Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971112 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: No Such Thing As A Free Bolter, But Heresy's Everywhere!
« Reply #9165 on: September 20, 2017, 07:12:51 pm »

See, I TOLD you WHAOK humans are weirdos! They even specifically hate us baseline, non-psi humans!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9166 on: September 20, 2017, 08:51:40 pm »

Eldar and humans are a case of Convergent evolution. On the human side at least as the Eldar were designed not evolved. But the same can be said of a lot of the aliens on the lore. Bipeds, telescopic eyes, ears and a head, two arms and so forth and so on. Eldars and anyone looking like humans (or any race resembling any other race) could be handwaved as simply a result of a wide enough number of evolutionary lines that some of them coverge.

Eldars can't reproduce with humans anymore, that got fired from the canon a lot time ago. I mean perhaps there could be a artificial way to make an hibrid splicing genes (even when eldar genome is intrinsically different) or some warp dickery.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9167 on: September 20, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »

youd think that would be a challenge issued to slaaneshi cultists, that ...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9168 on: September 20, 2017, 08:56:31 pm »

I think there are some actual highly heretical rules in some WHAOK roleplaying books for injecting yourself full of Eldar genes for various benefits, such as being a dodgy bastard.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9169 on: September 20, 2017, 10:04:44 pm »

Or a pretentious dick?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9170 on: September 20, 2017, 10:22:31 pm »

Eldar stuff isin't even different on the "they have different organs and shizzle", they have quadruplex DNA or whatever it was. The only shared trait is that they have red blood, which is a trait every race that Old Ones meddled with has.

See, I TOLD you WHAOK humans are weirdos! They even specifically hate us baseline, non-psi humans!
That's actually wrong, lol. Baseline human is psyker enough to not be a problem. They have something that is described as "soul", normal emotional connection to warp and shit. The blanks specifically are the ones different from regular modern day humans, they would be the people that are hated for no real reason, people around which normal people feel uneasy around to the point of giving actual physical pain in more psychically active people.

youd think that would be a challenge issued to slaaneshi cultists, that ...
Slanneshi warp mutations aren't really something that abides by any real rules, so it's not a challenge to Slannesh really. The problem with them is that they aren't... real, in a way. For example, there are no Female Space Marines (apart from that one thing with the Guardswoman and the armour... nevermind) but it is reasonable to consider that some Slanneshi marines probably got their genitalia (in all senses of this word) fucked, but it's more of a... magical gender change operation, than being actual woman, so any Eldar-Human Slanneshi hybrids probably wouldn't have anything to do with humans or Eldar but be their own thing, and in best case it'd be just human modified to resemble an Eldar, or, more fitting with the typical Chaos sense of humor, Eldar stunted enough to be like human.

The Ultramarines Eldar hybrid Librarian is obviously non-canon, because while it was never really denied, Varro Tigurius is, and has been during the time Illiyan Nastase was supposed to live, the Chief Librarian of Ultramarines, which pretty much makes the latter not a thing.

Or a pretentious dick?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9171 on: September 20, 2017, 10:36:06 pm »

You... what? Real, modern-day humans aren't psychic. If you existed in WHAOK-verse, the imperials would hate you for being a blank, because you have meat brains rather than soul. So yes, WHAOK humans are very different from real humans.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9172 on: September 20, 2017, 10:48:13 pm »

You... what? Real, modern-day humans aren't psychic. If you existed in WHAOK-verse, the imperials would hate you for being a blank, because you have meat brains rather than soul. So yes, WHAOK humans are very different from real humans.
But they are. Pi and Rho on the scale. Saying they are psykers is wrong, but... they are neither psy-active nor psy-inert. They are like 0 on the scale, whilist Blanks are negatives.
Also, what's with the WHAOK, can't you speak like a normal person. :S
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9173 on: September 20, 2017, 10:54:21 pm »

do you factually believe that WHAOK is canon for real life

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9174 on: September 20, 2017, 11:11:10 pm »

I don't think so, that'd be pretty tinfoily. I mean, it is mostly taking place in future, and what WH40k canon that supposedly happened already is not really something we can factually check, but it'd be pretty fucking wild if it was, to the point that if I was working for Games Workshop i'd rather not work on the giant future prediction conspiracy disguised as tabletop game, but rather go and start scoring some lottery wins with my insane precognition abilities that I'd have to possess to know that the Grim Darkness of Far Future is the future we're going to get.

