Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965191 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: No Such Thing As A Free Bolter, But Heresy's Everywhere!
« Reply #9015 on: August 04, 2017, 06:30:09 am »

Why do the Sisters of Silence takes oaths of silence?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9016 on: August 04, 2017, 11:40:14 am »

Because otherwise they would be Sisters Of Constant Complaining.

EDIT: Really though, it's because Emperor ordered them to. Nobody exactly knows why they have to take the Oath of Tranquility, but TTS Emperor would probably say it's so "they can't bitch".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:44:21 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9017 on: August 04, 2017, 12:15:38 pm »

I'm not sure he ordered them to, some Custodes swore vows of silence as penance for some failure, sisters may do so as penance for being born blanks.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9018 on: August 04, 2017, 02:31:33 pm »

Well, it would make them less sociable, which was likely not their strong suite if they were blanks to begin with.

And it would make them more fervent in their devotion to their brand if justice.  Its not easy being them; they dont get to get roided up like some.

It was likely started by some tradition or injury.  The penance thing sounds plausible, and eventually all of them joined in.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9019 on: August 04, 2017, 02:37:41 pm »

An oath of silence might actually be a benefit for a blank. It's useful to offset the unidentifiable sense of fear and hatred with an identifiable abnormality. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9020 on: August 04, 2017, 04:54:06 pm »

I'm not sure he ordered them to, some Custodes swore vows of silence as penance for some failure, sisters may do so as penance for being born blanks.
He did, although Sisters of Silence are said to exist even before Great Crusade and date back to Dark Ages of Technology, so maybe there's some other reason.
Also, remember they used to run the League of Black Ships, it might be to stop them from talking to their, want it or not, psyker prisoners and sympathizing with them.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9021 on: August 04, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »

Used to? I thought they still did. Although I've read mixed stories where they all seem to be maintained alternatively by the SoS, Inquisition and Adeptus Astra Telepathica.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9022 on: August 04, 2017, 06:24:49 pm »

Sisters of Silence have floated into obscureness post Horus Heresy, and only during the recent developments they have apparently been ressurected in full force.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9023 on: August 04, 2017, 08:57:12 pm »

Sisters of Silence are said to exist even before Great Crusade and date back to Dark Ages of Technology
Source?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9024 on: August 05, 2017, 12:42:53 am »

Sisters of Silence are said to exist even before Great Crusade and date back to Dark Ages of Technology
Source?

According to Lexicanum, that version of their origin was described in The Horus Heresy Book Seven, on pages 123 to 131. The same book notes the Cataclysm of Pentacanaes, which suggests another origin: that they were originally an irregular Imperial Army regiment composed entirely of Blanks and subsequently turned into the Sisters after coming to the attention of the League of Black Ships. Of course, it is possible and suggested that the Sisters already existed, and this was merely a test of their abilities.

If the Sisters do originate from an agency responsible for dealing with the earliest psykers, that suggests an origin for the Oath of Tranquility, as well: it may have begun as some part of a larger attempt at emotional control in a naive attempt to defeat telepathy, which would make sense if they didn't yet understand very well how psykers work. Come to think of it, those efforts may well have culminated in the creation of the pariah gene in much the same way that the Navigator mutation was developed during this period. It seems completely plausible to me that some complex scheme of mnemonic tools and training and whatever other aids Dark Age technology could produce was allowed to lapse into symbolism once they had Blanks and then mangled by the Age of Strife into its present form.

In other words, it might well be like most things in the Imperium: a useless tradition maintained for a half-remembered reason.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9025 on: August 09, 2017, 07:41:16 pm »

Well shit, GW in the US is getting sued.

I havent seen the whole video or read much of the documents as of yet but basically the suit is against GW and it's monopoly practices. I figured something like this was coming due to how insane GW had been recently.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: August 09, 2017, 07:46:35 pm »

That guy has a big ol' mole

Guaca-molee
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9027 on: August 09, 2017, 07:59:31 pm »

monopoly practices

monopolies?  In my United States of America?

say it ain't so, that never happens.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: August 09, 2017, 09:19:08 pm »

It's a criminal complaint. The guy who is suing is claiming Games Workshop violated the RICO Act. (You know, the law that allows the government to seize assets gotten as part of criminal activities. Meant to target the Mafia and racketeering organizations.)

Fraud.
Price fixing.
Tortious Interference.
Breach of contract.
Unjust enrichment.
Restraint of trade.
Conspiracy.
And Anti-trust violations.

Whoo boy. No one likes how GWS does business but I seriously doubt even 1/3rd of that will stick. Unless it turns out GWS has been packing Dreadnought figs with cocaine to ship across the country.

TLDR: Game store owner is pissed because of how GWS limits stock and aggressively protects their own retail outlets by how much product they let them have versus 3rd parties, and at what price.

There's no way this is going through, IMO. Hobby games aren't a core commodity like water, power, internet, food, steel, roads, or any of that shit.

I mean, can you have a monopoly on a product that no one else has the rights to anyways? "Hey Blizzard, your monopoly of WoW and Diablo and Overwatch is wrong and imma sue you over it!"

The game store owner is claimed to be a lawyer as well. Either he's a terrible lawyer, or he thinks he can get a settlement out of GWS. Good luck with that buddy, and I'd keep an eye on the night sky for the jet black lawyer v-wings swooping over your house.....

edit

Lol. He's even going try to argue that they don't own the rights to their IP because so much of the material has been sourced from other things over the years. Everyone knows 40k is derivative as fuck, but this may be the first time someone has tried to argue it in court.

I'm picturing a jury looking at 1st Edition Rogue Trader and Dancing Space Marines and staring around the jury room in utter confusion and bafflement.

edit 2

The plaintiff once worked for FASA. Hah. Hah Hah. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

edit 3

He's doing a piss poor job of demonstrating GWS stole any intellectual property. "There was the movie Aliens, and then two years later GWS introduces their own alien breed called Genestealers. They look IDENTICAL TO GEIGER'S ALIENS. And they never paid Ridley Scott for that!!11111" This is clearly an attempt to get a settlement out of GWS.

Oh and WHF:B is ripping off Tolkien. If that's legally true then so is 99% of modern fantasy written in the last 40 years.

This reads like if Trump was a gaming nerd and was trying to sue. "And they've got Elves and Orcs and they don't even look good. SAD! And illegal! Pay me now!"

And now he's mad because GWS made a 50,000% mark up on some of their figs. No one is surprised GWS profits like that, but I highly doubt that any judge would penalize them for that. It's good to hear it publicly said, so gamers can be informed. But making a criminal complaint out of it? For having an amazing supply chain and making all the money they can off of that? Pretty ridiculous.

He's the cherry on top: It's not the $62.5 million dollars in damage he wants. He wants the court to order GWS to forfeit all rights to their copyrights and intellectual property in America, and put it all in to a trust which THE PLAINTIFF would "dutifully" administer.

......This dude has clearly smoked himself retarded on Obscura if he thinks that can or will happen.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:21:37 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9029 on: August 09, 2017, 09:24:06 pm »

inb4 the trial goes to jury and the jury is all selected from fa/tg/uys pretending to be normal
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 824