Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971441 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Baby's first Exterminatus.
« Reply #10530 on: October 01, 2018, 08:03:59 am »

ORKTOBER BEGINS! WOOT WOOT!
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: October 06, 2018, 12:19:10 pm »

So i’m putting an open brainstorm out there for all you wonderful loreboyz.
I seem to notice that our friendship group has a large amount of imperial-on-imperial combat, and it hurts me a little in my fluffpendix.
So, i’m going to start converting up a bundle of “imperial tension” objective markers.

So far i’ve got vague ideas on things like:
Tech heresy: xenophase blade
Heresy heresy: Daemonhost corpse
Imperial disagreement: Fallen corpse

I’m a little stymied because I tend to think in terms of “what pieces from what sprue” which makes it tough to dream up cool stuff, so i’m after whatever ideas people can spitball. There’s no wrong answers, as long as it makes any good imperial citizen feel uncomfortable.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10532 on: October 06, 2018, 12:24:07 pm »

Getting a heroic looking model and painting it into a bronze statue is always a good one. Play it up as a disputed saint, where one side considers the character a saint whilst the other one considers it a champion of chaos, it's a perfect way to get two factions of loyalists killing each other. There are also canon instances where loyalists have annihilated loyalists over this very kind of dispute

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: October 06, 2018, 12:59:31 pm »

I might be able to dig up a Colour Sergeant Kell model and jury-rig some wings on him (maybe made of bayonets?)
Would that be controversial enough?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: October 06, 2018, 04:21:22 pm »

Just a crate of valuable shit is probably enough to get loyalists shooting at each other. Just make a box and say it's full of plasma weapons. :P
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10535 on: October 06, 2018, 04:56:31 pm »

Just a crate of valuable shit is probably enough to get loyalists shooting at each other. Just make a box and say it's full of plasma weapons. :P
Battle of Karansebes it

The army of Austria, approximately 100,000 strong, was setting up camp around the town. The army's vanguard, a contingent of hussars, crossed the Timiș River nearby to scout for the presence of the Ottoman Turks. There was no sign of the Ottoman army, but the hussars did run into a group of Tzigani, who offered to sell schnapps to the war-weary soldiers. The cavalrymen bought the schnapps and started to drink.

Soon afterwards, some infantry crossed the river. When they saw the party going on, the infantry demanded alcohol for themselves. The hussars refused to give them any of the schnapps, and while still drunk, they set up makeshift fortifications around the barrels. A heated argument ensued, and one soldier fired a shot.

Immediately, the hussars and infantry engaged in combat with one another. During the conflict, some infantry began shouting "Turci! Turci!" ("Turks! Turks!"). The hussars fled the scene, thinking that the Ottoman army’s attack was imminent. Most of the infantry also ran away; the army comprised Austrians, Serbs, Croats, and Italians from Lombardy, plus other minorities, many of whom could not understand each other. While it is not clear which one of these groups did so, they gave the false warning without telling the others, who promptly fled. The situation was made worse when officers, in an attempt to restore order, shouted "Halt! Halt!" which was misheard by soldiers with no knowledge of German as "Allah! Allah!".

As the cavalry ran through the camps, a corps commander reasoned that it was a cavalry charge by the Ottoman army, and ordered artillery fire. Meanwhile, the entire camp awoke to the sound of battle and, rather than waiting to see what the situation was, everyone fled. The troops fired at every shadow, thinking the Ottomans were everywhere; in reality they were shooting fellow Austrian soldiers. The incident escalated to the point where the whole army retreated from the imaginary enemy, and Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II was pushed off his horse into a small creek.

Two days later, the Ottoman army arrived. They discovered dead and wounded soldiers and easily took Karánsebes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: October 07, 2018, 08:06:03 am »

So i’m putting an open brainstorm out there for all you wonderful loreboyz.
I seem to notice that our friendship group has a large amount of imperial-on-imperial combat, and it hurts me a little in my fluffpendix.
So, i’m going to start converting up a bundle of “imperial tension” objective markers.

So far i’ve got vague ideas on things like:
Tech heresy: xenophase blade
Heresy heresy: Daemonhost corpse
Imperial disagreement: Fallen corpse

I’m a little stymied because I tend to think in terms of “what pieces from what sprue” which makes it tough to dream up cool stuff, so i’m after whatever ideas people can spitball. There’s no wrong answers, as long as it makes any good imperial citizen feel uncomfortable.