I'm just correcting your wrong idea of the WH40k canon which does state that it's taking place in future, and the universe is technically the same we are in, and that within that universe regular humans do have connection to the Warp. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9175 on: September 20, 2017, 11:24:35 pm »

If the humans in it have access to warp, then it's not the same one as ours by definition. Maybe it shares some things in common, but it is well and truly different.
I understand that WHAOK is set in the milky way galaxy, and the humans in it are from Earth, and that they share a history with us up until our current time, bue that doesn't mean that it really has anything to do with us. I shouldn't empathize with the imperium because I'm a human, because by the imperium's definition I'm NOT.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:27:28 pm by Egan_BW »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9176 on: September 21, 2017, 12:19:16 am »

I should note that, going by my psyker distribution numbers, even with an M42 level of baseline psi-power there aren't enough humans on Earth for the average to have produced even one explicitly powerful psyker. At best we'd have a few of the unnaturally lucky types, who are probably Elon Musk and that guy who made several hundred billion on bitcoin and is hiding out on an island somewhere.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9177 on: September 21, 2017, 12:32:07 am »

If the humans in it have access to warp, then it's not the same one as ours by definition. Maybe it shares some things in common, but it is well and truly different.
I understand that WHAOK is set in the milky way galaxy, and the humans in it are from Earth, and that they share a history with us up until our current time, bue that doesn't mean that it really has anything to do with us. I shouldn't empathize with the imperium because I'm a human, because by the imperium's definition I'm NOT.
You are though.
Uh.

I mean, I get your point, sort of, but what you are saying is faulty because baseline human from 41st millenium is about identical with a human from 2nd millenium, with reasonable slight minor mutation degree, for instance they have resistance to dieases that do not even exist yet and various local mutations dependent on the planet (which mostly are negligible, with outliers such as Ogryns, Ratlings, Navigators and even the damn Felinids (after all, Homo sapiens hirsutus) are considered ABhumans, not INhumans (and technically not mutants (the distinction is that mutants are not stable genetically, while abhumans are)), which is an important distinction in that they are generally accepted, although held in much lower regard than regular humans) but if that is your criteria then Homo sapiens sapiens from 40 thousand years ago (which already had developed full behavioral modernity) aren't human either.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9178 on: September 21, 2017, 02:05:09 am »

No, the argument being presented is that the humans of the 40k fictional universe, by virtue of possessing any form of active psionic ability (or latent for that matter) are not really anything like the humans of reality (and I'd argue very heavily that their culture and behavioral norms are utterly divorced from any form of reality as well, but that isn't really a discussion suited to this thread).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9179 on: September 21, 2017, 02:26:24 am »

No, the argument being presented is that the humans of the 40k fictional universe, by virtue of possessing any form of active psionic ability (or latent for that matter) are not really anything like the humans of reality
I am not going to argue that everyone posses inactive psychic ability, and active one much less so, but in the context we are discussing here, which is Warhammer 40k universe, humans possess innate inactive psychic ability, as do nearly all living things, with some of them possesing active psychic abilities, which means that if, theoretically, Warhammer 40k were to be actually real, you wouldn't really differ from the regular people, which is contrary to this assumption:
Unless you were actually a blank, but in that case it'd probably be evident by now because you'd have to have no friends, your family would hate you and it was horrible in general, although you could just be an asshole and achieve the same effect.

(and I'd argue very heavily that their culture and behavioral norms are utterly divorced from any form of reality as well, but that isn't really a discussion suited to this thread).
I'm wondering whose cultural and behavioral norms do you consider divorced from reality. I mean, apart from the whole Warp magic stuff, which cannot really be compared to reality and which is pretty well anchored in the Warhammer 40k universe reality, I don't think there is anything you could point to as being unrealistic. Racism, warrior culture, religious fanaticism and militancy, corruption, wastefulness, etc. is what humans did through the entire history, and I'd say that our actual history is pretty grounded in reality, as it literally fucking happened.
Of course, you might feel like that they are insane and unhinged, but that is only you live in modern times where survival, at least in western, developed countries, doesn't require the same drastic measures as survival in the Grim Darkness of the Far Future.
Pages: 1 ... 610 611 [612] 613 614 ... 824