Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1562688 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 10101 bits and counting
« Reply #10980 on: July 15, 2020, 04:15:24 am »

Jhonen Vasquez writes:

"Disney World reopening is kind of a reverse pied piper scenario where a
festive rat is luring hordes of humans to their deaths."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: July 15, 2020, 04:47:39 am »

Isn't that old news by decades? I'm pretty sure it predates me.

The news predates us by centuries, actually. This is 3000 year old data they're going off after all. It's apparently news now because for some reason a twitter storm exploded over it despite it being old information.

*The athleticism is due to social reasons. Since we group school sports by birth date, those who are born just before the cutoff date are almost a year of physical development behind those who were born just after the cutoff date last year. This leads to a feedback loop of the older child being good at sports against the younger and thus becoming interested in it, becoming better at it.

I heard about that but in a much more disturbing capacity. Apparently boys born at the end of school intake year are 40% more likely to be diagnosed with ADD and be prescribed chemicals than boys born at the start of the school year. So not only is there a year's worth of extra development, they're misdiagnosing relative youth as a medical condition that needs to be controlled with drugs. I guess the lesson here is not to send your kid to school too young.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:53:06 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: July 15, 2020, 04:50:18 am »

Well that's lame, the stars changing is cool.

And if they fall as Lucifer fell
They fall in flames

Have I told anyone that I am a les Miserables fan

Jhonen Vasquez writes:

"Disney World reopening is kind of a reverse pied piper scenario where a
festive rat is luring hordes of humans to their deaths."

Didn't the Pied Piper end with the Piper stealing all the children and leading them (implicitly) to their deaths?

(Also what does "pied" in the title actually mean?)

Apparently there's a big blow-up on Twitter because of astrology.

A NASA article has pointed out that because of precessions of the axes and the general movement of the Earth and sun, the path of the sun is different through the constellations now. This includes different start and end dates for the official 12 star signs, but not only that, the sun now spends a good 3-4 weeks in the constellation of Ophiuchus (the snake). So, technically anyone born in that period should be of the Ophiuchulian star sign. Astrology fans are furious and refuse to believe it, which is odd for apparent believers in the power of the stars.

I loved this news when I first heard about it (in 2016, according to the article?) because I am a little better-know bitch.

According to this I am a Yemeni and not a Cancer. I have no idea what that means.

Then again this is NA "Pluto is not a planet" SA so it's not like they know what they're talking about.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: July 15, 2020, 04:53:38 am »

Oh here's the best laugh in this thing so far:

Quote from: triggered astrology believer
While Ophiuchus IS a constellation, it isn’t a zodiac sign. The sun passes in front of it, not in it, like it does for the 12 zodiac we are familiar with.

Oh bwahahahaha!. The sun merely passes "in front" of Ophiuchus, rather than "through" it, as it does for the proper constellations.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: July 15, 2020, 05:06:17 am »

Then again this is NA "Pluto is not a planet" SA so it's not like they know what they're talking about.
Pluto shouldn't be a planet, otherwise we would have to consider objects like Ceres planets too, to be consistent. I don't know about you but I don't want there to be like 20 planets...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: July 15, 2020, 05:10:01 am »

Pluto shouldn't be a planet
You have provoked a gang war.

Quote from: triggered astrology believer
While Ophiuchus IS a constellation, it isn’t a zodiac sign. The sun passes in front of it, not in it, like it does for the 12 zodiac we are familiar with.

Oh bwahahahaha!. The sun merely passes "in front" of Ophiuchus, rather than "through" it, as it does for the proper constellations.
You know, it's interesting how so many people underestimate the distances between our Sun and other stars.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: July 15, 2020, 05:11:55 am »

Pluto shouldn't be a planet, otherwise we would have to consider objects like Ceres planets too, to be consistent. I don't know about you but I don't want there to be like 20 planets...

No we don't, because those other objects aren't planets

Justice for Pluto! No retreat, no surrender!
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: July 15, 2020, 05:16:20 am »

No we don't, because those other objects aren't planets

Justice for Pluto! No retreat, no surrender!
This is probably a meme at this point but I'm wondering what's so special about Pluto that should make it such an exception.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: July 15, 2020, 05:17:45 am »

When you look at Pluto's RAWS it has the IS_PLANET tag
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: July 15, 2020, 05:30:56 am »

When you look at Pluto's RAWS it has the IS_PLANET tag
opens Notepad

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: July 15, 2020, 07:15:41 am »

This is probably a meme at this point but I'm wondering what's so special about Pluto that should make it such an exception.

Historical accident. If they'd found Eris and other Kuiper belt objects far earlier we probably wouldn't be having this debate. People care about things they learned when they were growing up not changing.

I've come across a mention that Ceres was called a planet for over 50 years  until they found the rest of the asteroid belt, so the re-definition based on basically the same criteria has historical precedent far before Pluto was discovered. So one alternative to kicking Pluto out that was considered was to class Ceres as planet 5, shift the others along and call Pluto planet 10. Now, instead, both Pluto and Ceres as called dwarf planets, rather than planet and asteroid. I guess the people who grew up calling Ceres an asteroid would be annoyed too that they now have to call it a dwarf planet.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 07:17:40 am by Reelya »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: July 15, 2020, 07:18:55 am »

Why would we want to live in a shitty solar system with only eight planets when we could have ten, I mean more planets means its better right?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: July 15, 2020, 08:42:15 am »

Apparently there's a big blow-up on Twitter because of astrology.

A NASA article has pointed out that because of precessions of the axes and the general movement of the Earth and sun, the path of the sun is different through the constellations now. This includes different start and end dates for the official 12 star signs, but not only that, the sun now spends a good 3-4 weeks in the constellation of Ophiuchus (the snake). So, technically anyone born in that period should be of the Ophiuchulian star sign. Astrology fans are furious and refuse to believe it, which is odd for apparent believers in the power of the stars.

There was also a comet (there usually is) that they could have used to predict bad things happening in 2020, but astrologers aren't even good at cherry-picking signs in their fortune-telling.

Quote from: astrology believer

As we all know, real constellations are painted on the firmament, which the sun is attached to.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: July 15, 2020, 12:59:06 pm »

Funny, my 'new' astrological sign is actually marginally more accurate to my personality than my 'old' one. Obviously that means NASA is 100% right.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: July 15, 2020, 01:08:12 pm »

Quote from: Scriver
(Also what does "pied" in the title actually mean?)

Striped, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 879