Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971828 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10815 on: November 28, 2018, 12:17:32 pm »

My impression is that psykers won't lose their powers when under the shadow, but all the telephone lines being crowded out with bugs talking to each other is a little distracting. That is, the psyker won't be suppressed per se, but will likely be too busy screaming to do anything useful.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10816 on: November 28, 2018, 03:14:59 pm »

Basically every psyker has a harder time manifesting powers, will usually suffer a severe brain injury if they try and is likely to be driven more insane than they already are by the mere presence of the Hive Mind. The Tyranids also beeline for psykers with their own psykers, so that usually adds to the stress.

Only strong willed psykers can fight Tyranids, the rest are gibbering wrecks or dead before battle starts. Strong ones can do most of their normal stuff though, like melting creatures into puddles of goo.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: November 29, 2018, 02:11:05 pm »

Tigirius managed to withstand connecting to hivemind and actually managed to pull useful intelligence out of it and sort of disorient it  ( as ultramarines for some secret lore reason can't suffer failure, like Sicarius solo beats necron god, yadda yadda, or Calgar outmaneuvres and outplans  most gotta go fast eldar force of saim hann with all the fast grav vehicles by using predictable codex astartes and DAMN RHINOS )

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: November 29, 2018, 03:08:12 pm »

Our spiritual liege wrote the codex astartes, so how could they fail
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10819 on: November 30, 2018, 04:00:17 am »

Look at it this way, Space Marines are better than any other human, and then there are Ultramarines. It's in the name. They're Ultra Space Marines, so obviously they're the best. Duh.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: November 30, 2018, 04:01:32 am »

I discovered last night that marines can be turned into Primaris.  Primaris lore keeps getting dumber and dumber and I hate it so much.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: November 30, 2018, 05:22:09 am »

It’s a way for GW to convert the rest of the SM models to truescale Primaris size, I imagine. It does feel kinda dumb. I generally like all the new changes and lore - we needed some new hope and life for the Imperium so we’re not eternally stuck at one minute to midnight - but Primaris feel like such an asspull way of doing so. I think you could’ve accomplished the same with just Guilliman’s return, Emps getting more active with Saints, the Legion of the Damned and whatnot. Maybe have Cawl instead produce extra regular Marines, perhaps with suspect or traitor geneseed so it sets up conflict and somewhat explains where these new resources came from.

GW could’ve then just gradually replaced their SM range with new truescale models without any lore changes if they wanted... though in such a case there’d be far less incentive to buy them at all.

I hear they’re reverting some of the stupider parts of Primaris, like them being immune to the geneseed corruption and weirdness of their native chapters (Blood Angels, Space Wolves) - instead  they apparently just manifest differently for them. Some people say they’re writing interesting stuff with the differences of Primaris and regular SM, but eh. I’m a bit disoriented by the fact we’ve suddenly had a century’s timeskip at some point when I wasn’t paying attention, too.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: November 30, 2018, 05:36:16 am »

It’s a way for GW to convert the rest of the SM models to truescale Primaris size, I imagine. It does feel kinda dumb. I generally like all the new changes and lore - we needed some new hope and life for the Imperium so we’re not eternally stuck at one minute to midnight - but Primaris feel like such an asspull way of doing so. I think you could’ve accomplished the same with just Guilliman’s return, Emps getting more active with Saints, the Legion of the Damned and whatnot. Maybe have Cawl instead produce extra regular Marines, perhaps with suspect or traitor geneseed so it sets up conflict and somewhat explains where these new resources came from.

GW could’ve then just gradually replaced their SM range with new truescale models without any lore changes if they wanted... though in such a case there’d be far less incentive to buy them at all.

I hear they’re reverting some of the stupider parts of Primaris, like them being immune to the geneseed corruption and weirdness of their native chapters (Blood Angels, Space Wolves) - instead  they apparently just manifest differently for them. Some people say they’re writing interesting stuff with the differences of Primaris and regular SM, but eh. I’m a bit disoriented by the fact we’ve suddenly had a century’s timeskip at some point when I wasn’t paying attention, too.

I'm confused by the geneseed mutation reversion fluff.  Does an Iron Hand (my space waifus) suddenly lose his desire to augment?  Does a Bloodraven unpsyche (given that their unusual number of psychers is a geneseed mutation)?  It's nonsense, and I hate every last bit of primaris lore (also the Primaris rhino-like looks dumb).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10823 on: November 30, 2018, 06:54:34 am »

