Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440144 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2014, 07:42:13 pm »

that's a pretty funny bug.

It also has the behavior of them running all over the place after training has been attempted.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2014, 08:22:02 pm »

My hundreds of rejects are occurring long before it starts placing monsters or civilizations, though.  They're happening very early -- I usually can't even see what's happening before I've already got 100 rejects (fraction of a second).

In data/init/d_init.txt you can change LOG_MAP_REJECTS to YES, which will cause the reject reasons to be noted in map_rejection_log.txt.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2014, 09:30:47 pm »

I'm trying to set up my dining room near the sleeping area, a few z-levels down from most of my workshops. I can't get my tables down there, though. The way down is a spiral ramp. Do I need to put in a staircase or something?
Nothing important here, move along.

nightarix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2014, 12:17:38 am »

two questions:
1) Is having both the animals(dogs and cats for a consistent example) on the default embark be the same gender intentional?
2) Is the overview map showing more then i can access(i can only go a certain distance before it stops like it's the edge despite the map showing more) intentional?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2014, 12:27:13 am »

two questions:
1) Is having both the animals(dogs and cats for a consistent example) on the default embark be the same gender intentional?
2) Is the overview map showing more then i can access(i can only go a certain distance before it stops like it's the edge despite the map showing more) intentional?

Oh shit, I wanted to breed those cats for food, I didn't even check the gender.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nightarix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2014, 12:44:03 am »

Oh shit, I wanted to breed those cats for food, I didn't even check the gender.

yea i only noticed all the animal pairs i embarked with were mono-gendered because i was going to breed the dogs for thief detection purposes. oh and i'm not sure its bad rng so far all the embarks i checked have had no pet breeding pairs. not even the "haulers"(the ones that would've been pulling the wagon). though i've only checked on 5 or so embarks so far...

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2014, 12:58:53 am »

two questions:
2: I've noticed that, as well. I think it shows the center of the screen, and the stuff that looks to be outside is the edges.

nightarix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2014, 01:18:21 am »

oh another two questions
1) do roads do anything beyond ensuring a path to the trading post.
2) has anyone else had 2 wagons appear with the first liaison?

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2014, 02:43:02 am »

oh another two questions
1) do roads do anything beyond ensuring a path to the trading post.
2) has anyone else had 2 wagons appear with the first liaison?

1) You don't need them to have a path to the trading post. If you press D (shift+d) and it says Depot Accessible, you're good to go. If not, then you just need to clear away enough walls/boulders/trees to have a 3-tile wide approach to it. Then again, roads might give more positive thoughts to dwarves, at least if they're made well.
2)I do recall having that before, in previous versions, so I guess it happens based on your wealth or the wealth of the mountainhomes.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2014, 02:52:49 am »

How do you guys deal with tattered clothing build-up? It seems dwarves will drop the item to the ground, and they are making their way back to my finished goods stockpiles. Is the solution to do a manual dump on the tattered items?

Edit: My bad, I guess actual tattered clothing is treated as refuse. The stuff i'm looking at with the small 'x' next to it appears to be only 'worn', so I guess it's still usable?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:13:26 am by KingKaol »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2014, 07:31:59 am »

They dump their worn clothes in exchange for better non warn stuff, if theres nothing better they'll put worn stuff on untill it's completely tattered. Then it rots once it's in teh refuse pile.
Roads will stop trees and crap from growing along your trader path, though you could just put a stockpile down and get the same effect for free, but roads look better.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2014, 08:58:32 am »

I'm trying to set up my dining room near the sleeping area, a few z-levels down from most of my workshops. I can't get my tables down there, though. The way down is a spiral ramp. Do I need to put in a staircase or something?

I don't understand what you mean.  What happens when you try to build the tables there?  If the dwarves can walk there at all, they can carry a table there too.  Maybe you've done something with burrows that is preventing the dwarves from getting there, or your ramps aren't actually usable.  It would help if we knew what error message you were seeing.

two questions:

You choose the sex of the animals you embark with, when you select them from the "Items" screen (Tab from the Dwarves screen) during the "Prepare carefully" part.

They dump their worn clothes in exchange for better non warn stuff, if theres nothing better they'll put worn stuff on untill it's completely tattered. Then it rots once it's in teh refuse pile.

"Dump" is misleading here.  When a dwarf's currently equipped clothing article is worn ("x" or worse), she will try to claim a replacement piece, if a non-worn replacement is available.  If that happens, she will drop the worn article on the ground wherever she happens to be standing at the moment she realizes the new article is available.  Both the item she dropped, and the new item which could be anywhere on the entire map, are now owned by her.  If there is a path to the new item, she will attempt to go there, pick it up, and equip it.  (I'm not actually sure what happens if there is no path.)

The dropped-but-still-owned clothing will sit there until moved, or until its state changes.  Its state changes will depend partly on where it happened to be dropped.  If it's in the dwarf's room (any room assigned to the dwarf), then it will typically stay there forever.  She will never wear it again (unless she's extremely desperate, perhaps -- all other clothing is even more worn?).  If one of her rooms has a cabinet, she may move it into the cabinet.  Nobody else is allowed to touch it, at all, except to nudge it slightly to one side when building a construction or a workshop.

If it's not in the dwarf's room, then one of two things can happen: either she can do a "Store owned item" job, and move it to her room (this requires an open floor space, or a cabinet), or if enough time passes without that occurring, the item will lose its ownership and become fortress property.  At that point, other dwarves can claim it as their own, or dump it, or stockpile it, or bring it to the depot.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:07:07 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:24 pm »

how do I war train animals.  I used to do it from the stocks screen, z - animals, then w for train.

But I get spammed saying no animals to train and I got all my dogs in a zone.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6748
Quote from: Toady One
Looks like lingering combat data that was checked in one place but not another (causing spam). Should be fixed for next time.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2014, 02:38:22 pm »

I don't understand what you mean.  What happens when you try to build the tables there?  If the dwarves can walk there at all, they can carry a table there too.  Maybe you've done something with burrows that is preventing the dwarves from getting there, or your ramps aren't actually usable.  It would help if we knew what error message you were seeing.

Don't worry about it. It's actually a bug, and has been reported on the tracker. It's currently being handled, apparently dwarves forget they can use ramps sometimes.
Nothing important here, move along.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2014, 03:27:22 pm »

This might be either bug 7448 or bug 7412.

1) You don't need them to have a path to the trading post. If you press D (shift+d) and it says Depot Accessible, you're good to go.

Roads prevent trees from re-growing and blocking the route in the future.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 268