Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965573 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4740 on: July 06, 2016, 02:16:18 pm »

Game itself isn't bad buuuuut the amount of effort and monies you have to put into it (including the effort of finding other people that also put the same amount or even more effort into it to play with) is just not very cost effective to me. Lore is pretty interesting and I don't have to spend unreasonable amounts of $$$$ to enjoy it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4741 on: July 06, 2016, 02:18:17 pm »

40k is legitimately just too expensive to maintain, you have to have russian oligarchy monies to keep at it. That or a 3D printer/based chinaman

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: July 06, 2016, 02:20:29 pm »

People really aren't kidding when they say that a heroin addiction is much cheaper, funner, and more rewarding.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: July 06, 2016, 02:34:23 pm »

For those with a stronger knowledge of the game and prices itself, I have a question.

How much would a decent sized army of space marines (to go with the benchmark) actually cost? Perhaps unable to fight the largest battles but a decent size. Arbitrary, I know, but I've never really looked into playing the game itself.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: July 06, 2016, 02:47:19 pm »

For those with a stronger knowledge of the game and prices itself, I have a question.

How much would a decent sized army of space marines (to go with the benchmark) actually cost? Perhaps unable to fight the largest battles but a decent size. Arbitrary, I know, but I've never really looked into playing the game itself.

An Aussie player on another forum I frequent did some maths on building decent, not great but decent, lists on a budget.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20871663&postcount=1

The BoaB guides are under army building guides in that post.

He worked out a 1850 point DA marine army costing $513 in Australian dollars. Most games run between 1000 and 2000 points and a lot of the stuff would still be useful in smaller and larger games.

He never did a vanilla marines BoaB guide, but based on the DA and BA guides loyalist marines tend towards being on the cheaper side of things, hovering around $500-$600 AUD (obviously needs adjusted for local currency exchange rates and things.)

I tend to think of a simple army as costing about as much as a new games console plus 3 or 4 newly released games. You can go much cheaper of course, it's possible to build a 2000 point CSM list for about £140 or so using formations and models from the Dark Vengeance box bought off ebay. All Helbrutes. It's not good, but it's cheap, and it may occasionally win by being gimmicky.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: July 06, 2016, 02:53:30 pm »

Goodness and to think I watched an anime where the guy who introduced cheap, affordable, and disposable models so that anyone could play to an overly elitist sport that costs a ton... Was the villain (never going to get over that).

And to think if I was playing Warhammer 40k I'd probably want a selection of armies.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: July 06, 2016, 02:54:03 pm »

I've never seen anything even slightly compelling about the mainstream tabletop. The only 40k i have any interest in at all is the FFG series', not the "main game"

I do like killteams, and am currently in the "buildem" phase of agorkamorka game.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: July 06, 2016, 03:29:37 pm »

I've probably spent a couple of grand on 40k over the past 8/9 years.

Got to say it's a much better way to spend the money than drinking or World of Warcraft imo.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: July 06, 2016, 03:45:35 pm »

Maybe less orks, too, but when you have truly overwhelming firepower, they aren't much of a problem, because you obliterate them before they get large enough to be an issue, or you just go around if you hit something too large to destroy in any reasonable amount of time, and establish a cordon. Slows you down less, and Empy seemed rather focused on speed.
There weren't less orks, there were more orks. More advanced too, to the point that power armour was relatively common in orkish armies back then. The Emperor was focused on speed because the orks had had 5k years without the Eldar or humanity to cull them and had grown extremely powerful, so they needed to be killed and killed quickly. The Emperor's life was saved by Horus when he was getting choked by an ork, the Emperor saved the life of a few Primarchs after they and their armies had been cornered by orks (losing only 3 of his men), and the greatest campaign of the Great Crusade was the Ullanor Crusade which was fought against orks.

Goodness and to think I watched an anime where the guy who introduced cheap, affordable, and disposable models so that anyone could play to an overly elitist sport that costs a ton... Was the villain (never going to get over that).

And to think if I was playing Warhammer 40k I'd probably want a selection of armies.
What anime is that?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4749 on: July 06, 2016, 03:47:52 pm »

I picked a 1500pt tourney list for regular spehss marines for this

HQ
Space Marine Captain equipped with artificer armour, [1], 110pt, £18. Provides solid HQ with decent CQC against rival warlords
[Most people pick Librarians over Captains, as Librarians pack more utility and firepower than Captains, at a tradeoff for survivability]

Troop
Tactical squad one equipped with plasma cannon, one equipped with plasma gun, [10], 140pt, £25
Tactical squad one equipped with plasma cannon, one equipped with plasma gun, [10], 140pt, £25
Backbone of the army, captures objectives and deals with most light and medium vehicles/MEQ decently, poses a serious threat to heavy vehicles (but likewise vulnerable to demolisher cannon/plasma and equivalents, especially as this list lacks transport)

Elites
Sternguard equipped with 5 combimeltas, [5], 160pt, £30 (but you will have to buy more combimelta bits separately)
Evaporates MEQ and most vehicles foolish enough to get too close
For transport the Sternguard get a dropod [1], 35pt, £22.50, in order to get close to juicy targets

Dreadnought, 2-twin linked autocannons [1], 130pt, £28
Dreadnought, 2-twin linked autocannons [1], 130pt, £28
(Evaporate MEQs, infantry, light vehicles and in a pinch, fliers)

Heavy
Devastator squad, 4 missile launcher [5], 70pt, £28
Devastator squad, 4 missile launcher [5], 70pt, £28
(Makes more stubborn things like heavy vehicles and monstrous creatures explode)

Stormraven gunship, twin linked lascannon & twin linked multimelta [1], 200pt, £50
(Anti-air and vehicle patrol)

Buildings:
Aegis Defence Line, quad cannon, I dunno how many points this is as I never got stronghold assault, but it's £22.50

Speaking of which
Codex: Strondhold Assault, £20
Codex: Space Marines, £35
40k rules: £50 (packaged with loads of other fluff you may or may not want but have to buy with the rules anyways

So that comes up to £410 before paint, glue, brushes, clips and extra bits GW is kind enough to offer you at ripoff prices in pots that break easily so you have to keep wasting money. Not to mention that using paint and glue bought from other stores inside of GW stores is verboten, even if the store assistants themselves use normal glue and paint like normal people
And this is for one of the most affordable factions mind you, horde armies, superheavies and anything from forge world will require years of accumulation

Don't even get started on cases

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:45:03 pm by Loud Whispers »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: July 06, 2016, 06:26:35 pm »

Yeah, see, not only do I not have the cash to play the tabletop, I honestly don't find the tabletop to be suuuper interesting? It's not my sort of game. I do however love the RPGs, they're great.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: July 06, 2016, 07:11:02 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAy0N-lFGFc

Dawn of War 3 e3 narrated gameplay. Just leaving it here.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: July 06, 2016, 07:49:51 pm »

I'm sorry, that art just doesn't look grimdark gothic enough.
Maybe it would work for great crusade stuff, but I don't like it.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: July 06, 2016, 07:51:10 pm »

Game's workshop is actually losing money if you also factor in inflation.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4754 on: July 06, 2016, 07:53:25 pm »

Game's workshop is actually losing money if you also factor in inflation.
And that they're maintaining stagnancy whilst factoring in increased revenue from games licensing to successful vidya gaems (meaning revenue from the games themselves are not just stagnating, but decreasing)
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 824