Make some spess mahreen stuff that's... Shall we say non-Codex Astartes approved? Extra skulls, no clear chapter identifiers, maybe some borderline mutations like the Black Dragons.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: October 07, 2018, 09:23:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: October 07, 2018, 09:55:45 am »

Battle of Karansebes it

The army of Austria, approximately 100,000 strong, was setting up camp around the town. The army's vanguard, a contingent of hussars, crossed the Timiș River nearby to scout for the presence of the Ottoman Turks. There was no sign of the Ottoman army, but the hussars did run into a group of Tzigani, who offered to sell schnapps to the war-weary soldiers. The cavalrymen bought the schnapps and started to drink.

Soon afterwards, some infantry crossed the river. When they saw the party going on, the infantry demanded alcohol for themselves. The hussars refused to give them any of the schnapps, and while still drunk, they set up makeshift fortifications around the barrels. A heated argument ensued, and one soldier fired a shot.

Immediately, the hussars and infantry engaged in combat with one another. During the conflict, some infantry began shouting "Turci! Turci!" ("Turks! Turks!"). The hussars fled the scene, thinking that the Ottoman army’s attack was imminent. Most of the infantry also ran away; the army comprised Austrians, Serbs, Croats, and Italians from Lombardy, plus other minorities, many of whom could not understand each other. While it is not clear which one of these groups did so, they gave the false warning without telling the others, who promptly fled. The situation was made worse when officers, in an attempt to restore order, shouted "Halt! Halt!" which was misheard by soldiers with no knowledge of German as "Allah! Allah!".

As the cavalry ran through the camps, a corps commander reasoned that it was a cavalry charge by the Ottoman army, and ordered artillery fire. Meanwhile, the entire camp awoke to the sound of battle and, rather than waiting to see what the situation was, everyone fled. The troops fired at every shadow, thinking the Ottomans were everywhere; in reality they were shooting fellow Austrian soldiers. The incident escalated to the point where the whole army retreated from the imaginary enemy, and Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II was pushed off his horse into a small creek.

Two days later, the Ottoman army arrived. They discovered dead and wounded soldiers and easily took Karánsebes.

Sounds like the fact that the army was made of people who largely didn't understand each others languages was the main driver of the confusion. However, I don't see the Imperial Army or Space Marines speaking a multitude of languages since AFAIK, there aren't multiple languages in the WH40K universe, either that or technology is advanced enough to have translator devices with near perfect accuracy.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: October 07, 2018, 10:16:16 am »

Space Marines are all able to talk the same language, yeah.

For Impguard, chances at least their officers will be able to communicate.

Low Gothic is the common language of the Imperium, but many worlds have their own languages (especially feral worlds) or their dialects are different enough they're not mutually intelligible.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: October 08, 2018, 07:36:28 am »

Space Marines are all able to talk the same language, yeah.

For Impguard, chances at least their officers will be able to communicate.

Low Gothic is the common language of the Imperium, but many worlds have their own languages (especially feral worlds) or their dialects are different enough they're not mutually intelligible.

How different is our language to the language we spoke 300 years ago? Ships can take that long or longer to get from place to place.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: October 08, 2018, 07:40:38 am »

You're forgetting that the two main languages are High Gothic AKA Religious AKA dead latin and has been unchanged for 2000 years and Low Gothic AKA Trade Tongue AKA English and is a random mishmash of every other language around anyway.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: October 08, 2018, 08:19:37 am »

You're forgetting that the two main languages are High Gothic AKA Religious AKA dead latin and has been unchanged for 2000 years and Low Gothic AKA Trade Tongue AKA English and is a random mishmash of every other language around anyway.

Yes, but how many guardsmen or even officers speak High Gothic, and why should we assume that any two versions of Low Gothic are more than passably mutually intelligible?  I can't understand inner-city londoners without effort, and I live on the same landmass, let alone the same star cluster!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: October 08, 2018, 08:51:52 am »

I seem to recall that the IG doesnt bother teaching High Gothic to non-officers because there's too many of them to be worth it, seeing as "clog their chainswords with the entrails of your forward positions" is basically a valid strategy, and that most forms of Low Gothic are real difficult to comprehend by other form speakers
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: October 08, 2018, 09:11:34 am »

I seem to recall that the IG doesnt bother teaching High Gothic to non-officers because there's too many of them to be worth it, seeing as "clog their chainswords with the entrails of your forward positions" is basically a valid strategy, and that most forms of Low Gothic are real difficult to comprehend by other form speakers

Huh, which actually makes me think - does each world localise the Imperial Guardsman's Uplifting Infantry Primer to their own version of Low Gothic, in which case that's a prime source of Heresy right there.  Shame I don't have my heresy-meter image at work.
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 824