men. I haven't considered them in a while.
Hmm...that'll be a right surprise for them I reckon.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: December 12, 2015, 02:08:51 am »

No, MetalSlimeHunt

I mean how he's (basically) all of them simultaneously, throughout the entire (leadup to the) Horus Heresy, if you accept Black Library as canon and know the right books.

Sidenote/observation: I still don't get why humanity, which hasn't been around nearly as long as the Eldar, from what I can tell, created three Chaos Gods on one dinky planet, when they have lower psychic potential than Eldar. (also if you buy the Shaman fusing story of the Emperor; I wonder if the Eldar ever did something like that, and it just eventually got bored after it won and went off into the webway)

Shouldn't the Eldar's previous wars/bloodshed, on galactic-ish levels, have been able to start Khorne?

Is it that all of those emotions, up until the Fall, went towards their specific gods, rather than floating aimlessly and malevolently?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: December 12, 2015, 02:15:26 am »

I'd guess that the other three Chaos Gods just kinda naturally came into being over time as a result of sentient species existing. Slaanesh probably would have been created ... eventually, but the Eldar kinda massively sped that up. After all, no one else had this gigantic empire to do debauched shit with.

As for the Emperor, I recall it being implied that he stole a crapton of power from the gods on a planet called Molech, which is why they hate him so much. Before then he was *just* an immortal super-powerful psyker.
Sig! Onol

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: December 12, 2015, 02:21:20 am »

No, MetalSlimeHunt

I mean how he's (basically) all of them simultaneously, throughout the entire (leadup to the) Horus Heresy, if you accept Black Library as canon and know the right books.
I'm aware, but that's how I reconcile the multiple portrayals. I think it paints a more interesting character overall.

Sidenote/observation: I still don't get why humanity, which hasn't been around nearly as long as the Eldar, from what I can tell, created three Chaos Gods on one dinky planet, when they have lower psychic potential than Eldar. (also if you buy the Shaman fusing story of the Emperor; I wonder if the Eldar ever did something like that, and it just eventually got bored after it won and went off into the webway)

Shouldn't the Eldar's previous wars/bloodshed, on galactic-ish levels, have been able to start Khorne?

Is it that all of those emotions, up until the Fall, went towards their specific gods, rather than floating aimlessly and malevolently?
Depends upon what you accept as true about the Warp. The really up to date canon is that humanity didn't create the Chaos Gods at all, but rather roused them from a period of dormancy. They were created gradually following the conclusion of the War in Heaven, in which the horrific trauma of the war in general coupled with the deaths of the Old Ones corrupted the currents of what was the Realm of Souls into the Warp. These currents coalesced into daemons, which built upon one another in common themes, the three most powerful of which were violence, change, and despair.

These are of course more like spheres of those aspects, leading to the alternate interpretations of courage, hope, and love.

Throughout the millions of years since then, Khorne, Nurgle, and Tzeentch went through cycles of ascendancy and decendancy with the rise and fall of the races they corrupted. Though both the Eldar and Necrons existed through all of this, the Eldar by and large knew enough warpcraft to essentially ignore them and the Necrons are very warp-stilling in general.

And so it was after so very long that on one cycle of the Great Game the Chaos Gods found themselves roused by the flares of thought and feeling by an unknown world in a forgotten corner of the galaxy. Khorne, awoken by the passion for blood and conquest by a man riding to war. Nurgle, awoken by the despondency and surrender of millions suffering the wake of the rats. Tzeentch, awoken by the thirst for change and knowledge, packaged into ever more efficient data by a society driven to the extremes of thought.

And this time, they found things very interesting indeed. The rest is history.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: December 12, 2015, 02:24:43 am »

No, MetalSlimeHunt

I'm aware, but that's how I reconcile the multiple portrayals. I think it paints a more interesting character overall.
I'm usually content to lurk in this thread, but I gotta ask: Can you manage the same thing with the SoB after what was done to their lore?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: December 12, 2015, 02:26:14 am »

No, MetalSlimeHunt

I'm usually content to lurk in this thread, but I gotta ask: Can you manage the same thing with the SoB after what was done to their lore?
If we're talking about the everything Ward did, I just ignore it. Otherwise I'm not familiar, the SoB are probably the faction I'm least familiar with or interested in.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: December 12, 2015, 02:40:02 am »

Nah. I mean, Ward's shit is Ward's shit, but a lot of related stuff was murder-wank in published third-party fluff. But the Codex update nerfed a bunch of their shit and took a big chunk of their units away, and additionally removed the inducted-unit rules loophole that helped fill out their lineup.

I mean, I don't play 40K on tabletop and I never bloody will because Fuck GW, but it still annoys me by proxy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: December 12, 2015, 02:58:00 am »

Ah. I essentially know nothing about the original tabletop wargame, I'm entirely a product of the roleplaying lines and the love of both baroque and gothic architecture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: December 12, 2015, 03:33:17 am »

Same here, pretty much. Got drawn in because of the Necrons, stayed 'cause of Fantasy and the implications of the cosmology.
Sig! Onol

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2275 on: December 12, 2015, 07:08:45 am »

them weren't that really into souls, maybe except the Orks but then you could argue that Gork and Mork are true Chaos Gods, but that they just don't really care and just make shit work for Orks because WAAAAAGHH effect.

I don't even have money to buy anything too, but I'm still here for the massive balls of Imperial Guard, Sisters Of Battle, Imperial Knights, Adeptus Mechanicus, Rogue Traders, Arbitres, Adeptus Titanicus and by some extent the smaller balls of Space Marines, Inqusition, Imperial Navy, various Officio Assassinorum agents. Also the miniature tiny balls of Grey Knights and most of Custodes.

For me the reason that Humanity started three of them was that we had basically no knowledge about Warp stuff. Eldar proably shielded themselves somehow and the rest of
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: December 12, 2015, 07:12:07 am »

I got caught the moment I saw the intro of Dawn of War. What's not to love about it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAH7kGEqic
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: December 12, 2015, 03:07:11 pm »

Bold bruva Boreahl sacrificing his forces and ONE DREADNOUGHT  to plant the flag.  :P ( however, this was much more epic then : good guys shot all the orks with accurate bolter shots and won with no casaulties)

Wondering, how 3 d printers becoming avialible to general public will affect GW money flow.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2278 on: December 12, 2015, 03:14:30 pm »

Bold bruva Boreahl sacrificing his forces and ONE DREADNOUGHT  to plant the flag.  :P ( however, this was much more epic then : good guys shot all the orks with accurate bolter shots and won with no casaulties)

Wondering, how 3 d printers becoming avialible to general public will affect GW money flow.
For now (well, I did the math like six months ago, things may have changed) it's still usually cheaper to get your figurines from GW, you have to either print bigger vehicles or a lot of units for it to be cheaper. And then there's still cost of the printer.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: December 12, 2015, 05:37:26 pm »

I got hooked into 40k by reading about the Emperor. He's actually quite a unique character.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 824