Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965365 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5040 on: July 23, 2016, 12:06:25 am »

Necrons don't really want to fight, do they? I dunno.

The Necron are on an unknown timer that once it strikes 0 they will wake up and pretty much wipe out all their competition.

They and the Tyranids are essentially the time limit. (The Tyranids being a soft time limit and the Necron being a hard time limit)

If no one else wins... The Tyranids or the Necron win.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: July 23, 2016, 12:22:41 am »

Nids. Tau have literally no chance, due to their still small, unimportant status (Fuck you, GW) and the fact that the 'nids are right up their arse.
Imperium... Or anyone but 'crons stand no chance.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5042 on: July 23, 2016, 01:09:46 am »

In short - anyone you want. Except Tau because fuck Tau.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: July 23, 2016, 01:44:12 am »

Nids can get Chaos'd?
'Cos if so only necrons can fight it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: July 23, 2016, 01:49:44 am »

Nids don't have the diversity of thought to be corrupted by Chaos.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: July 23, 2016, 02:16:16 am »

The question you should be asking is if Chaos can be nommed. :P
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: July 23, 2016, 02:42:53 am »

Nids don't have the diversity of thought to be corrupted by Chaos.
What if someone gets an athame in the hivemind?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: July 23, 2016, 02:47:27 am »

I don't think it really matters. Chaos has nothing to offer the Tyranids. They have what they want, and Chaos doesn't offer that which they crave. Chaos is essentially a human faction, and the Nids are just too alien to match desire with them.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: July 23, 2016, 03:07:09 am »

...Not really? Can anyone reliably defeat the Tyranids or Necrons? If no, they lose. So fuck literally everyone but those two. In fact I'd say it comes down to a fight between those two.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: July 23, 2016, 03:07:49 am »

Everyone goes on about how Necrons and Tyranids are the only time limit faction and the only ones who can win, but people always forget the other big time limit to win faction: the Imperium. Humanity is evolving into a fully psychic race and once they do, they'll gain the same power that the Eldar held during their prime. Not only will everyone gain psychic strength, everyone will gain stable psychic strength, which means Chaos will have a more difficult time overpowering their mental defences and corrupting their souls. Humanity is so numerous that Alpha Pluses would become a reality, giving the Imperium a weapon that no Hive Fleet or C'tan shard or Greater Daemon could hope to match.

The Emperor just has to survive long enough for this to become a reality.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:11:58 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: July 23, 2016, 03:16:53 am »

...Not really? Can anyone reliably defeat the Tyranids or Necrons? If no, they lose. So fuck literally everyone but those two. In fact I'd say it comes down to a fight between those two.

If they were both awake the Necrons win. The Necrons basically need to be defeated while they are still in their dormant state... which is easier said than done.

While the Tyranids are a constant non-stop hoard eroding the boarders of the galaxy.

Everyone goes on about how Necrons and Tyranids are the only time limit faction and the only ones who can win, but people always forget the other big time limit to win faction: the Imperium. Humanity is evolving into a fully psychic race and once they do, they'll gain the same power that the Eldar held during their prime. Not only will everyone gain psychic strength, everyone will gain stable psychic strength, which means Chaos will have a more difficult time overpowering their mental defences and corrupting their souls. Humanity is so numerous that Alpha Pluses would become a reality, giving the Imperium a weapon that no Hive Fleet or C'tan shard or Greater Daemon could hope to match.

The Emperor just has to survive long enough for this to become a reality.

I think the Imperium would win straight up before that happens. Since the setting is pretty explicit that not only are they stagnant but they are suffering from technological regression (I originally just thought they were stagnant but people told me that no... they lost tech too).

Well SORT OF... I think they are writing towards having a Human + Ork alliance be the final victors.\

But fine the Imperium do have that but I'll call it their "Final lap". Orks have one too (where they will spawn their two gods)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:26:49 am by Neonivek »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: July 23, 2016, 03:28:29 am »

Orks? They're currently spiralling up in a pretty big Waaagh! under Ghazzy at the moment in the fluff, and we've seen the insane shit they pull if they have enough time to escalate - planet battleships that tear apart planets to build other ships, Dreadnought-sized grunts with sophisticated arms and armor, competent tactics, the ability to conduct diplomacy, and a bunch of other shit that happens in the Beast Arises books - and according to a Harlequin from those books, those Orks are a pale shadow of the Krork at their high point. Apparently the Eldar somehow beat this at the height of their power, but that's long past, the Necrons wouldn't be able to beat them since they don't have C'Tan support anymore, and we've already seen the Orks as they are now give Hive Fleet Leviathan pause - it'd likely be a far sight easier for the Krork once they've grown enough, and if they keep spiralling up like they do so far, the numbers factor of the 'nids wouldn't really do anything besides give the Krork more cannon fodder.

Of course this is assuming no one headcaps Ghazzy before they really get going, which knowing GW is iffy but possible.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: July 23, 2016, 03:28:57 am »

The characterization of the Necrons is off. The Oldcrons would indeed have easily defeated everything short of the Imperium rediscovering Dark Age tech. The Newcrons technically could do the same, but they aren't a monolith anymore. The Necrons don't have any organization larger than dynasties now, and even the members of those dynasties often don't get along due to a million years of failed disc defragging.

They'd fight each other for control of the "Empire" more than any outsiders if they all woke up.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: July 23, 2016, 03:30:43 am »

The characterization of the Necrons is off. The Oldcrons would indeed have easily defeated everything short of the Imperium rediscovering Dark Age tech.

Given their description... I'd question if even then.

I don't know if the Necrons have even taken any real casualties.

As for Infighting, maybe... but at that point it is still Necron's game.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: July 23, 2016, 03:34:17 am »

It's not. Their infighting is worse than any other possible infighting because it isn't just fulled by an immortal conflict going back all the way to the Necrontyr, but the vast majority of the players are no longer sane.

They aren't rational actors. Even the Orks are rational actors, in their own Orky way. Plenty of the Necron Lords just plain cannot control themselves or have a...questionable interpretation of reality. As such, their infighting would be both ferocious and unending, due to the whole immortality thing. The Newcrons literally have no way of ever organizing into the Empire again, they wouldn't even be able to afford ever paying attention to the other races.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 824