Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965481 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's the pilot of Canis Rex, a Knight special character. The only wargear I can mention of for him is an archeotech laspistol, so I can't figure out what he's meant to be holding there.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile

nuclear football
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A pack of cold ones for the boys. He looks like he enjoys a good pint every so often.

I presume that beer exists in 40k, at least. Everyone's always drinking amasec or something, makes you think brewing was one of those lost technologies the Imperium has forgotten. Truly grimdark.

Eh, it's just like how coffee has been replaced by recaf. Although I imagine recaf is somehow synthetic, even though it's coffee/tea. Beer exists, but they never bothered to come up with a 'gothic' name for it and so never mention it. I'm still not even sure what amasec even is, it seems to get used like all kinds of different alcoholic drinks. It's meant to be like wine but lots of books treat it more like whiskey or brandy.

EDIT: Although based on this list it looks like Old-Foiz is the closest thing to beer.

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Imperial_Food_and_Drink
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:28:56 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure that amasec is supposed to be wine.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I always thought it was Brandy or Cognac one of those high-falutin sippin' alcohols.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It gets treated like both is my issue. Officially it's wine in the RPGs I think, but several novels treat it like brandy and similar, with characters having smaller glasses of it, it having a fiery taste or having hip flasks with a potent variant in it.

It's just one of the many inconsistencies that crops up from having so many writers over the years, but it still bugs me.

Fun story my brother had from Dark Heresy btw, he and his group were fighting some pirates outside a dive bar for some reason and the leader reeked of alcohol. My brother, playing a Scum, asked the GM if he could tell what he'd been drinking by the smell, passed a relevant check and then proceeded to insult the pirate's taste in drinks.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It gets treated like both is my issue. Officially it's wine in the RPGs I think, but several novels treat it like brandy and similar, with characters having smaller glasses of it, it having a fiery taste or having hip flasks with a potent variant in it.

It's just one of the many inconsistencies that crops up from having so many writers over the years, but it still bugs me.

I always assumed that the in-universe explanation is that they're broad categories of items to ameliorate the logistical difficulties of using a single species of crop to produce them when agri-worlds vary so widely. In other words, recaf and amasec both start as vaguely non-toxic biodegradable matter (food crops, silage, lichen, algae, wastepaper, corpsestarch, etc) ground into a homogeneous feedstock. Roast it and add enough caffeine, and it's recaf, whatever it actually is, and the taste is hardly germane to its function. Add genetically engineered STC yeast and ferment and optionally distill, and whatever it was is now amasec, and consuming enough to forget the taste is the entire point.

In either case, actually being able to notice variation in the chemical composition of either is prima facie evidence of Slaaneshi levels of hedonism, and it's not like anyone involved is going to live long enough to succumb to any incidental toxins that slip through the quality control servitors.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In universe I think they're officially broad categories for grain based wine-like alcohol and various caffeine based plants that can be boiled to make a drink respectively.

I personally think that recaf being a reconstituted caffeinated substance the same way Soylens Viridians is made of corpses and biological waste adds to the dystopian themes of the Imperium. Can't remember if DH had a price for recaf, if it did it was probably not cheap compared to average wages.

I suppose cheap tea leaf/coffee bean analogues are probably still available to most of the Imperium though. Mild stimulants seem pretty encouraged for the labouring masses to consume.

Underhivers probably know how to brew coffee from factory outflow sewage, promethium and swearwords though.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

I mean blackstone fortress has 'vintage amasec' which is able to be traded for any item, no currency required.
So... I guess it has a vintage?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What is he holding in his right hand?

A laser pistol stolen from the annals of Fallout.
Pistol 1 S5 AP-2 2 D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:07:03 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

A pack of cold ones for the boys. He looks like he enjoys a good pint every so often.

I presume that beer exists in 40k, at least. Everyone's always drinking amasec or something, makes you think brewing was one of those lost technologies the Imperium has forgotten. Truly grimdark.
In the BoomDakka Snazzwagon, there is actually a cupholder with a classic beer can in it. There's also some crumpled cans in the passenger seat. So, Squig beer does exist, and at least one Ork out there is running a Squigweiser company. Which would be an awesome short story
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the BoomDakka Snazzwagon, there is actually a cupholder with a classic beer can in it. There's also some crumpled cans in the passenger seat. So, Squig beer does exist, and at least one Ork out there is running a Squigweiser company. Which would be an awesome short story

It would be. There's such a lack of Ork POV fiction in general, though.

I wonder if maybe Squigweiser is run by a grot?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It tracks with other Guard stories about alcohol. They call it booze but it's coolant, hydraulic fluid, thinned promethium.

Actually Promethium is the same way. Chemically it can be a lot of different things, but everyone just calls it Promethium.

So when all those hoighty toighty Generals and Captains are drinking their amasec, and talking about the vintage, they're basically just full of shit.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So when all those hoighty toighty Generals and Captains are drinking their amasec, and talking about the vintage, they're basically just full of shit.

Well, real-world alcohols tend to have the same problem; wine experts have infamously had trouble distinguishing fancy wine from more pedestrian varieties by taste and so forth.

That said, just because most of the Imperium's getting drunk off of engine degreaser doesn't mean that there can't be amasecs with vintages in the sense that there's a listed origin and not all of the ingredients are redacted. Top-shelf alcohol might even have a brand, on the assumption you'll not only survive drinking it the first time but actually want more.

In the grim darkness of the far future, planetary governors drink Natty Light.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 08:01:28 pm by Trekkin »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Is it really so grimdark for the average pleb that they cant have homemade moonshine or purchase champagne?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

It would be. There's such a lack of Ork POV fiction in general, though.

I wonder if maybe Squigweiser is run by a grot?

The problem with Ork POV is that it kinda has to be lighthearted. Or at the very least, a lot more wacky then the usual Black Library fare. I mean, Deff Skwadron was pretty amazing, but that was a comic book, which does allow a bit more flexibility I think.

Would still love a tale of Caine having to deal with an Ork at some point.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 753 754 [755] 756 757 ... 824