Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971222 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #6165 on: August 31, 2016, 06:04:29 pm »

Lack of phylactery, for one. And he's not really a Lich because he needs to have his body on life support (so, he is technically ALIVE, but very, very barely), the devoured souls only help him power The Giant Fucking Flashlight On Terra, or at best help him keep his soul in one piece.

In the grim darkness of the distant future, D batteries are long forgotten, and the Flashlight of the Astronomican must be powered by the souls  a thousand butchered witches.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6166 on: August 31, 2016, 06:14:50 pm »

He's not extending the lifespan by eating souls, He's extending it by life-support of Golden Throne. The souls serve to power Astronomican.
Though, the wikis do state that recently the Golden Throne requires more souls to maintain optimal power levels, but I am not sure if it means the life support systems or The Flashlight, since Golden Throne is a part of Astronomican.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: August 31, 2016, 10:55:58 pm »

He's not extending the lifespan by eating souls, He's extending it by life-support of Golden Throne. The souls serve to power Astronomican.
Though, the wikis do state that recently the Golden Throne requires more souls to maintain optimal power levels, but I am not sure if it means the life support systems or The Flashlight, since Golden Throne is a part of Astronomican.

I'm fairly certain it meant Emps went from 98% dead to 99% dead.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: September 01, 2016, 01:41:15 am »

Wrong.
Wrong.
Wrong.
Wrong.
Missed the whole first half.

- "Sup dude, you're gonna lead my armies come with me."
- "Uh. I'm kind of in the middle of a slave rebellion here, wanna help me out?."
- "Not really. Ain't my place to interfere in these guys stuff. Besides, you're my son and I care more about you."
- "Well if I come with you, that IS interfering, so how 'bout you bring my bonded-in-blood slave-family along too?"
- "Mmm.. Sorry Angron but I've got a bigger, better army up here for you to lead. So I don't really need any gladiators."
- "What the fuck! You seriously have no desire to punish the guy who enslaved your son his whole life?"
- "Funny you mention that, I actually made a deal with him that I could take you if I let him slaughter all your friends."
- "Well you're shit. Fuck you, I'm staying down here with my real family."
- "Haha. Oh buddy you thought it was a choice" *ZOOP*
- "... I am going to my room now. Leave me the fuck alone."
- "Check it, it's your new first captain! Isn't he so much better than all those guys I let die? By the way your previous owner is the planetary governor now."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:44:03 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: September 01, 2016, 01:43:57 am »

For some reason I now crave an in-depth version of Angron's whole story. Call it Angron Kills.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: September 01, 2016, 03:13:12 am »

In other news they're re-releasing kill teams (Maybe got sick of HoR making a straight-up better ruleset)

The thing which twigged for me however is this:
No 2+ armour saves allowed, no vehicles or models with more than three wounds / HP and a vehicle may not have more than 33 armour (add F + S + R together).
So, great, no terminators or ogryns.
But that also means no kroot shapers or farseers.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: September 01, 2016, 06:48:47 am »

Shapers only have three wounds, you're fine on that front. And I'm pretty sure ogryns would be fine by that metric as well.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: September 01, 2016, 08:18:21 am »

Oh- More than. I thought it said equal to... M'bad

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: September 01, 2016, 08:48:43 am »

(i.e., before he ever had a speaking part.)

Is this cannon?  He now communicates via physical means?

Yes. When you say "now" it implies it's the only way he communicates. He uses the full gamut of communication skills. Verbal (usually written as though GOD is talking at you), dreams, telepathy, projection.....

I think the one instance I liked the least was when Dorn and Malcador were in a room in the Imperial Palace arguing and then the Emperor just kind of materializes from a wall and Starts talking in bold and italics, for puny unformatted text cannot capture his sheer dynamism.

The Space Marines never could have taken down the Emperor. Hell, the Horus Heresy as a whole almost failed. Only that critical point of using Horus emotionally against the Emperor allowed him to be struck down. And besides that, the Space Marines never would have had the corruption rates they did if not for the Primarchs to convince them. The HH with every Legion having the defection rates of the loyal ones would not be too impressive.

1,000,000 Astartes could over run the Imperial palace. If HH 40k has proven anything, it's that no one is safe. No one is invulnerable. Even Vulkan, even the Emperor. I get this image of a mountain on Space Marine dead piled on top of the Emperor as he just kind of stabs and psychic blasts his way to the top, only to have more pile on.

It's 40k's obsession with epic duels that leads us to think you just can't kill some people. Before it turns right around and show that enough bolts and/or blades will get the job done on just about anyone. I'm pretty sure if you decapitated the Emperor he might still be around in an energy manifestation or spirit form but his time on the physical plane would more or less be done just like anyone else. He's a Perpetual just like Grammaticus but he doesn't have Eldar constantly raising him from the dead.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:54:24 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: September 01, 2016, 09:07:24 am »

Lucien the eternal?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: September 01, 2016, 09:25:05 am »

Lucien the eternal?

Actually was killed. Brought back to life IIRC. The Horus Heresy is fucking lousy with people coming back from the dead.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: September 01, 2016, 10:40:06 am »

Lucius whole schtick is resurrective immortality, not actually being unkillable. If you threw 10,000 Astartes at him, you'd end up with like 1,000 Astartes corpses, 9,000 Lucius corpses, and one living Lucius.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: September 01, 2016, 10:43:49 am »

how is resurrection explained, exactly?

Thats probably one of my big gripes with the lore.

The setting is fantasy, with a real claim in sci-fi and consistent rules/lore.  Then suddenly salamander bodies everywhere
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: September 01, 2016, 10:53:06 am »

Hand-waived. Vulkan comes back naturally I suppose due to his connection with the Earth and genetics and....something.

John Grammaticus keeps getting resurrected by the unexplained and unqualified power of the Cabal.

Lucien keeps getting resurrected by the power of Chaos and Slaaneesh.

Various characters in the actual 41st Millennium get resurrected by the power of Chaos and Nurgle pretty regularly. (They just come back a little drippy.)

Resurrection is one of those lines a story world/universe crosses and can never come back from. 40k crossed it a while ago but it was kept fairly rare. In the HH books, it features heavily with several characters though. At least Vulkan's resurrections serve a purpose and are narratively interesting. I get a little sick of John Grammaticus' whiny schtick though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:47:13 am by nenjin »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: September 01, 2016, 10:58:52 am »

Ressurection is complely possible as long as the warp is a thing. One could say that a powerful enough psyker that gets killed and somehow survives enough time in the warp could prob bring himself back to the materium, much like greater daemons do. This is why dem pointy (relevant) humies have this nasty tendency to come back after being killed, because they're usualy backed by chaos, meaning their soul can linger in the warp until the chaos gods feel like sending them back to the materium for shits and giggles.

In the horus heresy its almost forgivable given the people involved in it and how important it was to chaos. Its never been properly explained how perpetuals and the cabal do it. Vulkan does it because thats apparently just his thing.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 410 411 [412] 413 414 ... 824