Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971253 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9660 on: November 10, 2017, 12:39:07 am »

Thanks, but those are technical differences, not functional differences. I'm asking about how much damage they do, what they're used for, stuff like that.

Do you mean in rules or in lore, then?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: November 10, 2017, 12:43:20 am »

Thanks, but those are technical differences, not functional differences. I'm asking about how much damage they do, what they're used for, stuff like that.

Either or. Both are good.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: November 10, 2017, 01:08:19 am »

Either or. Both are good.

Well, then:

Pulse technology shows up mostly in Tau-portable infantry weapons, with the battlesuit-mounted versions being equivalent to strapping a bunch of pulse rifles together. They damage in a fashion midway between a lasgun and a bolter, being less explosive than the latter and less focused than the former, although they outrange both. The much larger Pulse Submunitions guns, and to a greater extent the Ordnance Multi-Driver, are closer to Pulse cluster bomb launchers, and are mounted on large battlesuits and used for area denial.

Plasma technology is standard Plasma: armor-piercing heavy weaponry intended to crack heavy infantry and tanks. Tau plasma is less damaging than the Imperial type, both to its target and to its operator, and is also carried exclusively by vehicles.

The Tau actually have two kinds of Ion weapons: the old kind are vehicle-mounted artillery and there's a newer man-portable kind. While the old-style Ion Cannons and Accelerators are used as anti-vehicle weaponry, the new Ion Rifles and Ion Rakers are more like ion machine guns. That said, the new overload function apparently lets anything fire area-effect Ion explosives at the expense of safety, so arguably all Ion weapons are at least partly anti-infantry now.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: November 10, 2017, 01:15:11 am »

If pulse weapons are "standard" weapons and plasma is anti-armour, then what are ion weapons used for?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: November 10, 2017, 01:17:09 am »

If pulse weapons are "standard" weapons and plasma is anti-armour, then what are ion weapons used for?

Anti-bigger-armor. That's why they're on Hammerheads.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9665 on: November 10, 2017, 01:48:33 am »

although they outrange both.
That's arguable in technical terms. Tau range superiority seems to stem more from actually being able to hit shit, as their rifles have much more accuracy boosting shit on them.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: November 10, 2017, 06:59:46 am »

Anyhow, all of it is disgusting xeno tech heresy.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: November 10, 2017, 12:05:04 pm »

Praise be, Brother.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: November 10, 2017, 12:11:34 pm »

Given the aesthetics of the Astreus, and the new plasma rules, I have to ask: is it still xenotech after Cawl steals it for the Imperium?

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: November 10, 2017, 12:50:26 pm »

Given the aesthetics of the Astreus, and the new plasma rules, I have to ask: is it still xenotech after Cawl steals it for the Imperium?

HE REDISCOVERED ANCIENT DESIGNS, no innovation or xenotech was involved.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: November 10, 2017, 02:56:01 pm »

Clearly the Tau stole their tech from humans and thus it's simply reclaiming, because xenos couldn't possibly make such advanced technology

Yep

Definitely.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9671 on: November 10, 2017, 03:08:24 pm »

What Cawl does is pretty much heresy, even Guilliman acknowledges that, and he was the one who told him to do it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: November 10, 2017, 03:13:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure Guilliman was just mocking the outrage of the Ecclesiarchy when he said that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: November 10, 2017, 03:23:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure Guilliman was just mocking the outrage of the Ecclesiarchy when he said that.

Or it's another expression of his crippling father complex, along with being a control freak; he may just be subconsciously wanting someone to constrain his own conduct.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: November 10, 2017, 07:17:51 pm »

from what I gathered, big G doesnt really seem to care about whether something is repugnant, or against his personal values, or slightly extremely illegal, as long as it's not Choas Heretical and will help him save daddy's Imperium?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 824