Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965342 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

"Sigmarines"

Are they really called that

Are they even marine
Please... dont be silly, of course they are not called Sigmarines, that would be stupid. They are called Sigmarites.

See great difference. Product of many hours or days of intensive thinking.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Proper name for them is Stormcast Eternals. Because they're forged from mortal heroes in magical lightning, painful process as I understand it, and they get re-forged when they die.

Sigmarite is the general term for anyone who worships Sigmar, and has been in use since the olden days.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I can't stand all the copyright friendly renaming, just feels too silly to turn everything into Razorwing Militarius Maximal Voidspewers

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K discussion thread: TTS is dead: so long, and thanks for all the bolters.
« Reply #11988 on: October 04, 2021, 04:49:47 pm »

So the Black Templars are getting the largest single chapter release of models in more or less forever.

Primaris Helbrecht.
Primaris Grimaldus with updated servitors.
Primaris Emperor's Champion.
Primaris Marshal.
A Castellan based off some old Blanche artwork, which I think is a Firstborn rather than a Primaris marine.
Primaris Crusaders.
Primaris Sword Brethren.
Primaris BTs upgrade sprue.

Even spread over 2-3 weeks this is a big release for a subfaction. It covers basically everything from their old codex except for adding a primaris version of a Land Raider Crusader.

EDIT: In other news, my brother has got me looking through the Rogue Trader RPG books again, thinking about the various funky things that can be done with the origin system. Like being a mutant of obscene power at the start of the game, or a tech priest rogue psyker who starts stronger than an Astropath. Or just being insane, having Peer (the Insane) is fun. He wants to run a one shot and I'm still rattling around all the weird combos that the background rules can create.

It's also making me think about an idea for a oneshot, where the party are all woken up from stasis in an Inquisitorial facility that's been hit by a warp storm and suffered a containment breach as a result. PCs would probably be pre-genned hypno-conditioned Inquisitorial agents who were in the middle of being reprogrammed for a new mission when everything went to hell. The head of the facility is telling any surviving personnel to head to the command center over the PA system, and is irrecoverably fused to their command throne by the power of chaos and want to give their rosette and command codes to any loyalists left with instructions to detonate the facility's plasma reactor to contain the outbreak.

Got a few ideas for spooky scenes, like a crewman bashing their head against the wall until it splits open, with the crack in their forehead turning into a fanged maw as they start degenerating into a chaos spawn. An Interrogator possessed by a daemon of Slaanesh turning a floor into a macabre ballroom wreathed in soporific mist. Mortals twisted into unnatural forms, some hostile and some merely tragic.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 06:00:59 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: WH40K discussion thread: TTS is dead: so long, and thanks for all the bolters.
« Reply #11989 on: October 05, 2021, 07:22:21 am »

How did they make Grimaldus a primaris? Also yeah that is a pretty cool oneshot idea. Chaos is spooky

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11990 on: October 05, 2021, 08:30:00 am »

Unless lore changed, there was a way to turn a regular marine into a super marine.  Wasn't Marneus Calgar the first one to undergo the process?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11991 on: October 05, 2021, 08:58:17 am »

I don't know if Calgar was the first to do so, but firstborn marines can undertake a risky set of procedures to become primaris. It's referred to as crossing the Rubicon Primaris, a reference to Julius Caesar, and is supposed to have a high risk of death or disability.

Thus far no named characters have died or been crippled in the process, because it's really just an excuse to make new sculpts that are better proportioned and include a few of the aesthetic touches primaris armour and weapons have. GW are very averse to killing off characters, which isn't surprising considering how few of them there actually are.