New fluff is stupid. It's all one huge asspull that doesn't seem to tie well with previous fluff. First they introduce a way to stop Chaos, then they break that way and send Imperium into giant-ass state of "it's over son" only to asspull Primaris that save the day. Not to mention the entire feel of WH40k goes away from "lmao scraping the barrel but there's still hope" to "HIGH TECH TAU GET REKT". Not to mention Primaris design is eh. Have you looked at Reivers? Sure, skull helmets were a thing before but it had a reason apart from "i'm edgy totally not-night lord". I don't really even know. Wh40k was never specifically known for subtle design, and the same could be said for a lot of things before, but right now looking at half the stuff that's new it just screams "G.I Joe" or other action figurines. I mean, the baseline Primaris is okay, I guess (even if I'm sad Errant pattern, the previous evolution of Space Marine armour is now absolutely forgotten because before it even had time to be issued it's replaced by Primaris), but Reivers and Primaris Chaplains strike me as... going over the line. Sure, as I said, skulls, edgy imagery, but I felt there was a bit of difference between previous style which was more golden, decorative, invoking the gothic style and some of weirder historical stuff like various catacombs (or various chapels of skulls like Sedlec Ossuary, but I've been to two less known ones in Poland), the medieval cult of death, and so on, and current style which seems to invoke more high-tech but edgy stuff. Chaplains now look like fucking Reaper from Overwatch, for all it's worth.
I may be just rambling and dislike the new stuff because it's, well, new, but the feeling from I got from Warhammer before was taking the stereotypical view of "Dark Ages", kicking it to extreme and putting it into space, and then just adding everything else to the mix so there was a bit of everything, but over-all style was gritty, dark and toned down, with periodical sparks of greatness and of course remembrance of amazing Golden (quite literally) Age of yore. Right now it's a wild train of fuck knows what that I'd think is more compliant with fucking Star Craft or other absolutely generic Science-Fiction, except with throwing in some edge as an afterthought because "oh right it's still Grim Darkness of Far Future".
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: November 30, 2018, 10:58:42 am »

It's the long coat that does it for the Primaris Chaplain. That's a detail you wouldn't find in early 40k Space Marines. A surplice maybe, a tabard sure, but like you said: all these things are inspired by the dark ages.

But dudes in leather dusters with edgy skull masks and oversized accessories does seem like it's putting style above the themes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:03:24 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10825 on: November 30, 2018, 11:22:41 am »

It's the long coat that does it for the Primaris Chaplain. That's a detail you wouldn't find in early 40k. A surplice maybe, a tabard sure, but like you said: all these things are inspired by the dark ages.

But dudes in leather dusters with edgy skull masks and oversized accessories does seem like it's putting style above the themes.
Yeah, I later went on thinking why exactly old Chaplains didn't seem like this to me. I compared some pictures side to side, and the difference is pretty obvious. Old chaplains sure have skull masks, but they also have various robes reminiscent of medieval knights, there are candles, things that look vaguely like altars, books, kinda "angelic" sculptures, some crosses, tons of small details in the art, and some questionably historical but still stylistically similar things like purity seals, things held by chains, and of course omnipresent Aquilla motifs. Primaris Chaplain has a leather coat (though, to be honest, in art it seems to be cloth (i'm not sure, due to how shiny it is, but it seems to have more cloth-like appearance), but still it's something more reminiscent of... I don't know, Commissar coats? Not even sure about that, but it certainly isin't "not-warrior monks"), bunch of leather belts, skeletal ribcage, and his Crozius Arcanum doesn't even have wings on it anymore, it's now just a skeletal beating stick. Some of the previous stuff is still there, there's the halo, some seals and minor details, but they're not the primary focus and probably added as an way to link the new Chaplains with the old ones.
Also, what I think is sorely missing (though probably more due to GW not yet putting out enough art and miniatures) is chapter variation. Before a lot of chapters looked really unique, there was some variety in there, but now the amount of Primaris I have seen that aren't Vanilla Blueberry is really low.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10826 on: November 30, 2018, 02:27:37 pm »

Honestly moving the plot forwards Gee Dubya should've just committed to 40k end times without Primaris Marines, turn the clock from one minute to midnight to just straight up midnight. Necrons are done sleeping. Chaos has vomited all over the milky way. THE tyranid swarm has arrived. Ghazkull has created the WAAAAAAAAAGHHH that breaks the Imperium's back. Eldar have summoned a God to wage war against Slaanesh. Dark Eldar stand around being creepy goblins until a fucking white scar Primarch goes full Genghis Khan on Comorragh and forces the DE into realspace to actually do things besides be creepy goblins. The space marines consolidate into legions to avoid being swept away (Dark Angels, Imperial Fists, Black Templar taking the reigns instead of the Ultramarines), the lost Primarchs are rediscovered and the defence of the Imperium falls to isolated marines and regular dudes. Have Tau finally enter the long war as by now they're well acquainted with chaos, and have them go from dealing with chaos subversion to full on Tau Heresy 2: AI rebellions too, all whilst unleashing gigantic tau ion bug spray to deal with the eastern maw of nids. Release battle-worn spehss mahrin pauldrons to get the Imperial aesthetic from 'standing on our last leg' to 'stood on a landmine with our last leg.' Primaris Mahrins just seem like a way to phase in copyright friendlier post bois. Seems self-defeating to move the plot forward only to deus ex machina their logistical limits into infinity to freeze the plot whilst progressing it

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10827 on: November 30, 2018, 03:34:46 pm »

Honestly 40k end times would have potential to be pretty awesome, provided that it's done right and not spiritual liege-ed.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: November 30, 2018, 03:39:19 pm »

Honestly 40k end times would have potential to be pretty awesome, provided that it's done right and not spiritual liege-ed.

And then what do they do when next they need to sell more plastic? End times would crimp their ability to introduce new units absent continual retcons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: November 30, 2018, 03:49:40 pm »

Just because it's the end doesn't mean that nothing can happen afterwards~ the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never...

Could end up with exciting new things to make into plastic, like non-imperium human kingdoms, eldar finally on their front foot again, horrible mergers of chaos and nid...
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 824