Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965460 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10770 on: November 24, 2018, 04:53:04 am »

Now I want to play WAAAAAGH Space Program.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10771 on: November 24, 2018, 05:28:34 am »

Isn't Ghazkull on his way to becoming The Beast 2: Electric Boogaloo?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: November 24, 2018, 06:57:06 am »

That would be awesome.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10773 on: November 24, 2018, 08:20:02 am »

Isn't Ghazkull on his way to becoming The Beast 2: Electric Boogaloo?
Looks like it, especially with the Octarius War coming to a close. The Octarius Orks have primarch sized orks in huge quantities, have produced unusually clever Orks and have even looted an Avatar of Khaine, with Ghazkull showing up to decisively win the Octarius War in favour of the Orks & prepare for a great WAAAAAAAAAAAGHH!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: November 24, 2018, 09:09:09 am »

Poor Tyranids even lose in their own army book.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10775 on: November 24, 2018, 09:23:51 am »

Poor Tyranids even lose in their own army book.
I dunno, the first hive fleets nearly took out the galaxy and those hive fleets were just scouts. I thought their whole stick was that losses are irrelevant. They can lose every battle and still consume your world

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: November 24, 2018, 05:15:11 pm »

Ooh, what’s the Octarius Orks be at?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10777 on: November 24, 2018, 05:58:55 pm »

Ooh, what’s the Octarius Orks be at?
A radical inquisitor redirected a hive fleet splinter into the Octarius Empire using genestealers, at which point the Octarius warbosses responded by hunting down the genestealers in what should have been the first clue that these weren't ordinary orks. Despite their crude inquisition succeeding, the hive fleet still redirects towards their location, as the hive fleet realised there was loads of biomass there. When the hive arrived the Octarius Orks responded with overwhelming positivity at the intense warfare they were plunged into. This resulted in the Imperium collectively shitting their breeches when they realised whoever won the Octarius war would be far stronger than either of the combatants were before the war, with the Orks flourishing against the varied and brutal battles against the tyranids. Besides inquisitorial oversight the Imperium were on the defensive regarding the shitfest they created, so the only factions capable and willing of intervening were chaos space marines and Eldar. The chaos space marines went home after they collected the skull of a Tyranid bio-titan (and in an immense plot-twist, the tyranids and orks stopped killing each other to kill the chaos space marines), while the Eldar did their best to exterminate all the Orks/Tyranids they could on the front lines, which unfortunately for the Imperium also resulted in many Imperial citizens getting exterminated in the crossfire. Ghazkull shows up, the Overfiend of Octarius dies or something, Ghazkull unites the Orks, fucks up the tyranids with his reinforcements and then unites Octarius for the greatest WAAAAAAAAAAGHHH!! against the Imperium he's ever done. He's now got 5 million (seriously 5 million) ships worths of Orks headed for the Imperium

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: November 24, 2018, 06:32:44 pm »

Elaborate on the "looted Avatar of Khaine" though.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10779 on: November 24, 2018, 07:32:29 pm »

Elaborate on the "looted Avatar of Khaine" though.
An avatar of Khaine got woken up on a dead craftworld. With no Eldar around it gave out a psychic scream, confused and lost, and the Orks answered. This /tg/ thread explains, sadly there isn't much more lore about what happened to the Overfiend of Octarius and the looted avatar

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: November 25, 2018, 04:04:32 am »

That would be awesome.

It surprises me that GW's present licensing shotgun approach hasn't extended to making some kind of stripped-down Ork-based Civilization-like. (Looted Civ, I suppose.) Just make research a function of Mek unit experience and off we go from squigs to Space Hulks.

That said, something along the lines of Looted CK2 would more faithfully represent the Orks' actually functioning via the Great Man -- or rather, Great Big Ork -- theory of history, but the development required is excessive.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10781 on: November 25, 2018, 05:41:30 am »

There is Gladius, which is the closest to official Wh40k Civ you can get. Shame it's... pretty basic, and it doesn't show a lot of promise of stopping being basic, with the first DLC being essentially cosmetic. Which is a shame, since it had a really interesting and somewhat unique focus on combat even in early game, starting you off with a basic army and the planet being a shithole filled to brim with neutral enemies (so losing before even getting to see an actual enemy is not out of the question), which I found extremely fitting for Warhammer.

Also, Ghazkull case is another reason why I really don't like the plot advancement in Warhammer 40k. Clearly marking the way for who will be the big player and closing on the end game is just against the whole point Warhammer was about in my opinion. Not to mention I was more partial to Wazdakkas idea of cross-Galactic highway so he can go fast, instead of whatever Margaret is doing. I mean sure, the current direction is about the way people thought it'd go, but making it canon gives this annoying inflexibility to the lore, outdating bunch of cool characters and introducing stupid concepts like Primaris Marines and so on. I also have very low expectations on what can happen, considering the previous, what, four or five GW fuckups at advancing the lore in Warhammer, the most notorious one resulting in fucking Age Of Sigmar for WHFB.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10782 on: November 25, 2018, 07:34:55 am »

That would be awesome.

It surprises me that GW's present licensing shotgun approach hasn't extended to making some kind of stripped-down Ork-based Civilization-like. (Looted Civ, I suppose.) Just make research a function of Mek unit experience and off we go from squigs to Space Hulks.

That said, something along the lines of Looted CK2 would more faithfully represent the Orks' actually functioning via the Great Man -- or rather, Great Big Ork -- theory of history, but the development required is excessive.
Ork Spore, taking you from grot to ork boy to warboss eventually waaaaghing across the galaxy
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: November 25, 2018, 10:20:07 am »

That would be awesome.

Gorkamorka CK2 mod when

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10784 on: November 25, 2018, 08:02:38 pm »

Gorkamorka CK2 mod when

Oh, it'll never happen under the current shovelware 'n sequels-based licensing scheme, but a grand strategy game in which you play as Gork & Mork would be a genuinely innovative and weirdly lore-accurate deconstruction of the 40k video game formula of virtual tabletop play. (Which is another reason it would never happen.) Randomly generate the boyz, leave them under AI control, and only let the player control them via the allocation of WAAAGH! energy (read: blessings) and occasional prophetic vision to boost the bosses and Oddboyz with the best randomly parameterized AI/most immediately useful traits. Let fighting make them bigger, more technologically advanced and more volatile. Lead them to fight pretty much anything, lead the victors to fight everything else, and just wash the galaxy in a barely-directed green tide of utterly autotelic ultra-violence. The various Dawns of War and Battlefleets Gothic have dealt with the ultimate nihilism of 40k by focusing on artificially discretized and therefore notionally winnable conflicts while pretending they matter; why not have a game that acknowledges that the whole setting generates endless war for its own sake ad infinitum and just gets a good laugh out of the meaningless slaughter of trillions until victory and defeat are indistinguishable under all the blood?

Heck, if GW weren't so litigious I'd start coding that now.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:04:44 pm by Trekkin »
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 824