Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440189 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2014, 07:31:12 am »

How do you end a war? I pissed off the humans and they're at war with me. How do i end it?

You die or you kill every last one of them.

Is this true now?  Because I'm pretty sure in older versions they'd eventually send a diplomat or something to end the war, at least in fort mode.  I've never actually started a war, so I'm not positive.

I do not track forum too often. - Is Toady going to finally fix Crossbowmans? All those issues with picking ammo from bins and refilling quivers.. This makes me
apathetic..

He's currently in the bug fix cycle, so any old bugs are theoretically up for fixing now.  Having said that, hauling related things like this don't seem to be likely to get fixed soon.  He's got a lot of other stuff left to polish and fix for this version, so I wouldn't count on it, frustrating as it is.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2014, 07:40:06 am »

How do you end a war? I pissed off the humans and they're at war with me. How do i end it?

You die or you kill every last one of them.

Is this true now?  Because I'm pretty sure in older versions they'd eventually send a diplomat or something to end the war, at least in fort mode.  I've never actually started a war, so I'm not positive.

I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure, I have more knowledge in adventure mode. Still, I have never had them actually end their attacks.
Checked the wiki though. It says they may occasionally send a diplomat to try and end the war, so yeah, I was wrong. (I'll do more research before posting, heh...)
Still, it's not a certainty. Years might pass before you talk of peace.
And anyways, if you start it, you must see it through, that is the way of the !!FUN!!
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2014, 10:43:15 am »

So, I've made an adventurer, slew the last titan of the world and claimed his site for me, becoming lord.
Is there any way I can now start fortress mode build a fortress there as a member of my adventurer's group? I looked at the embark screen and we're part of the same civilization, but if I start a fortress, my starting 7 are their own group, right?
In short, how do I get my adventurer to be the ruler of my fortress?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2014, 10:55:10 am »

ptw for posterity.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:44 am »

Is the new version running considerably slower for anyone else?
I'm getting about 50 fps on a new embark.

The calendar (post-worldgen history) continues running in the background as you play.  The larger the world, and the longer its history, the slower everything will go.  Toady is planning to optimize this as soon as he can.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2014, 11:52:50 am »

So, I've made an adventurer, slew the last titan of the world and claimed his site for me, becoming lord.
Is there any way I can now start fortress mode build a fortress there as a member of my adventurer's group? I looked at the embark screen and we're part of the same civilization, but if I start a fortress, my starting 7 are their own group, right?
In short, how do I get my adventurer to be the ruler of my fortress?

Your first question and the short version aren't the same.
To the short version: If you retire your adventurer in, say, a mountain homes, then he may arrive at your fort and if the ruler dies, he may take his place.
To the other one: You can't be a part of his group, as it is not a civlization, but an entity within one.

Not sure about the latter part.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2014, 12:03:35 pm »

You can't be a part of his group, as it is not a civlization, but an entity within one.

I see, thanks. That's what I feared. I take it there's no way to cut my ties with the old civilization and found a new one, right? And even if, would I get migrants from other (the original) dwarven civilization?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2014, 12:07:52 pm »

You can't be a part of his group, as it is not a civlization, but an entity within one.

I see, thanks. That's what I feared. I take it there's no way to cut my ties with the old civilization and found a new one, right? And even if, would I get migrants from other (the original) dwarven civilization?

Really not my area of specialty, but no, I don't think there's any way to make a new civ, as the number of civs is predetermined at worldgen. And if you did make a new one, you would not have any ties with the original civ (except maybe hostile ones?), so you wouldn't get migrants.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2014, 12:13:50 pm »

Really not my area of specialty, but no, I don't think there's any way to make a new civ, as the number of civs is predetermined at worldgen. And if you did make a new one, you would not have any ties with the original civ (except maybe hostile ones?), so you wouldn't get migrants.

Thanks again. Just had an idea though:
Start fortress, on the site of the titan I slew, become barony, abandon.
Unretire adventurer, claim fortress site for myself, becoming its ruler, retire adventurer in that fort
reclaim fortress

Would I then control a fortress with the adventurer as ruler?

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2014, 12:17:02 pm »

Anyone know why military dwarves refuse to equip the weapon assigned in their uniform? Any dwarf who had a non-sword skill (macedwarf for example) will not equip a sword in their inventory, despite the military view showing they have gathered a sword. Left to pick their own weapons, they'll pickup and use whatever they have the most skill in.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:00 pm »

Not sure if it is a DF2014 thing or a small world thing? but I'm getting a lot of sites without any goblin neighbors. Just Elves, Humans and Dwarves. Does that mean no sieges?
My current world only shows Goblin neighbors in one corner of the world, which they seem to share with 4 towers.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2014, 01:07:31 pm »

Couple of Ag questions, about how many people can a farmer feed and if I have a 3x3 plot how many dwarves can it feed at max capacity, per season.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:46 pm »

Depends on the skill of the farmer, locustgate. A skilled farmer will produce larger stacks of food from the farm, feeding more people. Additionally, an effective farm will produce faster, due to being replanted hastily. If you have to drag each seed from your kitchen 30 levels down, it'll take a long time for one farmer to replant your field.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2014, 01:56:45 pm »

Couple of Ag questions, about how many people can a farmer feed

A single legendary Planter can probably handle about 50-80 dwarves.  But it'll depend on the efficiency of your fortress design (how far he has to walk from seed stockpile(s) to farm plot(s)), how lazy/dutiful he is, etc.  And this is also assuming you have other dwarves processing the stuff he grows (someone to bag the quarry bush leaves once Toady makes those actually start giving seeds again, someone to cook the quarry bush leaves, someone to brew the brewable plants).

It will also depend on whether you include textiles (pig tails, rope reed, etc.) for clothing replacement as part of the picture.

and if I have a 3x3 plot how many dwarves can it feed at max capacity, per season.

Best case scenario, growing plump helmets and ignoring the lack of variety, also ignoring fertilizer, you get 2 crops per season, times 9 tiles, times about 4 plump helmets per stack (Legendary planter) = 72 plump helmets.  A single dwarf needs 4 drinks and 2 meals per season, so that's 3 plump helmets (1 brewed, 2 eaten raw).  So your 3x3 plot handles about 24 dwarves.  Again, this is a best case scenario, and not realistic in a long-running fortress.  You'll need some booze variety.  You'll also want to use quarry bushes for food when those are fixed; those give you 5x the food per plant (each plant becomes 5 leaves = 5 meals after bagging and cooking), at the cost of not being available in every season, and taking longer than plump helmets to mature.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2014, 02:10:32 pm »

Ive played a few times but never dealt with Lava yet.  If I tap a volcano does it empty? can I drain all my lava? Or does it....regenerate, sorta of like a river.  Like is it finite or can I just keep pulling it from the volcano forever?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 268