Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971683 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: wait, 40K has religious overtones?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
« Reply #6540 on: September 14, 2016, 03:43:58 pm »

Winged Hussars regiment.
You know you want it.

Rough Rider units that must always start the game in reserve
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: September 14, 2016, 04:02:21 pm »

Winged Hussars regiment.
You know you want it.
You and your Poland, SMH.
But yeah...
I kinda do want. And I could make it work. Rough Riders, Cavalry Mounts, Choleric or Sanguine commander, Feudal World, Warrior Weapons...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6542 on: September 14, 2016, 04:35:13 pm »

I have been making my own snowflake special Winged Hussars regiment with story and art and shit since... forever.

Armoured plows on horses, dual-wielding hell-pistols, lances with explosive tips, familliar psyber(ish)-eagles, carapace armour and... they're doomed because they fucked their world into non-existence so now the whole noble populace that ran away is on a penitence crusade against kebab heretics. I wanted to throw in so much shit to reference Poland (example - women in army, a lot of them - this was a thing during the latter Polish uprisings because most men simply died out so women had to also take up arms, explained in-universe by the fact that their planet got rekt), maybe some Cossacks and lighter cavalry to serve as scouts, maybe some tanks there and there to also make cavalry charges and whatnot.

I know this would proably not work with the rules due to sheer point cost of what I would want and whatnot, but fuck that, bling of war.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: September 14, 2016, 04:51:27 pm »

That seems more like several regiments than one regiment. :P

Plus you forgot the part where they were taken over by the Tau for a while
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: September 14, 2016, 04:58:51 pm »

Can't throw no stones there. I did the same with Space Caroleans. Stoic, Emperor-fearing, blue-coated fighters in steadily advancing ranks that would make a Mordian proud. I'm pretty tempted to dust those off and continue working on it one of these days.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6545 on: September 14, 2016, 05:02:37 pm »

Eh, why?

And the general idea was that they indeed fucked up due to heresy/Tau/whatever but they decided to do it the Krieg way - they nuked their planet basically... except they nuked it for good.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: September 15, 2016, 02:02:17 am »

Eh, why?

And the general idea was that they indeed fucked up due to heresy/Tau/whatever but they decided to do it the Krieg way - they nuked their planet basically... except they nuked it for good.

In grim darkness of future poland can in nuclear destruction.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: September 15, 2016, 04:28:26 am »

Eh, why?

The planetary governor decided to detonate a smuggled nuclear warhead as the rebels closed in on his palace, decapitating the army. However, little did he know that he was actually in posession of a Cyclonic Torpedo's business end.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: September 15, 2016, 07:40:29 am »

Well, goodbye Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Only War, Black Crusade, Deathwatch, Fantasy Roleplaying... Fantasy Flight and GW are breaking up.

Hrmh. I wonder if GW will give the rights to 40k RPGs to someone else now. Get the books while you can, this ship is goin' down.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: September 15, 2016, 08:06:30 am »

Half of the books have been out of stock forever?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: September 15, 2016, 08:15:30 am »

Well, goodbye Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Only War, Black Crusade, Deathwatch, Fantasy Roleplaying... Fantasy Flight and GW are breaking up.

Hrmh. I wonder if GW will give the rights to 40k RPGs to someone else now. Get the books while you can, this ship is goin' down.

This came up on another forum I frequent, and the general consensus there was that this is probably a decision on FFG part rather than GWs. FFG is expanding into a pretty big range of games, several of which are in the same market as GW, as well as FFG expanding into a wider market (heading to Europe I think) which makes them competitors. Makes little sense for FFG to provide any money to GW when they want to sell their Star Wars merchandise to the same target market. That and it makes sense to shift people who would have been working on 40k products to Star Wars ones since it's a bigger franchise.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: September 15, 2016, 08:27:05 am »

Random question: why, thematically, would markerlights be regarded as a heavy weapon?
They're literally a barrel attatchment.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: September 15, 2016, 08:36:52 am »

It requires very steady aim to keep them trained on the target, they're basically a laser rangefinder connected to the Tau battle communications network. If it wobbles too much, like say when trying to aim it while running, any missiles going for it's target would get rapid changes in targeting data and almost certainly miss.

The missile then “rides the beam,” which the Marker Light user must keep trained on the target until the missile strikes.

Marker Lights must also be relatively stable when painting a target, making them of limited utility when a unit is on the move
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: September 15, 2016, 11:19:53 am »

Random question: why, thematically, would markerlights be regarded as a heavy weapon?
They're literally a barrel attatchment.
Same reason a burst cannon is an assault weapon :P

On a similar note, what do people think the mechanism of injury/kill is for pulse weapons? They're supposed to be plasma, but I've never really understood how a Plasma Rifle can have Str6 AP2 while a Pulse rifle has Str5AP5 and longer range. And I feel like I've seen some sources/previous editions say otherwise regarding what they fire but I could be misremembering which part they were contradicting. Maybe the round thing at the end. Lexicanum says it's a gyro-stabiliser but I could swear it was described as a magnetic device that kept the plasma pulse coherent until impact or something.

Honestly half the time Pulse weapons seem to fire pure Handwavium rounds, given the way the title is slapped on everything.

And I'm still waiting for my goddamn Rail Gatling
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: September 15, 2016, 11:35:05 am »

It's probably the difference from Mechwarrior's "ER Large Laser" vs. "Large Pulse Laser." They're both made of pure handwavium.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 824