Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971724 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8055 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:23 pm »

Any of you own Total Warhammer?

I have it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: January 19, 2017, 02:56:59 pm »

Any opinions on it? I know it might not be strictly "40k" discussion but.. what gives..
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: January 19, 2017, 03:02:35 pm »

Any opinions on it? I know it might not be strictly "40k" discussion but.. what gives..

There is a total warhammer thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147554.0

>Threatening to shut down the thread due to sudden outburst of righteous loyalist fevour
What are you, some kind of a heretic?

Imagine the brutal and oppressive thread regime as an ongoing reenactment of regular life in the Imperium. Or are you saying that strict rules and rigid, dogmatic adherence to them is a bad thing? Talk about heresy...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:05:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8058 on: January 19, 2017, 03:13:30 pm »

I am pretty sure that the brutal and oppressive thread regime as an reenactment of regular life in Imperium would be forcing everyone to end their psots by PRAISE THE EMPEROR and such. I mean, strict rules and rigid, dogmatic adherence to them is one thing, but strict rules and rigid, dogmatic adherence against strict rules and rigid, dogmatic adherence is other thing. In other words - you're a heretic and Tau lover.

PRAISE THE EMPEROR.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: January 19, 2017, 03:14:17 pm »

There is a total warhammer thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147554.0

>Threatening to shut down the thread due to sudden outburst of righteous loyalist fevour
What are you, some kind of a heretic?

Imagine the brutal and oppressive thread regime as an ongoing reenactment of regular life in the Imperium. Or are you saying that strict rules and rigid, dogmatic adherence to them is a bad thing? Talk about heresy...
Oh snap!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: January 19, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »

I am pretty sure that the brutal and oppressive thread regime as an reenactment of regular life in Imperium would be forcing everyone to end their psots by PRAISE THE EMPEROR and such. I mean, strict rules and rigid, dogmatic adherence to them is one thing, but strict rules and rigid, dogmatic adherence against strict rules and rigid, dogmatic adherence is other thing. In other words - you're a heretic and Tau lover.

PRAISE THE EMPEROR.
Oh double snap!

Ok... what else could we argue about? What about Down of War 3? There's a thread for that too?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8061 on: January 19, 2017, 03:17:45 pm »

I consider Dawn of War 3 a bad game until Imperial Guard gets implemented.

PRAISE THE EMPEROR.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: January 19, 2017, 03:18:52 pm »

I quite don't like the plastic, bubbly feeling the units have, and that it's kinda of geared towards a online, pay-to-win and tablet scheme.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: January 19, 2017, 03:20:06 pm »

I'll respond to this here, but any further questions should be taken to the proper thread for it, I'm just being lazy right now.

It's an alright game, does a pretty good job at representing the units it has in it's abilities and battlefield roles on the tabletop. Not the best Total War from what I'm told, but I never played the series beforehand so I can't compare. Battles are very fast, usually only last 5-10 minutes. Magic ranges from useless to broken just like old tabletop Fantasy.

Some lords (generals) are flat out broken compared to others. Vlad von Carstein let's your entire army have Vanguard, which lets you start about 30 yards in front of your enemies' deployment area in combat and stick other stuff behind their deployment area. Like meme Creed, but with entire armies of undead and much more effective as an actual fighter. Also way cooler looking.

Has a lot of fun characters like Kholek Suneater, the second oldest of all Dragon Ogres and one of three Monster Lords in the game at the moment, the others being Durthu the Tree Man and Orion of the Wood Elves.

I give it an A+ for being fluffy and cool, though Vlad coming back from the dead for a patch is a bit silly. :P Mechanics I'd give it a C+ or a B I guess, it's more focused on cool than perfect balance, though it does try and it's not easy to balance armies with magical monsters in them compared to armies that are nearly the same with different flavors of infantry, cavalry and archers.

Modding scene for it is really good, but most modded units are broken as all hell and only countered by their equivalents from other mods.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37:51 pm »

PRAISE THE EMPEROR.
Oh double snap!

Ok... what else could we argue about? What about Down of War 3? There's a thread for that too?
In fact, there is! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157910.msg6973448#msg6973448

PRAISE THE EMPEROR.
You talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. And in doing so clearly demonstrate that, while your words claim otherwise, you think the way Imperial society functions is fundamentally flawed. After all, at the end of the day, what is expected from every Imperial citizen, and every guardsman in particular, is to fall in line, no matter what he may think or feel or hope.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: January 19, 2017, 03:46:46 pm »

PRAISE THE EMPEROR.
I can feel the GREATER GOOD overtaking me-

It is a good FEELING OF COMPANIONSHIP WITH MY FELLOW BEING!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8066 on: January 19, 2017, 03:55:35 pm »

You talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. And in doing so clearly demonstrate that, while your words claim otherwise, you think the way Imperial society functions is fundamentally flawed. After all, at the end of the day, what is expected from every Imperial citizen, and every guardsman in particular, is to fall in line, no matter what he may think or feel or hope.
Conforming to heresy is heresy. Falling in line with heretics is heresy. At the end of the day lots of heretics are just people falling in line due to orders of heretical higher-ups, and their heresy is not fighting against the heresy. Revolution is heresy, loyalist contr-revolution is not.

PRAISE THE EMPEROR!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: January 19, 2017, 04:13:40 pm »

Conforming to heresy is heresy. Falling in line with heretics is heresy. At the end of the day lots of heretics are just people falling in line due to orders of heretical higher-ups, and their heresy is not fighting against the heresy. Revolution is heresy, loyalist contr-revolution is not.

PRAISE THE EMPEROR!

Man, Chaos would have a field day with you. All they'd have to tell you is that the current regime isn't truly doing what the Emperor would have wanted, and that it's up to you to rise up in His name and despose of them. And boom, they have another willing agent weakening the imperium from within, convinced with holy fury that's he's doing the 'right thing'. So many rebellions have started from people having a different intepretation of what they think the emperor would really want them to do.

In fact, even without any chaos or external threats, you're nicely showing why the Imperium as it is is doomed to a cycle of internal strife and bloody conflict: without big E himself stepping of the throne and telling people very directly what he wants, all it takes is some blokes going "hmm, they're not praising the emperor quite enough, let's fuck 'em up." to plunge humanity into more futile self-harm.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: January 19, 2017, 04:25:38 pm »

Of all the dangers that face the Imperium, I don't think they're really doomed to internal conflict. The system they established is actually really fucking good in terms of stability. Planetary governments are given wide latitude on everything the galactic Imperium doesn't care about, so they have little incentive to rebel. Even when they do rebel, the Imperium will recognize the winner so long as they swear fealty.

Sector governments are intentionally focused towards the galactic view rather than the sector or planetary view, ensuring they will not strife against one another or prey on planets and instead stand against the xeno and the heretic.

All of the segmentums are under direct military government through the segmentum fortresses ensuring the largest divisions are all answerable to Terra and cannot rebel, as well as being far enough above the sectors that they could never gather together enough power to challenge the segmentum.

The final level of governance in the Senatorum Imperialis is formed of the heads of all the major organizations of the Imperium, and aside from that one time they're all too concerned with that to think of an organizational breakaway, and the organizational roles prevent them from being able to establish a true faction anyway.

And then there is the Inquisition, too small to truly destroy any group but given such extreme authority and mission focus that the troublemakers of every single part of the Imperium live in fear.

It's not bad, for a relatively brute-force star empire who only cares about survival.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 824