Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965400 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9705 on: November 16, 2017, 09:20:45 pm »

It's a bit weird. There are some instances of Primarchs being drastically changed from their intention - Angron was meant to be a noble scholar of battle like his War Dogs were before they met, but there are also some instances of Primarchs seeming to match their legions before meeting in ways that don't make a lot of sense from a nurture perspective. The Night Lords just happened to be drawn from Terra's criminals without any knowledge that Konrad Curze had gone all Ultra-Punisher in the meantime, which is especially significant because it denies the idea that it was all gene-seed influences.

Personally, I smell some warp dust all over the relationship between Primarchs and Legions that betrays their intended creation. The Emperor's bargain, if there indeed was a bargain, must have ran quite deep...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9706 on: November 16, 2017, 10:24:07 pm »

Given that the Primarchs are all effectively minor gods, and that the space marines by that metric are angels/servants of those gods, it does make some sense that changes in the Primarch would supernaturally influence their legion.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9707 on: November 16, 2017, 10:36:36 pm »

It's a bit weird. There are some instances of Primarchs being drastically changed from their intention - Angron was meant to be a noble scholar of battle like his War Dogs were before they met, but there are also some instances of Primarchs seeming to match their legions before meeting in ways that don't make a lot of sense from a nurture perspective. The Night Lords just happened to be drawn from Terra's criminals without any knowledge that Konrad Curze had gone all Ultra-Punisher in the meantime, which is especially significant because it denies the idea that it was all gene-seed influences.

Personally, I smell some warp dust all over the relationship between Primarchs and Legions that betrays their intended creation. The Emperor's bargain, if there indeed was a bargain, must have ran quite deep...

What you have here are the cracks left behind when 40k made the transition from straight pulpy badassery to a more refined (heh) sci-fi universe with gravitas, cause and effect, logic and rationale.

When I was like 13, 40k was pure metal. Think about some of the chapter names. Blood Angels. Dark Angels. Space Wolves *guitar riff*. These just started as BA names for chapters, and a handful of vignettes in codices, White Dwarf and Inferno! There was little logic or reason behind them. "Dark is cool right? Well let's make them Dark Angels." "Damn that's cool. I wanna do an Angels something. What else is cool?" "Blood?" "Fuck yeah, Blood. Blood Angels. Fucking rad." "Oh maybe they're vampires too." "Dude my head is going to explode from all this awesomeness." This is coming out of 40k's goofy era of squats and dancing space marines, where it really laid on the edge without necessarily caring how all the pieces fit together.

And so the primarchs vis-a-vis their legions, vis-a-vis their homeworlds, have a very video gamey structure to them, that when 40k went all writerly, created these inconsistencies in lore and reasoning that just gets chalked up to the usual 40k mystique. "Did the Emperor plan it all along?!?!?!11111"

So yeah. I wouldn't look too deeply into what came first, the Emperor's Nature or the Homeworld's Nurture. That way lies madness, and you will find plenty of examples to support a little too comfortably and refute both sides.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:38:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9708 on: November 16, 2017, 11:46:57 pm »

Why is everyone talking about 21 Primarchs when there are in fact only 20?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9709 on: November 17, 2017, 12:30:29 am »

De twinz
Sig! Onol

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9710 on: November 17, 2017, 12:38:30 am »

De twinz

Alpharius and Omegon, the Primarch of the Alpha Legion.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9711 on: November 17, 2017, 12:41:24 am »

And if we're talking about the REAL number of primarchs....it's actually 23. But we don't talk about them. Because *BLAM*.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9712 on: November 17, 2017, 12:46:09 am »

And if we're talking about the REAL number of primarchs....it's actually 23. But we don't talk about them. Because *BLAM*.
Nah, it'd be 21. Alpha and Omega were an extra one, and two were blammed making for 19 primmies in the great crusade.
Sig! Onol

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9713 on: November 17, 2017, 12:47:36 am »

And Sigmar, and Janus, and the Sensei, and the clones of all the primarchs and the Emperor made by Fabius Bile (who wears a labcoat made of human skin), and Cato Sicarius, and the Custodes, and the Prime-Orks, and my OC who isn't a missing primarch, and the False Primarch, and
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9714 on: November 17, 2017, 12:52:39 am »

And the Emperor's female form.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9715 on: November 17, 2017, 01:07:22 am »

Nah, it'd be 21. Alpha and Omega were an extra one, and two were blammed making for 19 primmies in the great crusade.

There are 21 historical legions, and 21 primarchs and one of those legions has an extra primarch. So that's 22. Then you add the two that were BLAMMED. So that actually makes 24 total primarchs.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9716 on: November 17, 2017, 01:17:59 am »

There are 21 historical legions, and 21 primarchs and one of those legions has an extra primarch. So that's 22. Then you add the two that were BLAMMED. So that actually makes 24 total primarchs.
1. Dark Angels - 1 Primarch
2. DON'T ASK - 1 Primarch
3. Emperor's Children - 1 Primarch
4. Iron Warriors - 1 Primarch
5. White Scars - 1 Primarch
6. Space Wolves - 1 Primarch
7. Imperial Fists - 1 Primarch
8. Night Lords - 1 Primarch
9. Blood Angels - 1 Primarch
10. Iron Hands - 1 Primarch
11. SHUT YER FACE - 1 Primarch
12. World Eaters - 1 Primarch
13. Ultramarines - 1 Primarch
14. Death Guard - 1 Primarch
15. Thousand Sons - 1 Primarch
16. Luna Wolves - 1 FUCKING Primarch
17. World Bearers - 1 Primarch
18. Salamanders - 1 Primarch
19. Raven Guard - 1 Primarch
20. Alpha Legion - 2 Primarchs

That makes 21, my dude.
Sig! Onol

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9717 on: November 17, 2017, 01:18:45 am »

Ooh! Ooh! Blackjack!
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9718 on: November 17, 2017, 05:17:20 am »

Time was not an issue for any of them because their are/were biologically immortal.

Power, well had they been raised by the emperor instead of the fuck up way most of them were they would have become even more awesome.

I imagine that by necessity they would eventually had raised an army anyway, bit imagine a group of two dozen demigods, one of them basically a god going around together.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9719 on: November 17, 2017, 07:24:12 am »

I dare you to name them all, except of course the 2 unknown ones, which you can put as X and Y.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 646 647 [648] 649 650 ... 824