Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965391 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4830 on: July 11, 2016, 07:23:42 am »

GW made the Squats back in 1st edition 40k, then when they were re-writing stuff for 2nd edition none of the designers could face trying to update Squats into a form they didn't find embarrassing, so they let them fade into obscurity for ages then eventually decided to have them nommed by 'nids in the fluff so people would stop bugging them about a codex update.

Because that is always a GREAT thing people do: The second something becomes irrelevant you can immediately kill them off, sometimes in very gruesome and disrespectful ways in order to appease anyone who could have possibly been fans as well as respect the history of the series as a whole.

Looks like GW has learned some lessons from Marvel and DC... Impressive.

But I dunno... couldn't they have done something even more disrespectful at the same time?

Ohh yes! that is right! They created a Tau faction meant to replace them. Which given that they killed off the Squats... yeah :P

--

I am not personally miffed. This is just a REALLY poor attitude for creators to take with their work and I am honestly tired of it in other mediums.

There is a reason why in Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People 3: Dangeresk 3. I actually LOVED the idea of "Retirement Island" a place where sidekicks go where IF you can retire and go there... You are granted immunity to being killed off.

---

Another example? One of the creators of Fallout stated that the talking deathclaws in the 2nd game died out completely... Because he didn't like the idea of talking animals. (now THAT cheesed me off... if only because they did so well on them and actually made them imposing and almost mystical as they could see your past crimes)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: July 11, 2016, 08:07:45 am »

The Squats were Space Dwarves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: July 11, 2016, 08:18:35 am »

GW couldn't come up with a way to make the squats cool/unique and not IG with different stats and tanks, so they asploded them and made up a lore friendly excuse. Which is kinda sad, since even if they didn't have any uniqueness to them people would still likely play them.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: July 11, 2016, 11:00:42 am »

Also they somewhat returnes in the form of the Demirurg, which are alien squats witha passion for mining and trade. On TT they are present only in BFG as Tau allies.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: July 11, 2016, 11:46:44 am »

Yeah they had a dev write up a huge post or something on why Squats were actually terrible. It was a pretty convincing read.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: July 11, 2016, 11:50:19 am »

Space elves, no space dwarves. And when we had dwarves, they were just mutant humans, while space elves are ancient super wise "superior" beings. Clearly biased.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: July 11, 2016, 12:10:55 pm »

Space elves, no space dwarves. And when we had dwarves, they were just mutant humans, while space elves are ancient super wise "superior" beings. Clearly biased.
And then there's space orcs, who are even more superior, and space mummies at the top of the superior chain. Much later, space animes were added to the bottom of the chain.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: July 11, 2016, 02:08:05 pm »

Eh, better than the 'Space Good' and 'Space Evil' whose battle stirred up the 'Space More Evil'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: July 11, 2016, 02:54:13 pm »

I think you should go read the Silmarillion

Might make for an interesting discovery
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4839 on: July 11, 2016, 03:06:31 pm »

Let's all go on a thrilling simarrilion adventure
no hobbits allowed

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: July 11, 2016, 03:30:26 pm »

Holy shit, I love those Tau vs Imperium discussions.
It is the 2nd Millennium. For more than a few years Radio Controlled has sat immobile on the Lurker Throne of WH40k discussion thread. He is the Master of Forumkind by the will of the mods, and master of a million posts by the might of his inexhaustible will. He is a plotting lurker writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of 2014. He is the Carrion OP of the Thread for whom a thousand derails are sacrificed every day, so that the thread may never truly die.
Damn straight.

Anyways, kinda late to the party, but I saw that the Tau vs Imperium discussion got a little heated at some point. It didn't boil over though, so I'll be stashing the electrowhips for now and just keep it to a friendly but stern reminder to keep the cool at all times.

Always remember:
-A generous heart is the gift of the Emperor.-
Saint Emelia, Precepts.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: July 11, 2016, 06:51:44 pm »

Because that is always a GREAT thing people do: The second something becomes irrelevant you can immediately kill them off, sometimes in very gruesome and disrespectful ways in order to appease anyone who could have possibly been fans as well as respect the history of the series as a whole.
It was the best thing they could've done. The squats were an embarassment that needed to be removed from the franchise permanently. The way they did it was lore-consistent and without fuss, which was the ideal way to handle them.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: July 11, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »

It is the best thing they could do. The Tau are an embarassment that need to be removed from the franchise permanently. The way they'll do it will be lore-consistent and without fuss, which is the ideal way to handle them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: July 11, 2016, 06:58:29 pm »

It is the best thing they could do. The Tau are an embarassment that need to be removed from the franchise permanently. The way they'll do it will be lore-consistent and without fuss, which is the ideal way to handle them.
Squats fired.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: July 11, 2016, 07:04:13 pm »

do me a favor here and just go find a nice hole to die in <3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 824