So far the only character to lose out on the transition has been Khor'sarro Khan, who lost his bike because they hadn't made a primaris bike unit at that point in time.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11992 on: October 06, 2021, 10:22:25 am »

Unless lore changed, there was a way to turn a regular marine into a super marine.  Wasn't Marneus Calgar the first one to undergo the process?
Damn. Never liked the Primaris introduction, or the way it was executed. Imo robbed the setting of so much tension to having just been able to make legions of flawless supersoldiers all along with no drawbacks; they then missed the chance to have interservice rivalry between spehss mahrines and primaris... Just retcon my shit up fam

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11993 on: October 06, 2021, 10:37:45 am »

To be honest I was expecting either half or all existing chapters to rebel or half the primaris marines to be corrupted someway. Its anticlimatic at best. And kind of silly if you think in lore. You know what the Imperium needs more? Fuckhuge ships, thousands, millions, to blast the tyranids in space and reduce to dust the alien worlds without setting a foot in them first.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11994 on: October 06, 2021, 10:42:51 am »

It's just stupid. Astartes were already supposed to be genetic super soldiers, the pinnacle of post-human. Making another tier of that is the work of hacks.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11995 on: October 06, 2021, 10:54:51 am »

Perhaps a few tweaks here and there. Hey allow them to have a few flaws or drawbacks. No, they are better in every way. Better than what big E did himself... no drawbacks. They are bigger, stronger, smarter and incorruptible.

I wonder if all resources put into this, because it was not just the soldiers themselves, but the truckload of armor, equipment, weapons, ammo, vehicles and whatnot was made available to the then ongoing conflicts, how many loses would have been victories... but meh, the monitorum would have messed it anyway. So probably none.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: October 06, 2021, 10:58:10 am »

It's just stupid. Astartes were already supposed to be genetic super soldiers, the pinnacle of post-human. Making another tier of that is the work of hacks.

Could not agree more.  The whole primaris thing is one of the big reasons I didn't really get back into 40K fully when I started looking at it again a year or two ago.  It just felt like it was going in a direction I wasn't interested in.  I wasn't interested in throwing away all of my marines in order to get new super marines whose everything is totally incompatible (like they can't ride in land raiders...) and they staple as many guns as possible on everything to the point of comedy.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11997 on: October 06, 2021, 10:58:33 am »

And just as I finish rewatching Helsreach, the black templars get an update. Coincidence? I THINK SO!

Ahem, yeah, never was a fan of the 'extra-mariney marines' that is primaris. As if we didn't have enough of that elite-of-the-elite(-of-the-elite) with custodes and whatnot.

Also, apparently the new rules for the templeboys are, and I quote, "fucking OP".

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11998 on: October 06, 2021, 11:07:51 am »

A better approach would have been a: "We developed/found a way to accelerate marines production, or lower the piles of death/rejected". Hell I could have taken a "we raised the chaos resistance to a 98% and have a bomb in their skulls that go off if they convert to chaos" stupid approach.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11999 on: October 06, 2021, 11:10:10 am »

Perhaps a few tweaks here and there. Hey allow them to have a few flaws or drawbacks. No, they are better in every way. Better than what big E did himself... no drawbacks. They are bigger, stronger, smarter and incorruptible.

I wonder if all resources put into this, because it was not just the soldiers themselves, but the truckload of armor, equipment, weapons, ammo, vehicles and whatnot was made available to the then ongoing conflicts, how many loses would have been victories... but meh, the monitorum would have messed it anyway. So probably none.

To be fair, the Emperor basically made the original space marines as a last minute 'oh shit' plan B. Plan A was to have the Custodes and Primarchs kill the Thunder Warriors and then lead an army of mostly normal humans on the Crusade. Then the Primarchs got yeeted across space and he had to improvise with genetic scraps and a damaged laboratory. They results were far from his best work.

As for the materials given to the primaris, eh I doubt the Munitorum or Mechanicus would have let them be used. Cawl made basically all that stuff without the consent of the martion orthodoxy, only getting away with it because he's too old and powerful for them to confront outright about being a heretek.

They've been mid-tier post-humans for basically as long as 40k has existed. Custodes and Thunder Warriors have always been stronger and tougher and the primarchs were vastly superior to all other post-humans in every way when they got introduced. Possible exception for the Custodes because they're mentally stable and immune to corruption which makes them better than the primarchs in some ways despite being less physically powerful. Then of course there's the Assassins, who're all post-humans through a mixture of gene therapy and cybernetics and more dangerous than a space marine 99% of the time while being harder to kill.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 824